The boffins at Steinberg have been beavering away in their laboratories to bring us a brand new version of Cubase. That brings us up to the 10th version.What can we expect from the new release?
As usual Steinberg have given the interface a spruce up and it looks pretty good, but beyond the pretty here’s a brief rundown of what’s new in Cubase 10:
- Improved VariAudio - You can now control all parameters in each segment, essentially drawing the tuning in yourself like you would automation
- Audio Alignment - A must have tool for multi tracking, allowing you to sync up stacked pieces of audio to a designated target reference. Whilst not a new tool entirely, Steinberg have introduced an automatic syncing feature which should greatly speed up workflow
- New Channel Strip - As far as I can tell, they’ve improved the access to your plugins via the channel strip so it should remove a few unneeded steps in the workflow
- Groove Agent SE5 - This promises an ‘all new user experience’ no less. I’ll quote directly from Steinberg on this one:
“Gigabytes of new sounds and inspired workflow improvements. With a fully resizable interface, an acoustic drum kit christened appropriately The Kit, 20 new Beat Agent kits for electronic productions, one-click routing setup, Pad presets, in-kit preview in the new content browser and much more, Groove Agent SE 5 has many new features for you to explore.”
- Mix Console Snapshots - Take a snapshot of your mix set up at any time, add notes and compare it to other mixes. You get the idea.
- 5GB of new sounds - Here’s Steinberg again:
“Berlin-based Florian Meindl has produced the deep, grooving Analog Techno library with his modular synthesizer setup. The Beat Butcha, whose production credits include Jay-Z, Beyonce, Mobb Deep and many others, has recorded The Hip Hop Vault with great-sounding drums and unique loops. Soul Assembly is a collection from Soul Surplus, with a vibe perfect for the foundations of new creations. Drum and bass duo Rawtekk have produced Raw Ambience, a highly aesthetic sound library perfect for electronica, ambience and dubstep. Produced by Nashville-based producer Allen Morgan, the Blockbuster library is the perfect inspiration for electronic music film trailers. Mystic Spaces is a collection of extraordinary experimental sounds produced by musician, sound designer and instrument builder Ferdinand Försch.”
- Support for Midi Polyphonic Expression (MPE) - So you can now use your Seaboard MPE in Cubase. At last it looks like Cubase automatically checks and connects hardware as well.
- Virtual Reality Production Suite - Produce your own virtual reality content within cubase. I’ve not much experience with VR creation but it’s not going away, so this can only be a welcome addition.
There’s a complete list of new features here
here are some famous bods letting us know what they thinkMore information
For more information visit the Cubase Website
We like Cubase, it’s one of the first DAWs we came to and will no doubt always use so we'll probably end up with v10 at some point.
Has anyone got hold of it yet ? Will you be upgrading ? Let us know what you think in the comments.