Procrastinators Support Group

Posts 1 - 25 of 33
  1. 286783
    BadKonexion : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Hi

My name is BK and I'm starting this support group because I suffer from PS, procrastination syndrome. I have taken upwards of 3 months to finish tracks and as is I stand to finish only 3-4 more tracks this year, and who knows how few by next year!

If you have suffered, are suffering or know someone who is suffering from PS please feel free to post on this thread. It is an open community support thread aimed to help those affected from PS feel they are not alone.

Respect

-BK

2. 331356
    Unknown User : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

You're definitely not alone!

I would tell you more about my experience with Procrastination Syndrome... but meh, I'll do it later.

3. 116269
    DextDee : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

procrastination is a killer of both time and effort. good to know we are not alone. ehehe, but one way i can say to help. never start a track when u do not really have time to spend on it. and also never start a tracks u have second thoughts about it. u are subjected to if not never finishing it.

4. 363408
    SYLPHEERA : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

BK- I feel it too, man. I was once like you. Not just with music, but procrastination with everything. I'm a reformed PS
    sufferer. Their is light at the end of the tunnel. The problem for me is, I've now done a 180 backflip, and have workaholic's burnout syndrome (WBS for short). Out of the fryin' pan, into the fire. ironic, toxic, paradoxic.

5. 220346
    Peres : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Yes I definitely need to join,but I think i'll do it tommorow!

6. 364618
    Unknown User : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

lol @ peres..

7. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

I always procrastinate shht. All of my tracks have things that I would like to fix.

I know what needs to be fixed yet I seem too lazy to do it.

I dont know if its laziness or a glimpse of ADHD but I just cant stick with workin on one track for long.

I lose interest fast.

I think thats why I cant grasp the art of mastering.

I think I just dont have the patients.

( I know I probably spelled like a 3 year old but I dont care right now.)

8. 636839
    simmerdown : Thu 18th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Just seeing the thread title im lol

"Hello, my name is dungbeatl, and i am a procrastinator..."

Looperman.com : the Ultimate Enabler

9. 286783
    BadKonexion : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Real sad

Starting to get a feeling I may be chasing a dream for all my life.
    I'm facing a crossroad with my music life

BK

10. 636839
    simmerdown : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Unless you are putting off the decision as to which way to go at that crossroads, you are sadly off-topic BK!

;) jk

Why do you say that?

11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Why don't you try making some loops instead...their not tracks true,but just as musically orientated and it may change your output level or lead you into inspiration you might not have experienced or explored....there's been quite a few threads started about creative block or whatever you want to call it....ABBA used to work at their music around the clock and in a very structured way...there's something about dogged persistence paying dividends.

12. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Hahaha,
    Where do I sign up?

Lol.

13. 286783
    BadKonexion : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

@ dungbeatl, you are so right, I need the depressed musicians thread!
    I don't want to get into it too much, I met a bloke last night who aspired to be an actor and a musician as well at some stage. He was telling me how most actors are out of work or end up doing pointless commercials. Also that most young musicians form a band when they are young and in high schools, have there moment in the sun then move on with there lives, then there are those who make the decision to be musicians full time and end (most not all) unemployed or working 2 hour pub gigs and doing jingles for ads. That brings us to the other group who miss their boat, aren't keen to lower themselves to the pub gig standard and end up chasing the dream for the rest of their lives. Maybe I should have told him to shut up and walked away but this seemed to strike a chord with me and I have been in a depressed, sullen mood ever since.

@planetjazzbass I might give that a shot I have been meaning to. I sort of started tonight with some light stuff, just a basic loop for me to practice my scratching to then I busted up my mixer and only one channel slider works, the other only works if i push down on it and the crossfader does absolutely nothing. Is this a sign? Is the universe against my music? Am I a massive over-reacting, hysterical hypochondriac?
    Stay tuned the answers to this and more...

@SovereignKonceptz you already joined by posting (ps dig the use of 'k')

14. 583767
    eshar : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

joining this group is definitely on my 'to do' list :)

15. 278173
    lamardsol : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

if people didn't procrastinate

16. 247253
    n0mad23 : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

@BadKonexion - I think what you might really need is both another creative outlet, and giving yourself license to pursue it.

Sometimes taking a breather is really important. I know when I've put down a particular instrument for a month or three, when I pick it up again I can do things with it that I wasn't able to do before. I'm reminded about gestation and the insights of the alchemists here. Creative fires burn best when they're slow and steady.

But the key is staying creative. I had a wise old guy tell me a long time ago that my biggest problem is that when I don't create, I get depressed. If I'm depressed, I don't create. Can you spot the vicious circle?

I'm thinking that planetjazzbass' suggestion is a great one. Playing with sound at the loop level is a way to stay with the creativity, but it also might give you that pause that refreshes.

17. 372886
    Bilbozo : Sun 11th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

I'd like to join this procrastinator's support group. I hope maybe to join this week...or maybe in a month or so. Call me we'll do lunch, next week...er maybe I better call you, next week...er next month...dang !

18. 372886
    Bilbozo : Sun 11th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Oh and by the way men are always in danger of Procrastinate Cancer...so get yourselves checked out regularly. COUGH COUGH

19. 439229
    mrE : Sun 11th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

PROCRASTINATORS UNITE!!!...tommorow

20. 54911
    Jpipes24 : Sun 11th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

It's like that sign at Joe's Crab shack that says Free Food Tommorow and tommorow never Comes lol.

21. 583767
    eshar : Sat 1st May 2010 : 9 years ago

@ Ern -"PROCRASTINATORS UNITE!!!...tommorow" lololololol

but yeah I've resurrected this thread because I have a severe case of procrastinitis at the moment...:(

22. 177447
    AnomalyJ : Sat 1st May 2010 : 9 years ago

i'm guilty

23. 83445
    JohnBoutilier : Sat 1st May 2010 : 9 years ago

I'd like to help in this discussion, maybe tomorrow

24. 83445

Wait, I have that thing I'm not going to tomorrow, next month........... maybe

25. 83445

I'm sorry, I just can't get into this right now..... I have to...... I'll finish this later

Posts 1 - 25 of 33

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads