Hi/lo Tech Instrument

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 636839
    simmerdown : Sat 13th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

There have been many very cool new instruments that have passed in the forums lately. Here is a new take on a very old instrument, the berimbau from Brazil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVkItJTZ3OI&feature=PlayList&p=EDB48E05655AB000&index=80

I'd actaully like to try and make one of these, they cannot be bought, if anyone can ID the stompbox he used or something similar please post back up...

Here is some contemporary berimbau playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWNQlYR8Hs0&feature=related

2. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Sat 13th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Recreating instruments digitally is
    A feat in it self, somethign u can't help
    But admire...

Expesially if its instruments
    With a lot of expression, like
    A guitar or violin...
    I can't w8 to c wat happends in the next few years...

3. 247253
    n0mad23 : Sat 13th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Got my curiosity up here - unfortunately I'm getting error messages on youtube and can't see either of these.

I've got some kalimbas (finger pianos) that I'd like to put some electric guitar pickups on to replicate the sounds coming out of Congo these days. Look up Congotronix on Youtube for an idea of what this sounds like.

4. 636839

Bunk! I was really hoping for your thoughts on this nomad, keep trying, wtf?

5. 247253

Argg - it's Firefox. Another pointless annoying thing to resolve.

The electric berimbau: I want one! Seriously. Can you imagine playing the rhythm section of a set with one of these? It's on the same level as the electrified kalimba.

He's definitely got effects built into his instrument. I'm hearing a phaser and some sort of digital delay.

To me, it reinforces how "psychedelic" those "primitive" instruments can really sound. Just add a little modern tech, and voila. Check out my track "Cantus Ranocchio" to hear bamboo Jew's harps run through an antique Boss DD-2 digital delay. (And very cool to see the trance barimbau set using Jew's harps, too!)

Thanks for sharing this one, dungbeatl!

6. 247253

Sorry for the double post, but I've got to put this up.

Here's what's happening with the kalimba after using recycled magnetic pickups manufactured in Mexico or China.

Sobanza Mimanisa Live -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsqKpZpyPo

7. 636839

Now I want one of those too!, lol n0mad you are not helping me shrink my to-do list

Sux too, I sold a great kalimba I had at a garage sale for like $10, such regret....

8. 342174
    DJFredrick : Tue 20th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

wow very cool stuff guys. I had never heard of an Electric Berimbau before! dang....i so want one! :)
    imagine playing to one of those suckers and a thumpin' beat in the background...yeah! :)

puravida
    Dj

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads