Trance Production

Posts 1 - 22 of 22
  1. 367736
    Unknown User : Wed 3rd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Hey everyone, Routing Within here.
    Working on my latest mix which will be finished in a few days time.
    Let me share my latest discovery...

Ok, I know that Bass + Kick hangs around 60hz-250hz,
    your FX around 250hz-3K, and your Hihat's + cymbals around 5K-10K
    Also know a bit about mixing-down and mastering ...

However, I am still struggling with the final end production and achieving powerful, clear, and a feel-good mix

Is mastering done after you render the mix?? and what sounds do you EQ.?

Also having problems, getting a good sound for my baseline.
    I tried using filters and EQ's, but still, i need a rich and powerful end result and I am just not getting it.

Anyone want to shine a little light for me.
    Peace out

2. 367736
    Unknown User : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Wow thanx for the replies, .......
    Sigh

No worries, I finally figured it out.
    EQ only applies to your FX, using a filter for your bass cutting off the high FREQ, making the bass nice and puffy, boosting between 3K and 5K to bring out that running sound. Also not to forget 80-100hz boost for the kick and bass, little less boost at 80hz for the kick

With your FX , cutting high ( 5-10K ) and boosting 3K brings out a nice, good feel sound.
    Then using GOD, ( SoundGoodizer ), haha, and a Multiband Compresser, to finish off your mix, taking away that puffiness and opening the mix like a can of beans.
    Bringing out the warmth and clearing up those noisy FX.

Check out my tunes, will upload it in a few days time, @
    www.house-mixes.com/artists/Routing_Within/

Cheers people

3. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Im rlly surprized no1 posted m8..

Anywhoo..
    So, the frequency ranges u mentioned....
    Actually, a lot of instruments cover a large
    Frequency range...

A kick drum for instance,
    U could add a high end at around 5-8 khz
    And u can fill a snare out by applying boosts
    At arund 100-200 hz.

U could "beef" up a bassline
    By boosting at around 800-1K hz

My point is m8,
    I EQ a lot of my sounds seperate,
    To get them at a level I want them at.
    Just keep playing with an EQ till it sounds rite.

And
    I hardly ever put anything in the master
    Except a frequency anylyzer and a DB meter...
    I gotta phobia of puttin things in the master haha...

Haha,
    And don't render, then master...
    Master frst, then render
    Becuase trynna boost a frequency of
    A pad when eqing the rendered mix, will boost the frequency of everything else In the range u just boosted (remember, A LOT of sounds Are changed by boosting frequencies of any range. )

Cheers.

4. 367736

HEy

I totally agree with you on the mastering part, when i started Dj'ing I used to EQ my Master, not good...
    Cause of the Freq range between the different instruments,

However, a multiband compressor I must say is essential in your master, because you need a way to give the mix more high ends and bass frequencies, with high attacks and medium thresholds.
    Otherwise your mix will sound a bit dull and puffy.

I always wondered how a mix sounds like it is in a box, but at the same time out of the box.
    Well, with my soundgoodizer, included with Fruity Loops 9 XXL,
    it came out clear sounded and compressed.

Trance... Love the endurance

5. 357283
    Marius9 : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

I think more people need to post on this forum so I can learn more. I know absolutely nothing about mastering. The original post was an eye opener for me, so I have absolutely nothing to contribute, but I love reading it.

6. 367736

Well cheers Marius,
    no worries, all of us have to start somewhere.

Feel free to ask any Q's , this is just a discussion
    not a competition on who gives the best post.
    I will be happy to answer any uncertainties you might have
    Peace out

7. 223506
    siensystem : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Allot of people like to post the Computer Music Magazine recipes for basic EQ boosts and cuts dependent on a few instrument types. So I'll go ahead and post the reference so you can grab it from yousendit:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/THE1ckhWUnJnYU5jR0E9PQ

Note that yousendit only retains the files for 7 days so if you are not able to get it, send me a message to and I'd be happy to send it your inbox.

One thing I wanted to add is that allot of people confuse "MIXING" with "MASTERING". Mixing is the process by which you ensure that all your instruments sit perfectly in commune with each other in the mix. Here is where you want to head for that EQ so you can to ensure your bass sits nicely with the kick, the piano with the strings and the high hats with the vocals, etc. Nothing should ever peak or even be compressed to the point that it remains at -0.1db. I mean, you could if you want to but generally at the mix stage you want to leave at least -6db headroom.

Mastering is the process of taking that (properly mixed) mix and enhancing it further to a certain "standard". The basic mastering idea is geared toward uniformity between tracks (no track sounding louder than the other). But also makes the use of making the tracks sounds as "good" as possible. Note that I use the word "good" but today most people would replace that word with "loud".

Generally you'd want to Mix first then Mixdown to the highest quality possible such as 24 bit wav (un-dithered) then import the wav to master it and then render to whatever target file type you use for release such as mp3, 16 bit wav, etc.

At the mixing stage - never process/compress the master channel. A good idea is a decibel meter dependent on your target genre type. Such as using K12, K14, K20, etc.

Mastering stage - EQ for "creative" rather than corrective. If you want "corrective" go back to the mixing stage.

Note - The Computer Music Magazine recipes are general in nature. A good reference but not something you should take as written in stone or that should be used as the formula for all your mixes. For example, the snare advices work well for a natural sounding snare but may not for a synthesized snare since the frequency content will vary. I tend to dislike this statement but I guess I can't think any better: "use your ears" :)

There's more I can say but wanted to be a bit general. In the end, every mix is different and you can approach each in several different ways.

8. 742520
    TheSaucepan : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Computer Music Magazine is really a GREAT GREAT source of techniques...we don't get it here in the states except for select bookstores and I pay 20 bucks for mine (Yikes!), but there was a great one a month or two back that gave you 37-39 tips for improving your mix? I don't remember the exact count. Greatest month of the magazine EVER.

Anyways, for mastering, after you finish your initial mix, try to export it high-high quality (24 bit, 96khz) and then re-importing it into your DAW for mastering. I sometimes use the (what I like to call) "Flying V" on the EQ. It's not a guarantee, but it's a good place to start before tweaking.

I don't know if this makes sense or not...but the most important thing to check out is the CM Magazine!

9. 742520
    TheSaucepan : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

And I just noticed that Sien had the same idea...but before me! Oops!

10. 220346
    Peres : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

@ Damien you can subscribe to Computer Music Mag,$31.18 quarterly by credit card call this number 1-800-428-3003 quoting code E003 and you get the discount,saving $83.00.

11. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Lol,
    Wen I go to boarders to buy an issue of CM,
    Their always outta order...we didn't even get
    The one with the subscape producer
    Masterclass vid, which im dying to get.

12. 223506
    siensystem : Mon 8th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Yes, if I could afford it I would get the mag as well. Even the quarterly with the apparent savings is expensive. That's roughly 120$ for the year. damn!

13. 367736
    Unknown User : Tue 9th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

SUP guys
    Haha, yeah i would also get that mag, however with the exchange rate of this f**king country I would pay triple what you guys would pay, haha, that sucks.

Anyway, can anyone add something about the Equalization of a trance kick, listened to Commercial Hippies today and I just cant figure out the kick,
    it sounds like it hits in the back of your brain with a click and then a bassy feel at the side, also with the bass...
    Is that also done with and EQ ??? or another generator.

If anyone has not heard of VST's, check out these links for experimentation.
    http://free-loops.com/free-vst-plugins.php

14. 367736
    Unknown User : Wed 10th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

Sup people, check out a preview of my latest mix created with FL Studio.
    www.house-mixes.com/mixes/playmix/46222/silenthill.aspx

All FX has a low cut+High, boosted @ 3K,. bassline and kick- boost @ 80-100hz and also 800hz. KIck alone also a 5K boost.
    Used an flashbox buzz on the Lead for that wave'y sound, with a Multiband compressor on the master, used to cut a little bit of mid+high and also to add bass. Just love my bassssssssss.
    Further, I can just say, AUTOMATION...... rules.
    You show the PC, and the PC do.

Cheers

15. 310874
    NemesisV1 : Fri 9th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Masterization oftenly is made before u render ure final mix .

but there is a way to fix this , using Maximus ( Master Aid 1 ) and Equalizer together .

as for the basslines , i tend to use 3 sounds for basslines

Low Pitch Bassline
    Mid Pitch Bassline
    High Pitch Bassline

all together , gives out an extraordinary Bassline Quality which stands above everything else .

If ure using Fruity Loops , try using the following combination for a bassline : Nasty / Hard Bass / Bassline

those 3 can be found in the O3SX .

hope this helps .

16. 367736
    Unknown User : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Check out some of my mixes, all integrate into each other.

www.house-mixes.com/artists/Routing_Within/

The thing is, I did not use mastering, only post.!
    Cause I figured it was not really necessary.
    If you level your sounds, ( not EQ ), everything comes out great.
    I would say, you can use mastering for automation ( EQ, volume levels, and auto FX )
    And yes, in the end I saw that it’s best not to put anything in your master channel,
    Maybe an EQ, but only small changes. To cut at 80-90hz, and boost a little bit @ 3K.
    Boosting 3k brings out a good feel sound.
    Dithering can also blend the sounds beautifully.
    And your sync- rate, not bit- rate, should be at its highest.
    Comes out magnificent.
    Peace out guys

17. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

One question PsyRoot..I was going to check out your sound and see how you were progressing....only problem is,you have no tracks posted up on Looperman!...also it might be an idea to leave working links if you expect anybody to check them out....just a suggestion.

18. 384503
    clivewire : Sat 10th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

planetjazzbass, i got the links working try copy paste this in browser

http://www.house-mixes.com/artists/Routing_Within/

good bit of psy going on psyroot, in that neptune track, what synth and preset did u use for the bass 10secs onwards, before the main bass kickes in,

19. 367736
    Unknown User : Wed 14th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Sup guys

Yea, just copy the :
    http://www.house-mixes.com/artists/Routing_Within/

link to your URL,..
    and clive.. I'll check that out Neptune this evening,
    also know that, those mixes are not yet finalized.
    Will update all mixes in a week's time, with a beautiful EQ on it.

20. 367736
    Unknown User : Wed 14th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

O yeah
    Planetjazzbss, No i do not upload my songs on looperman, cause
    if I were to upload my music to every Trance site I register at,
    which is alot, I would use up my cap in about a week,
    cheers guys and enjoy

21. 367736
    Unknown User : Fri 23rd Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

PlanetJazZ
    I checked out neptune last night, however
    All the sounds I used, is like random loops and stuff
    I got from friends and also the net.
    Most of all the other sounds I used, is out of FL studio 9 XXL library, mostly / Generator/ Sytrus/ Sim Synth and ARP

One thing... before you start adding sounds, beginning the creation process, ,, master the most important, - KICK and Bass-line. If that sounds good you have this wall of sound that is just heavenly to your ears, following the sound FX that tells the story…
    You know that the story in the song is the reason why people want to listen to it.
    And what I mean with the story, . . it’s that one sound, individually, that gives you a memory from your past.
    That sound that gives you a feeling or emotion
    Just fill your song with these sounds, not random sounds, make the story SYNC in a way.
    Make it.
    Master it.
    Own it.
    Peace out

22. 116341
    Salkizar : Sat 24th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

dont master first like....SovereignKonceptz....render first THEN master your track! Coz if you do it that way then the wave or mp3 file will have very little compression etc on it and will be more responsive to said compressors and filters etc.....Think about it....if u send your track to a pro mastering engineer you HAVE TO RENDER IT FIRST dont you..? You dont go in and say...Hey man...can i just fire up FL studio on your system so you can ADJUST MY MIX and then render my track????????????

SovereignKonceptz is a little off i think......

Posts 1 - 22 of 22

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads