Amateur Behavior

Posts 1 - 25 of 25
  1. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Greets all,
    This has been on my mind for a little while now and I feel that it's finally time that I air my thoughts. Right off the bat I know that this may draw some questions and heat from the community, but I'm thinkin that it needs to be said.

Before I begin my tirade I must acknowledge that I am far from anything professional. Heck, I'm barely a blip on the collective radar of the entertainment world, but...
    I try to conduct myself as if I were a professional. Though, due to the 'human condition' I am prone to err just as much as anyone else. I'm just a wobbly wheel that by nature tries to roll right as often as possible.

That said, there have been things I've witnessed that lead me to believe that a good number of you don't follow the same code. And naturally this doesn't apply to everyone, no, it's like the old expression- "If the shoe fits..." So if what I have to say following this seems familiar you might want to readjust your tactics & approach...

Amateurs 1= randomly solicits their email address openly (and has multiple accounts for different purposes).

Amateurs 2= come on and phish for reviews & kudos without bothering to get out and network the same in kind (and then want to cry or act surprized when it doesn't happen/happen as much as they'd like).

Amateurs 3= randomly solicit their other web pages and/or services (ie, myspace or something 'Spamtastic') without bothering to contribute anything here (and act surprised or indifferent {like, "What's the big deal"} when other members try to school them on not doing that here).

Amateurs 4= try to talk about 'tha business' without doing their homework first (coming to the table talking about record deals less than a year out of the gate, for example).

Amateurs 5= bring their emotions to the table and conduct themselves as if they were chillin in their living rooms (allowing them to take control at the wrong times, ie, heated moments).

Amateurs 6= don't separate themselves from their work so they allow comments directed at their stuff to be about them, personally, so they get upset over something as silly as a matter-of-opinion.

Amateurs 7= creates account names that are different from their handle/stage name (you want to get out there and get known, right, well which is easier- one universal name or a bunch of random IM-like screen names?).

Amateurs 8= boasts about being the best or really good without any substantial evidence to back such claims (and often without researching the place in which they make their claims).

Amateurs 9= try to skirt the rules thinking that it's okay as long as no one finds out or no one tells (and then get mad when they get busted and punished).

Amateurs 10= don't bother to learn the system (coming on and expecting things to just work out in their favor and eventually learn that the world doesn't work that way).

Amateurs 11= take things and use them, but have lousy file naming and organizational skills so you end up seeing alot of these track descriptions that say stuff like "I used some horn and drum loops from here" without giving credit to the loop's author (and that's if you're lucky enough to get any kind of description at all, ya know the ones that simply read- "Hot track" and similar).

Amateurs 12= come on and leave reviews like they're text messaging someone (ie, "I like dis track man" or "Yo sh*t is wack son").

Amateurs 13= treat the site like a bus station, coming and going as they please, and deleting their profiles at will whenever things don't work out in their favor, only to come back after a short hiatus with a new account (with a few exceptions I usually ignore these people).

Amateurs 14= upload 50 bazillion tracks a year so that a review that was left for it will oft get deleted to make way for another "Blazin new jam" they made within a month or two.

Amateurs 15= will readily talk down about something (ie, a loop or track) without having contributed any of their own yet (it's easy to just 'Sideline comment' like that and pretty weak too IMO).

Amateurs 16= allow the smallest things to addle them and before they think what they say threw they'll make reactionary comments about something (and thus starting a chain-reaction of silliness, usually negative, about what that one addled person said).

Amateurs 17= make long-winded, pompous comments about 'amateur behavior' and therefore, I am going to shut my trap now. Lates mates!

DV.

2. 247253
    n0mad23 : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Once again, I'm thinking that D_Av is just the kind of moderator this site needs. Wait a minute, you are a mod, aren't you?

Donnie - I really enjoy reading your well thought out criticisms. And honestly, I really dig that you're so articulate.

Very refreshing in the face of 'language economy' that we're always butting up against.

Whether you're making money or not, you present yourself consistently as a professional.

Kudos.

3. 337508
    subSpace : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

wow thats deep and that is one hell of a rant and rave lol but it is understandable. i dont consider myself professional as it go's i have a lot to live up to but i am a good music maker and one day my dream is to reach that level. but i do agree that peeps that put tunes up and dint give a good description of there tunes. and that makes me beleive that they are amitures i mean i heard one tune today and it sounded like it was coming from a tape machiene with someone holding a mic up to the speaker if you know what i mean in there description they said its one of there best tunes i put him in his place with a constructive and polite review and at the end of the day some amituers are both bad loosers and leave at the first hurdle but some amitures are glad of our advice and go with what we say. so not all amitures i say are bad maybey 28 percent are bad eggs and the rest lead by our example. any hows peace

4. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Who got you all fired up DV?

I must say I have to disagree with some points. But then again I never claimed to be a pro.

Thats why im on an amateur community site.

1) I give out my e mail,...how else am I to collab? Telepathy?

2)I agree with this one,..lol

3)I agree with this one as well. Dirty Rotten Spammers!

4)I talk about "Tha Business",...havent done much homework on it. Thats why I ask questions/ talk about it on this site with others that have done thier homework.

5)I run on emotion. Im not a robot or a dead behind the eyes type of person and 9 times out of 10 I am chillin in my living room. Sorta like you probably were when you posted this.

6)Agreed,...No one likes a crybaby.

7)Agreed,... multiple screen names dont really make sense, unless you are trying to hid something. PS putting DJ in front of any name (even a badazz name) makes you look childish. (My opinion,...so no hate mail from the million different carbon copied DJs)

8)LOl,...I really hate when people do this. Super annoying really.

9) Honestly I think most humans run on this type of thinking. Dont act like youve never tried to get away with doing something wrong. Its almost human nature.

10)Agreed

11) Sometimes I dont know what to put in the descripts. Usually something general. But I dont need a play by play overveiw of a track to make me want to listen to it. I make music myself. I dont need to know about what time of day you made the track, what was going on in your life during the point in which you had worked on the track or even what instruments were used, I know what horns and strings sound like. As far as just puttin "Hot Track" yeah thats lame. At least Put "Super Hot Track". lol

5. 229129

Oops,..posted before I was done. So amateur of me. Lol

6. 229129

12) Yeah grammer takes a beating around here. Sometimes I think people do it on purpose to look "cool". More like foolish to me.

13) I agree to the fullest with you on this one. Remember awhile back when lots of people were posting in the forums that they were going to delete thier accounts because they didnt like the site or other minor issues? Well I thought it was the stupidest thing ever and half of those members that "Took a stand" created new accounts about a week later. Just looking for attention like children do.

14) I make lots of tracks. Only allowed 50. Never delete the reviews though,...I figure if someone took the time to review the least I can do is leave the review even if I update the track with something different.

15)Agreed

16)Agreed

17)LoL

7. 317475
    Unknown User : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Am honest so am gonna say this. i am guilty of majority of your point DV. my number guiltyness is 15. yeah i love posting all my experimenting tracks and am used to it now. i dont like puting them on the bin before people hear it. i always feel like someone might need it, so i post them. everyone has a different opinion to your post but that mine. we family now, so we all got to be honest wen we go wrong.

8. 317475
    Unknown User : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

meant to say number 14 about upload too many tracks lol

9. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Sat 13th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

DV I agree with just about every single one of your points, number 8 has always been my number one complaint, it drives me nuts when they post how super fantastic they and their songs are and then you listen and it so underwhelming bad or just average at best. In most cases if someone boasts about how great they are I don't even listen to the track, but if I do I usually won't leave a comment, I don't want to swell their head even more if it is good, and in most cases offend them if it is not. Being boastful about how good you are will catch up to you, people will get sick of it. I definitely am the epitome of amateur, that's why I am here, but I do try to do the best I can with what I have got. For those of you self-awesome described people we can hear your songs you are not fooling us, fyi nothing wrong with being humble, I give more respect to that.

Point number 2 is the other that drives me nuts, they ask for reviews and sometimes beg, but when you check their profile they have been registered on the site for awhile and have not dropped a single review to others, if you are that person, the best way to get reviews is to give reviews.

Number 12 is the one other thing that gets me, some people make themselves sound like idiots when they can not use proper grammar, half the time I don't even know what they are saying. I think we all learn in school that you do not write like you talk. Make yourself sound intelligent, if you are looking for a record deal, people are not going to hire someone who is an idiot, although some do slip through the cracks. Sure we all are going to have a spelling error or something else minor but that is normal.Anyway we all have our flaws, I hope people can show themselves a little more respect as well as others.

10. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

I just typed a huge response to this thread...then deleted it! lol.It occurred to me that I post far too many gripes in this place..I will continue to read this evolving vent with pleasure though!

11. 285149
    vigwig : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

I plead guilty to not giving specific credits to folks who made the loops I use. When I really feel good about the outcome, I"ve tried to note whose they were. Unfortunately I plead guilty to giving due by ID number. I always note whose vocals I use, including mine.

I rarely post "hot track, listen to this" if ever. Once I noted a track that made it to a hundred plays. Then I read stats are for people who rate themselves by stats. I think for me, a hundred listens is a big deal. Especially when some have avatars and colored names.

I plead guilty to saying a few extraneous comments in my descriptions. Loop this and loop that gets mundane, and heaven forbid I ever get mundane.

I plead guilty to uploading tracks I'm not proud of but don't know best protocol for weeding them out now that I think I'm improving. I also plead guilty to having no idea what the difference is between some of the genres. I apologize for that and try to discern where they best fit besides "weird."

I have a short attention span but a high compulsive/obsessive span. I am retired so I have unlimited (except when the complaints about eating and taking my meds gets too loud) time to devote to piddling around. that means I sometimes get possessed with a track and sometimes I don't fine tune it enough.

I am an amature and I know it. Thanks for listening to my tracks and thanks for listening to me. I'll now return to deciding which denture glue to use.

12. 322747
    KooLKYLE : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

@Amateurs 4: when i ask a question about the bussnis side of things i useally post it in the forums so i can get maltiple awnsers and so other can read and lern aswell :)

13. 329433
    Unknown User : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

almost time for me to exercise my quarterly "13th amateur amendment" option pretty soon! LOL!

14. 156145

how about 18

when somebody else has a rant or rave (i.e me) they get banned but its cool for others and mods i suppose thats not amateur but childish none the less....whoops there i go raving and possibly banned

15. 220346
    Peres : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Someone is having a rant.I think most of what you refer to is done by young kids who mostly just started making beats and I think they are just excited at posting and making their first ever beats give them time they will learn. They have a very rosy picture of the world,they don't realize they have to learn and hone their craft and that there a millions out there like them doing the same thing. As to all the other stuff we aren't perfect and it takes all sorts to make the world. Your rant reminds me of a program on british telly called Grumpy Old Men. Yes some of your points are valid but D! Take a deep breath count to ten or dammit just reach for the valium,lol.

16. 220346
    Peres : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Forgive me Father for I have sinned,lol!

17. 220823

"Amateurs 7= creates account names that are different from their handle/stage name (you want to get out there and get known, right, well which is easier- one universal name or a bunch of random IM-like screen names?)."

Well, with a stage name like "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", Looperman does not allow that many characters as a screen name. I refuse to change my stage name to fit the Looperman criteria.

I understand that you have your gripes (as I do myself), but this notion of professionalism you speak of is purely objective. I think every person has a different perception of what is "professional". There are some people in the music industry who present themselves on a lower code and standard of ethics than some schmuck off the street. With that said, I think we need look at the mistakes other people have made before us, (I know this sounds rather trite) and learn from them.

18. 60800
    jahknow : Sun 14th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

I smoke Elvis Presley's toe nails when I want to get high.

19. 230755

hehehehe, wait...whaaat?

20. 274163
    d2d : Tue 16th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

to D-V,
    Man, I'd like to see your list of what a Pro WOULD DO on this site... That would be much more interesting!

Take your time, hurry up & list it out. LOL!
    d2d

21. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Tue 16th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

disagree with most of your points

22. 60800
    jahknow : Tue 16th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

@ d2d Pros smoke toe nails.

23. 274163
    d2d : Tue 16th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Right on, Bro! LOL!
    I prefer the female ones with that little line of white paint on 'em... you know... the french ones. LOL!
    but, mostly I'm a live and let live kinda guy.
    So, I say, "smoke 'em if you got 'em."

24. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Fri 19th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

@d2d- alright mate, thanks for suggesting that. I made a new thread for 'pro solutions' (haha) and here's the link...

https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/88569

@Jahknow- haha, you feelin alright?

@Improvewitherror- how so?

@dv8- aint it on the back bumper, man?

@PRESSone- will include my answer to yours on the other thread the next time I continue the list.

@Peres- you're probably 110% right in that observation (mostly youngins, but there are a few older chaps that I've seen doing this stuff too). And I lulz @ the comparison to 'Grumpy Old Men'. For the most part I'm super duper calm. It's just that after a while of seeing the same things over and over again it becomes irksome, ya know what I'm sayin?

@Estae- I'm not exactly sure what one has to do with the other. My post was done in a constructive and neutral way (no name dropping and the like).
    As for what happened in your situation (if I'm thinking back to the same thread as you are)- you were banned because of your negative behavior along with breaking some of the rules of the 'Forum Posting Guidelines'.
    Though, it's odd that you even bring it up now, because you're account is good now right? And my post is similar to the one where you were banned how?

@Thezerit- mate, you're cool with me, but that comin-n-goin nonsense has got to go. Kinda one of the reasons that I don't check out your stuff anymore, know what I'm sayin?

(okies before this gets too long I'm gonna break this off here, BRB)...

DA.

25. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Fri 19th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

@KoolKyle- It's cool mate & you're right... How are you going to learn if you don't ask. Though I do a better job of answering that one in the response thread I made for this (the link I placed in my reply to d2d).

@vigwig- How's retired life treatin ya? I'm kind of in the same boat (though I go to school 4 days of the week, beyond that, nothing). I haven't had a 'real' job in about a year and a half. (sighs) Life is pretty sweet right now IMO.
    As for the crediting loop authors, it's more of a perk than a requirement, but if ya do wanna credit them then it's all a matter of creating a file naming system that works for you.

@PlanetJazzBass- Cool deal mate. I suspect that it's just in your nature (you interact in the way that you're use to... as do I). One thing I might recommend is that ya try a practice that I use (as often as I can remember to, haha). It's something that they taught us in the Army about firing our rifles (blink, inhale, aim, exhale, hold breathe, squeeze trigger, breathe and blink again, repeat). That system helps you stay focused and usually generates higher accuracy in hits.
    Here it'd be like- read (or listen), reply, re-read, adjust response, hit 'Post Reply/Review/whatever'.

@ImproveWithError- Opps, you were jokingly talking to someone else in that other post, my bad.
    Yeah, having a huge ego behind the art is bad. Having a little is okay, because it is your creation, after all. Though in time we all need to learn how to chill out and be humble about what we do.
    I can't speak for everyone else, but when I see people doing this 'Cry for reviews' thing I just end up ignoring them. Hoping that time and maturity will cool their jets (or make them wise up to the way the system works).
    The way I see it with this one is that it's like a mix between making a first impression on someone (for the first few encounters) and the portrayal of a person (maturity, attitude, mannerisms, personality, etc). If someone wants to go around acting like they're still in middle school I say, let 'em. Because all this does is show other people how they behave (letting them judge for themselves whether or not they want to get to know this person).

@BeatMasterDoubleR- Yeah, it's definitely a learning experience. I guess all that matters in the end is that we learn to adjust fire and fix our mistakes. We grow from that kid who can barely dribble a ball, to the guy makin razzle dazzle seem so easy.

@ConeyIslandRecords- I actually used your reply (and 1 other) for the basis of most of my 'Solutions' I wrote out for this (so check out the other thread to read up on the first few, the email address/collab one in particular... will have to wait on the others).
    As for who, no one in particular. Like I was sayin above in my replies, it's just something that I've been seeing for the past year and some change.
    Also, posting with breaks is keen, because it keeps it from becoming a book (or TL;DR- too long, didn't read). Sssalright? Sssalright!

@djcodex- I hear ya mate. We're all at different levels of expertise and as such, come to the table all offering different things. All I'm trying to do here is streamline things (to get everyone to read on the same sheet of music, so to speak).
    As for reviews, they are a complex beast to tackle, because of above said experience levels and because of the many different things that can tie into what is covered in the review.
    My approach has evolved into being alot like Mickey from the Rocky movies mixed with the way the Dora The Explorer cartoons entertain and educate (umm, I think that'd be the best way to put it). Hard love in the same shell. Done in a way that's part companion, part parent, and part neutral observer.

@n0mad23- Yep mate I still am (would rather be a 'techie' though). Articulation? Perhaps its from school... Scratch that, because they try to incorporate that 'language economy' too, to accommodate for the number of students in a class (ie, 5 minutes max for presentation). Hmm, maybe it's from basic, or more specifically, wall locker or bunk inspections. The good ones are left alone, the shabby ones are tossed. Basically, I try to present the best side of myself (in whatever light).
    Here some might say that I'm a loud mouthed braggard talking at length about a bunch of stuff that I'm not privy to or enlightened enough about. Though, if we were to pretend that the activity on this site were like carbon-copied transcripts to be included for review in a resume then I am doing what I can to make myself shine (pops a hole in head to deflate ego, haha...).

And I step down from my soap box once again. Lates mates!

DA.

Posts 1 - 25 of 25

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads