Problems With Drum Beats

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 337508
    subSpace : Wed 3rd Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

i have noticed that when i ever listen to a tune on looperman the drum beats are always low and the overall tune overpowers these drums. if you make a tune make your drums higher than your samples turn the drum beats up to full if you have to and from there listen to the tune and if it sounds to loud stop the tune and turn the drums down slightly and listen again and repeat this untill your drum loops sound level with the whole tune listen to how the kicks effect your speakers with tunes that have a bassline your drums need to complement the whole arrangement

you see its the drums that define your tune as a whole you dont want to have a tune that plays and all you hear is the melodies with the drums sounding that they are behind the tune if you get my drift any hows happy music making

2. 337543
    Vin : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Its not a matter of pumping up the drum volume, its about the mix as a whole.
    If your beats are lagging behind everything else in the mix then it's probably more than likely down to a bad mix.
    To fix this,
    go to your mixer and drop the faders to 0. then start by pulling up the faders on the drum channels till they peak at around -6DB (pre mastering)
    Then increase the volume or build the rest of the elements around your drums one channel or element at a time. Another thing to remember is in order to keep the kick and snare at the very front of the mix is to export them as MONO audio tracks and then re-import them to a mono track in the sequencer. As the Kick and Snare are the backbone of a track that should never be lost, doing this will ensure they remain upfront. When your building everything else around your drums remember to stereo split, pan and EQ everything else, this will give a defined space for every element and will increase the amount of free space in the mix for additional elements.
    Just remember this and your mixes will improve
    MONO: Kick, Bass, Snare, Vocals,
    STEREO SPLIT (L+R): Hats, Pads, Guitars, or other elements that were created for depth

So, Dont just pump up the volume, approach it from a more technical point of view.
    Best.

3. 247316
    WoundedBuffaloBeats : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

I agree with vftek...i always start with my kick (sometimes spending ages gettin a kick sound that i like and setting it to a nice level) then i get the snare goin along followed by the hats and percussion. Everyone has their own methods but it is just a case of gettin ur mix right, dont think its a simple as just "turning ur drum track up"..once i have a nice keyboard for example goin and i program a bass around that, i will turn the keyboard off and work the bass around the drum track then making it fit nicely with it and then set the keyboard around the drum and bass tracks...then evertything else is worked around them...

Peace

WB

4. 247316
    WoundedBuffaloBeats : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

lol...my grammer seems to be terrible whenever i write in these forums...soz guys..haha

5. 209373
    KIESERSAUCER : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Yeah Vftek knows what he's talking about! Those are excellent ways to get a good mix.Another thing that's important to is to filter out certain frequencies that the human ear can't pick up giving you a more clear distinct sound.

6. 337543

@ wounded buffalo:
    Thats it, everyone does things differently. If they didn't everything would sound the same dynamically which would make production completely generic. The points I made are really just the fundamentals of getting some nice space in a mix and presenting each element equally.
    @KeiserSaucer:
    That's a great tip, building on that I would say to eliminate frequencies that don't need to be present in your elements, like dropping alot of the bottom end out of high hats, and the high end out of basses etc. It tightens up the mix and defines and creates space even more in your mix.
    Nice one!!

7. 220346
    Peres : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Nice tips Vftek,thanks!

8. 337543

No worries Mate.
    Just want to say sorry to djcodex for this unintentional thread hi-jacking.
    Ill create a new one instead.

9. 636839
    simmerdown : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

Some solid info there, gonna go do some tweaking (of music, that is) right now, thanks all

10. 346251
    Odis : Sat 20th Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

I had a problem with this for a while, but then it morphed into another problem where the drums were over powering everything else.

11. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Fri 5th Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

@wounded buffalo
    I do tha too.

Start of with my kicks....
    Most of the dnb kicks I use
    Don't need much processing.
    Simple parametric to EQ a punchier
    Hit. Then snares...once those lvls are
    Good, I'll lvl everything else accordingly...

12. 230280
    Xtaticauk : Mon 26th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

its all to do with compression rate dude - if you use 5:1 compression - threshold -14 and hard knee - set attack to around 0.5ms/delay 10msand gain to any thing from 7 upwards the kick may step out a lot more - the more gain the more emphasis - stop before distortion though -

Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads