How Reviewing Someone Elses Work Makes U Better

Posts 1 - 19 of 19
  1. 302625
    Unknown User : Thu 5th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

Whaddup fam.. i just wanted to share a revelation that i had today, i realized that by reviewing other people's work, you learn more about yourself. So, to keep it short.. when you review, become a reviewer.. when you produce, be a producer.. a shout out to 'Epic productions'..

Peace!

'Beat Logix'

2. 583767
    eshar : Thu 5th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

I'm definitely with you on this one....listening to other people's work and taking the time to offer a few words of praise and encouragement or advice on how they could improve helps everyone...some get it and some don't...glad you get it!! :)

3. 247253
    n0mad23 : Thu 5th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

On a similar note - I'm finding it increasingly difficult to review people's work who don't review themselves. Especially if a language barrier isn't an issue.

When I see someone has 50 reviews and has reviewed 2 or 3 tracks, I have no compulsion to offer praise or critique.

It's something to consider.

4. 1
    Looperman : Fri 6th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

I dont have much time to listen to or review any tracks but I always think that those that take the time to give their tracks a half decent description and title make it easier to review and probably get more response then those that dont.

Always the best way to get inspiration though is to listen to what other people have made and the best way to improve is have a fresh pair of ears tell you what they thought of your tracks

5. 158799
    alividlife : Fri 6th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

... what has reviewing done for me?
    I learnt how to master
    layer
    mix
    do automation
    try better and unique vsts
    understand tips and tricks
    I get inspired

still need to get better at writing songs!

I have made a couple really really cool friends...
    Maybe some fans...
    I enjoy it -- more times than others.. i have been bad lately at reviewing :(

@jhonattan, agreed!
    @elaine, agreed-- i will ttyl! lol
    @sean, yah, with some people it can be kinda bleh-- and then there's people like me who never check their e-mail or go thru phases...
    @sean, definitely true, songs that have really long descriptions with the process it took, and the sounds they used, or who it's dedicated too or etc, definitely illicit a bigger emotional response from some people. then again, I have heard great tracks with almost no description... might be interresting to see if there is a psychological thing about it lol...

6. 158799
    alividlife : Fri 6th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

err @shan (typo lol)
    bleh

7. 302625
    Unknown User : Sat 7th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

Definitely.. everything said by you guys is what it's about, we should grow the reviewer/observer/critic in ourselves, just the same way we grow our inner producer. I'm not a top reviewer i admit it, but if there is something obviously wrong with a track, i will say it though. I guess then that the most fragile part of the review giving process, is when the receiver get's constructive feedback.. which he could see as negative feedback, or positive.. the funny thing is these are two things that you will always draw emotions from to put in your track.. so what I'm trying to say.. is.. it's all good!! :)

8. 302625
    Unknown User : Sat 7th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

It's all about learning from each other, before i got onto this site, i was trying to find producers or other people who shared ..the same thoughts that i did about music, but i couldn't find them, or if i did, they were very secretive about music producing.. and i never understood it.. so i thougt F it, I'm just gonna learn myself, and that's when i started my own path on this musical journey, I've kind of isolated myself from a lot of producers, and i have just been doing things for 4 years without knowing what i was doing, so for me.. im learning things in reverse.. im learning theory now but i had a lot of practice with things.. so, what's interesting is, if i look at my earlier work up until now, i notice a couple of things.. the fact that when i started producing, i was doing most of the right things already.. and then somehow i started experimenting and got lost.. the things that got me to the next level, were purely accidental things most of the time! it's not even as if I'm in control of my progress.. but that accidental discoveries are in control somehow.. or to put it this way, when you try to push things to a new territory, that's when your growing.. yeah that's it.. hhehe, sorry guys i just woke up and rolled a spliff.. had to reply to this post in depth. Didn't want you guys to think I'm not serious about this post, which i am.

Shout out @ Looperman, i'm loving this site..!!

To all you other producers.. thanks for this, you guys all rock.. finally a group of dedicated, serious people.

9. 158799
    alividlife : Sat 7th Nov 2009 : 10 years ago

hehe
    my ... inert goal, was to learn something from EVERY person that reviewed me :)

It's gets pretty nuts when you have 30 reviews....
    14 reviews?
    1 review?
    lol

Elaine has reviewed almost 2000 times and Elaine know's how to loop!
    and actually waay more if you think about all the cats that strangely delete their accounts..
    (why would you?.. it's just free loops?)

I am behind on reviewing regardless ;)

10. 317887
    rc191191 : Wed 3rd Feb 2010 : 9 years ago

That is so true....In all aspects.....When we teach we learn. It reinforces in us what we know, helps cement things we forget.

When it comes to recording my own music, I am new, I have played the piano for 22 years, the quitar for about 6 months, but still a baby at putting it all together and actually creating something that has never been heard or done before, because I DID IT MYSELF....so coool when you think about it....
    We here can actually create something that someone will be touched by, moved and affected by.....to be able to create an emotion in a possitive way is awsome.....

And for me it is healing...Someone here said, cause I have it on a wav file, said
    "Music is my medication"

I spent 20 years as a Soldier and medic, and my soul has been affected by what I have seen and had to do.... and this is good for my soul, mind and health.....

So if you see any of my stuff, please, give me advice and comments......I appreciate and respect all those who actually participate and take the time to say something about our work

rc191191

11. 213464
    SovereignKonceptz : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

@rc191191

Musik moves ppl. It
    Has ever since the frst caveman figgerd out pounding a hallow log makes some noise.

Id try to review a lot more often, if I had better internet. Would u believe I have dial up? Haha, I do, which is hell wen trynna listen to tracks.

Its wat I get for Livin in the boonies here In Hawaii. But it influences me in a large way.
    My musik (which I've been doin for abt 5 months now)
    Reflects me. Reviewin others gets me thinkin abt wat im doin...I still need alotta werk, so Imma keep reviewing, and crackin at it.

Peace,
    Sovereign K

12. 358063
    Mechanic : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

I'm a begginer at this and would never dream of giving a critisism to someones work, but then again it is difficult to build on praise, criticism you can work with.

13. 96919
    TaraToxic : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

I agree, i love listening to peoples tracks and 9 times outta 10 i try to leave a positive review and feeback, and advice if necasery(spelling) I'v learnt alot about my producing techniques this way, i'v learnt everyone has their own style, even if it is partial to one particular genre, everyone has different ways of producing.

This makes me learn more as a producer, if i like the way someone has done something to their track, i always ask for advice or how they did it, learning all the way, after reviewing lots of peoples tracks and asked them questions, it not only gives them a chance to show off their skills on their techniques, but gives me a chance to better myself.

which makes the person feel good, that another wants to have their knowledge. :)

14. 96919
    TaraToxic : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

P.S Constructive critisism is always welcome on my tracks, infact if i get another member saying, maybe change this and add that, i try it out, nearly all of my tracks are influenced by ideas from people on this site.

I also had a really good tip from a local producer in my area, listen to tracks you like, over and over if you wanna, build your track around their techniques, not copy or anything,

for example, i wanted a heavenly bassy string intro, so i listened to the original 'your my angel' and learnt how to master layering strings perfectly to create atmosphere without using FX.

although i do shy away myself from giving crisisism, as i feel like i'm not knowledgable enough as yet to tell someone where they are going wrong, well its music, you cant go wrong, its a matter of taste!

so is everyone like me and thinks constructive crisism is a must-do? if people want this maybe i should start to do this with reviews, although it does give you a knock down when you think your track is perfect in every way and someone comes along and says, do this make it better....or is that just obligational thinking?

15. 357283
    Marius9 : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

I really try not to review a track unless I have some suggestion to give to someone. Compliments are always nice, but most people are here to make their tracks better, or get some positive exposure and feedback so that they can cut an album that might sell some copies. Me, being the ego maniac I am, however, like the compliments. Keep them coming!

16. 340647
    Phyruis : Tue 2nd Mar 2010 : 9 years ago

amen amen amen.. that's what I've been saying for fecking years...brilliant to hear some else saying ... FINALLY

17. 146967
    DjBA5 : Mon 12th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

yea i totally agree i always try an lend a hand when it comes to reviewing, i get annoyed when ppl dont review an awesome track, its mainly because of the reviews an the descriptions that draw me into a track, ive learnt alot about me while reviewing and thats why i firmly agree with yall on this.....

Big up looperman :)

18. 247253
    n0mad23 : Mon 12th Apr 2010 : 9 years ago

Actually, 2 of the last 3 tracks I've posted here have really become what they are BECAUSE of revising the tracks using suggestions made through constructive criticism.

Salook's suggestion regarding vocals on "Moorlough Mischief and Ire" made it work (validated by several emails I received after). And alividlife's comment on counter-melody, while I didn't do what he'd suggested, set me off in a direction that I'm really pleased about on my "Predatory Ruminations of the Leaping Razor."

The key, I believe, is identifying your intended audience (to use the language of creative writing). In other words, pay attention to those who understand your music and what you're trying to do, and play to them.

We can't please everyone, and I don't think we should even try. Instead figure out those who you want to enjoy your stuff and pretend that they're your audience when you compose.

And pay close attention to the constructive criticism they offer! The really cool thing about this approach is it really becomes a case of one hand washing the other. Your insights and suggestions for their music becomes equally helpful. Especially if you apply your own constructive criticism to your own work!

19. 358310
    JustTony : Sun 20th Jun 2010 : 9 years ago

Being new to the site and game, I'm absorbing all I can. I know I sing praise to some loops in private, but haven't done so as much on here as I should. I actually just got around to using this site more since taking up rap as a personal musical direction. Look for me to be dropping love out there to those I really enjoy. I still can't promote PianoSounds enough though. I really love what the guy does on here.

Posts 1 - 19 of 19

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads