Whole Lot Of Questions About Making Music (trance But Some Q's Apply To Other Genres Too)

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 119452
    Astrobouncer : Thu 28th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

Ok guys so I been making music a month come this march and I find the more I learn the more I realize how little I know about all this.

I have watched and learned a ton from tutorials online (and I look for more every day) but alot of them dont mention little details or even some basic stuff.

So I was wondering if I could get some help with some small things I am not sure I am doing right.

1.) When I am setting up a track and adding effects like Reverb and Decay, should I add those effects to the instrument accompanyment as well? Like say to the snare or hats? What about kicks? I assume no for kicks and havent added any effects to those so far, but I am not positive here.

2.)Speaking of reverb and decay can anyone give any advice on some settings for trance with those that are good starting points before further adjustment? Like usually I been starting around 30-40% reverb (changing up the dry level between 75% and 100%) and working from there but honestly I dont think it sounds right. What about reverb on the hats, snare etc?

3.)I havent really used decay much yet because my songs sound all out of time with the different melodies playing if I put decay on 1 channel only. Should I just put the same decay on every melody channel playing? But then whats the point of decay? What about decay on the snares and hats, etc?

4.)High pass and low pass, etc. I understand the basics, but should I EQ every channel independantly (even the accompanyment?) to make sure theres no unwanted frequencies? Or is that going overboard?

5.)Compression. What exactly is this? Is it just to give things a 'crushed' sound?

6.)Is there any tips you guys can give me right now on making a better final sound? My songs sound very rough to me and not very polished at all.

Thanks in advance for any help. Even if you can answer only one question that would be helpful!.

2. 63133
    RogueAi : Thu 28th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

Compression with EQ can make a punchier kick. In my song's you can hear the kick even when there is a lot of things going on in the mix. Decay is a synth effect. It is part of ADSR if you know what I mean. It adjusts the length of the decay or in other words how long it takes to for the note to end. Short decay for bass and longer decay for leads, pads and other instruments that need to sustain.

3. 119452
    Astrobouncer : Thu 28th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

Okay now do I feel stupid. I actually only just noticed the many tutorials on this very site cover alot of the questions I asked so I am reading them right now.

@ Travis thanks for the help I think I get it now about decay too.

4. 83928
    thehandthatrocks : Thu 28th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

all i would say is have a play with the effects until you are happy with it. you will get better the more tracks you make. practice makes perfect as they say...

5. 111251
    Unknown User : Thu 28th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

men lot of questions here!!!
    well there is no corect answer to any of this questions.it all depends how do you want your track to sounds.
    effects make a better sound.tutorials tell you how to apply effect to sound.you have to decide how do you want your melody,or whatever,to sound then apply effects to that sound.
    i hope youll understand what im saying!
    (sorry my english is bad i learn it by my self,as you can see!)

6. 124702
    Musika : Fri 29th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

i've been asking the same questions a while now. i'm into hip hop/rnb/dancehall. Well i want to know whats about EQ. do i apply EQ independently to different instruments in different channels or do i apply it to the whole mix/song in the master channel? wat about reverb? do i need to add reverb to nstruments or drums or snares or hats? pls chk out these beats i did with FL7, i havent done any mastering on them. tell me how i can improve.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vzp4ns

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bg3ouw

Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads