Any Music Software That'll Work With Linux ?

Posts 1 - 14 of 14
  1. 233631
    JDOT2006 : Mon 13th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

I couldn't find a similar thread though it may have been discussed prior ... figured I'd start a specific one. See, a friend of mine came by my house last week / weekend and happened to be using my PC that I use strictly for music production, mixing, recording etc ... Well, I noticed that he was on Facebook and had like 5 tabs open in Firefox and started clicking away, he clicked on a Mahjhongg game popup right before I told him to stop and shut my computer down, and then boom, there you have it, an instant ROM corrupting virus where all my PC does now is constantly restart and then turn back on and then restart and then turn back on and then restart again over and over, you get the picture ... Sooo, I'll get to the point of this thread, until I get it fixed ( at some point soon hopefully, as well as my other pc ) I just so happen to have another computer setup - but the difference with this one is that I run Linux as my OS. I absolutely have no idea what kind of software or hardware is out there that'll work as I am not a regular Linux user, I just so happened to have needed a working computer a year or so ago and I still have it "just in case". I basically took an old HP that I had laying around, retrieved all the necessary files and information I needed and then bombed the hard drive and installed Linux. This computer ( which Im using right now ) is used primarily for typing documents, storing some pictures, some music and occasionaly surfing the net. So I was just curious if anyone out there within this kick a$$ looperman fam, knows of anything, and I mean anything, free, expensive, whatever, that I could use to make music using a Linux OS because Im addicted to making music and without FL8 and Reasons, Im starting to go crazy over here in the mountains ... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

J DOT ~ 2006 Unite the Music

2. 68799
    bosonHavoc : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

here is one
    http://ardour.org/

i dont use linux though because of ableton live
    so i have no idea about it.. but i have heard good things

3. 68799
    bosonHavoc : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

http://ardour.org/node/2800

4. 68799
  5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

Unfortunately Linux ain't ready yet for audio production....i have also tried messing with it for a while but without results...to many things having to go togheter in order to create something...Ardour is a good aplication but lacks some good plugins and your gonna be sick of always patching the Jack aplication used to connect all the ins and outs of your analog and virtual equipement.
    If your into audio recording rather than a more synthetized sound it could do the trick but you'll need a good audio interface with multiple ins and outs and the n...comes again the jack aplication...which will always drive you crazy...but it's free and you can always try it out and see what comes out.

Cheers,
    Malu

6. 605220
    Ensam : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

I'm with Malu on that one. I tried a dual boot system for a while with an extra hard drive but I have now removed it. All I would say is if you do get it running in a way that works for you then turn off the auto updates coz every time it updated I had to start from scratch again. Ardour is a great app but a pain to set up every time and it only records audio, you have to start linking up other apps if you want midi and thats if you get them to work. If you are very patient and want to go the Linux way the look up
    http://www.artistx.org/site2/

Its a complete music and video o/s with every music and video app thats available for linux already installed and ready to go.

Simon

7. 605220

Sorry forgot to say there is a program called LMMs which is supposed to be the linux equivalent of fl so here is a link to that one and the last link is for a complete list of software for linux but like I said before I would go for the package I listed last time coz all these apps are already installed for you.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Linux-MultiMedia-Studio-3149.shtml

http://sound.condorow.net/

8. 129499
    Avail : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php

The Best you can get for free. I tested it out in it's beta phase, pretty cool imo. Similar to FL

9. 233631
    JDOT2006 : Tue 14th Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

Wow ... thanks everyone, for real ... bosonhavoc - Mahloo13 - Ensam - XxYounG, I really appreciate the advice. Im actually checking those links out right now and things are looking pretty positive, I just dont know what route to take. Hmmm, I do have to say that I've checked out Ardour and it is nasty but LMMS is looking pretty good right about now .... soooo yeah, Im doin it, its downloading right now - * pumps fist in the air * - Thanks again for taking the time to assist me with this, I honestly do appreciate everything.

J DOT ~ 2006 Unite the Music

10. 605220

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Simon

11. 240593
    morphx99mq : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

I repair pc's all day and see so many virus problems it is insane. I have always dabbled in Linux but recently have switched completely over to Ubuntu Linux. I am using LMMS and Audacity. LMMS is great once you figure it out. I am used to using Acid and Magix Music Maker in Windows and LMMS is not quite the same but after using it for a few days I think it might be even better than what I was using before. I have tried Traverso, Ardour, and Qtractor with no luck on those. Oh, and Hydrogen seems really sweet for a drum machine.

12. 233631
    JDOT2006 : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

Such great advice ... from everyone again. Thanks.

@ morphx, on my Linux tower, I use Ubuntu and have never been happier. I personally thinks its the best version besides Redhat.

@ Ensam and others ... I have used LMMS and Audacity and its great, still not too used to it but I'll get there ( I have since got both my PC's fixed and my command center is back up and running so I have been slacking in using LMMS but its there if something like what happened to me happens again. Just want to say thanks again to all who offered there advice and links as well.

J DOT ~ 2006

13. 76999
    DJ_JEZZA : Wed 22nd Jul 2009 : 12 years ago

If you want Linux based platform DAWs go to the Open Source website, and search there, theres often programmers that have made a program or 2 for what you need.

You think it and its usually there.

Every Linux user that is skilled enough (me) can tell u that u can even reprogram for example Logic and Reason for mac > uses same kernel (base code) as Linux.

So Mac Software often runs on Linux (depending on the version/name of the linux)

So Open Source, or mess with Mac Downloads (often free)

Laters

14. 275272
    HustleUnion : Sun 8th Nov 2009 : 12 years ago

very good point DJ Jezza open source means you can change what you don't like. most often someone already has.

Posts 1 - 14 of 14

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.