The Purpose Of A Bad Review?

Posts 1 - 24 of 24
  1. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

Umm, I guess this could go in 'rants and raves'...

Anyways, I was just wondering that the logic was behind giving a bad review of something.

And I'm not talking about the ones where people are offering up constructive criticism either. Where they point out problem areas. Offering up suggestions about fixing or improving this and that.
    No, I'm talking about those ones that are blatantly rude and are otherwise useless. (ie, you suck)

Given that we can delete these reviews (and even report the more vulgar ones) why would someone be inclined to write such things?

I was kinda curious to get some other opinions on this (leaving the ones I have out for the moment).

Though I should specify that I'm not looking for any qouted comments here or for any name droppin either (those kinds of things should either be reported or just deleted). Just thoughts on the matter is all. Thanks in advance & I'll check ya later!

DV.

2. 439229
    mrE : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

well the answer is obvious.sometimes peeople feel the need to degrade others to feel better about themselves.

3. 192978
    3HEADEDMONSTABEATZ : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

i've delt with it all my life people bad reviewing me ,it just makes me step my game up and work harder, ima grown man and if sum one says i suck im not going to cry about it. most of the people making dumb reviews seem to have bad reviews, so it must be a low self esteem thang, my mama always said "if you dont have something nice to say about someone dont say it at all" take that!!!

4. 372886
    Bilbozo : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

In some cases it could be jealousy as well. Perhaps anger at the fact that the person puts the effort in making a good track. I know my genres (Rock, Blues, Jazz) aren't as popular as say Trance, Hip/Hop or Rap. I get a few that tell me my work sucks because it's not a genre they like. Bizarre

5. 148594
    ECKSjoe : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I think MrE hit the nail on the head there.

6. 168469
    Unknown User : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

It's the same mentality of the bully on the playground. Somebody hurt them earlier in life, and they take it out on others. In all actuality, it boils down to one word. Weakness. The weakness of their mentalities make them feel a need of power or domination over others because they were made to feel helpless or weak in the past. Add to the mix the fact that the internet allows people to be anonymous, and you have the breeding ground for ignorant behavior by weak people. I laugh at the feeble attempts made at me in the past by such people, and honestly the best way to deal with them, is to ignore them. Let them go back to being the weak, insignificant nobody that they were before they tried to lash out by giving a review that says less about your tracks or loops then it does about them.

Peace Out!!MC

7. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I think a bad review could be a good review all in one. I myself am inspired by bad reviews. Makes me wanna make that person eat thier words. Some people are just haters/ jealous some people are honest and others are just retards. I try to stay positive. I know my tracks are good ( not the best by any means) but still good. So bad reviews dont bother me. I think anyone who gets all butt-hurt by a bad review needs to re-evaluate priorities.

8. 264821

well i think its a lot more than any one situation. im sure there are hundreds of reasons why people give bad reviews. some times people are not rude, that is just how they talk all the time. lol. i know lots of people that most of you would consider to be , rude, prude, sarcastic reallll cursive, ha ha ha but then these people are loved where i come from. but yes they do talk like that. and its not that they are rude , truely i say!!! they are being themselves. but i will say its hard to tell where they are comming from so to speak. where i come from we dont say hi or hello we say F U. well mostly the guys, its a guy thing up there. and its funny! living in lawrence was so bad that you just had to say F it. just to be sane enough to live there! lol. but take that person and put him on the web, see a problem? see it not always the intention to be really bad, its usually for me a way to be. not a bully. i spent most of my years fighting the good fight ( trying to be a goodie two shoes, like somebody i know...and that got me beat up everyday for years. until i faught back. when i did. i saw that they where just like me, with a different outlook on life. that all, nothing more, just different. so me and my bullys became best friends. one thing i did lean about real bullyds is its not so much that they were bullyed, it was a lack of love from either 1 or both parents most of my bullies where without a father and had a nagging mother instead of a loving one. when your shown no love, its almost impossable to see someone else get love without hurting inside. its a sickness thats only cured by love, and sometime an ass wipping, followed by more love. lol but that is just how i handled it. now all my bullies comes see me once a year in floridia to see how im doing. and when i see them the first thing i say to them is F U! and they know that that is a big welcome in my book. people might just be having a bad day? ever thing about that? or might be that they were givin a bad review and now they feel like its theyre turn. id dunno could be hundreds of reasons, def not 1 reason. i have even gone and givin sombody a bad review after they did it to me. thats is me being a bullycrusher. love how they respond to theyre own garbadge. lol it quite funny but i know it wrong, but on the net im all about fun. lol

9. 168469

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Most of the time the reason behind those reviews is plain stupidity.

Peace Out!!MC

10. 247253
    n0mad23 : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I'm always unsure about how much constructive criticism to actually offer up. Looking at most of the reviews, I've wondered if this is something actually desired by most. Personally, I want to know how to improve tracks but have noticed that my comments aren't necessarily appreciated.

11. 216244

uh oh. I hope this isn't about the eminem review thread i did. i thought i was pretty impartial about the whole thing.

12. 158799
    alividlife : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

nah, purge, i thought it was a good review...

i think this is about looperman track reviews.

i welcome both rude and constructive and positive.

i probably think worse about my music than anyone anyway.

13. 158799
    alividlife : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

The main thing about constructive criticism is that we all hear things differently.
    We have different tastes.. I feel kinda trite even talking about this.
    I prefer somber, minor keyed work. I like distortion. I like nuances in music that could be heard as "screw-ups".
    Sure polished pop hits are great.
    But I like my metal and punk rock.
    I dunno...
    There's a lot of jerks out there (i may be one, not sure)..
    lol.. i have the lyrics from Tools - Hush off of the Opiate album stuck in my head.

14. 20874
    MonsieurDongBag : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

It's simply to let you know that they don't like your song. Honestly, it's no different (structurally) than someone just saying "cool track". Some people just don't have the words to properly express in detail what they mean. That's where "you suck" or "nice track" come into play.

15. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

@Purge- Naw mate, like Alivid was sayin, this is geared towards track reviews.

@Nomad- I too feel similar things when I go to comment on something. Typically, I do this 'If I were mixing this' kinda thing. That way it answers what Alivid was sayin about 'different tastes'. Though if something is really outta place I'll say something about it (mastering issues and such).

@Michael- I'm with you on the second thing.
    There might've be subtle hints dropped to that view in my first post, but I mean, you'd have to be stupid to think that people would actually value such thoughtless nonsense.

Now for the other stuff, I'd have to agree as well.
    =Cyber-bullying to make someone feel like they've got bigger muscles than they really do.
    =Net-nerds who phish for drama and rises outta people.
    =Faceless types that contribute nothing more than site traffic.

Though, like Clutz was sayin... In some ways it could just people being brutally honest and narrated in mannerisms that they are accustom to.
    And dispite the rudeness and stupidity of it all I do appreciate these types of comments cause it stop and makes you think about what you're doing. And like Coney was sayin... Through this self-evaluation it makes us want to be better. If for nothing else than spite, ya know?

And suddenly I feel like I wanna take a nap (shrugs). Too much Pizza for lunch maybe, dunno. Anyways, that's a brief flyby of what I think about it. Later on!

DV.

16. 76999
    DJ_JEZZA : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I have given about 2 bad reviews in my time here, and ive been here ages, my 2 bad reviews where about "copied" work, so they dont really count :P

@D_V - on the note of faceless people was'nt shan going to add a clause on accounts that if they didnt contribute anything worthwhile and just sat around they would be deleted?

Cyberbullying - its happens everywhere, i guess we delete/report and be done with it (thats if it causes you any heartache)
    On the Note of Phishers, they usually are 30-40 year old virgins in thier moms basement, who join websites just to complain.

But it doesnt bother me, if someone takes the mick, its usually due to thier lack of knowledge of a genre, or as people might put it "I is ere for da battle, yea homie" (no offence to people who speak this way)

Lates

17. 247253
    n0mad23 : Thu 18th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

@Donnie_Vros - great tip, and it approaches the issue with the right rhetorical stance. There's far less risk in offending someone unintentionally that way. I figure that constructive criticism (as input) is best handled in the same way that "workshopping" pieces are - namely you incorporate what advice works for you and ignore the rest (while making polite nods at the attempted help). Thanks for that tip, I'm going to use that approach in my next "helpful" criticism.

18. 264821
    Unknown User : Fri 19th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

i also foud that a "thank you" works too. just let them think there right , if theyre wrong. and they know it, they will just let it go- thinking they where right. works in worse case senarios. the thing i love the most about music, is that it is for all ages and all maturity levels because we may be the same ages but not the same maturity level. some younger people wish to be older quicker and tend to think they know more based on there academia skills but lack patience. older people tend to have patience but lack new depth and so lack the ability to cope with younger things, newer thoughts. and even though this behavior is not tolerated to most, people who dont know or didnt feel a strong need to know, will just be people. wich of course is life so ya know. everything is in review just so you know. our minds are picky about things before we can even really understand what it is that we dont like. alot of it is based on chemistry. there is chemistri in everything known. so that is what the real problem is then huh. lol. time to chill.

19. 158799
    alividlife : Fri 19th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I was chatting with a good friend.. thinking about this subject.

and it's really like.. this is free music.. you chose to review.

Really it's about identity. How you Identify with the music.

I think reviews say more about the person reviewing, than they do about the music. (obviously)

anyways... just a thought.

20. 264821

oh i just got reminded of something that had to be added here. there are people who make negitive tracks, that know that they are negitive, and still ask for a responce or a review. that is a trap. all they are really looking to do is start trouble. when ever one person has something negitive to say about another in genral it is usually out of pure jealousythat one can simply not messure up. and so has to find a way to inflate theyre head as to be the biggest balloon head in the room. my advise would be to ignore these tracks and people all together. it just not worth the time. if you know your work is good let it stand on its own. no need to look for a parade, just be happy for yourself. life is too short to let anybody rain on you sunny day. ah look the sun is out! beutifull day outside!. time to make a beat!. lol

21. 110150

Its all about the point system. Those who give "bad" reviews are only trying to get there points up. or to piss that person off of whose track they are reviewing. Id say 25% of looperman members are guilty of going into hyper review mode just to rack some points and not mean a dam word that was said. Do away with the point system and i garuantee A big change in the way people review tracks.

22. 216244

thats stupid for the racking up points thing. every review i do i try to include a suggestion and a couple points that i enjoyed during the song. its not a huge deal if something needed fixing that someone be to point it out. even if someone thinks whoevers reviewing is wrong. take it. look at it. process what they said. If you dont think it's your style or dont like it then just leave it at what they said.

23. 110150

sad but true.. it is what it is. a ying and yang everything bad must have something good.

24. 268829
    GhostPIG : Sat 20th Jun 2009 : 10 years ago

I think there's a difference between a legitimate bad review, and someone just being a jack-ass. Personally, I'd love constructive reviews on my tunes so I can actually improve them. Of course you want to hear that people dig your stuff, but maybe there's a loop that really grinds someone's eardrums that you just don't pick up with your own ears, maybe the mix is off, maybe it's just missing something. These things I like to know.

The bottom line is to be respectful, point out something they are doing right as well as areas that can be improved. Never stifle someone's creativity by being a douche.

/2 cents

Posts 1 - 24 of 24

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads