How Old Is Hip Hop?

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 110262
    MosReQuest : Mon 21st Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

can anyone tell me when hip hop officially was hip hop? i would say like 1985 is when modern hip hop started, not that electro hip hop stuff...get at me
    Mos' ReQuest
    myspace.com/mos39request

2. 439229
    mrE : Mon 21st Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

well.. i grew up in harlem and i saw the rise of hip hop firsthand. a man by the name of kool king herc was the most accredited with starting hip hop. he used to throw jams in the park because people were to broke to go to clubs(he was just basically spinning records).eventually an mc was added as a means of hyping up the crowd, eventually the mc became a rapper.the hip hop culture was very strongly tied to the punk rock scene early on . you could find both genres in clubs like the famous CBGB's in nyc(now closed). the very first mainstream song featuring hip hop was a song by blondie where she stars rapping at the beginning of the song( the songs name is Rapture)). deborah harry once said that the song originated as a means of gloryfing the hip hop acts she saw at CBGB's.this was like 1980.but i remember hearing stuff before then. fuck, im getting old.
    p.s. do you know what RAP stands for?rhytmic american poetry.peace dude, i hope this was helpful.

3. 68799
    bosonHavoc : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

you aint that old yet :)

my pops said it reminded him of bebop

4. 79105
    Centrist : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

It's hard to say when Modern Hip-hop started. I'd think there would be an old Hip Hop, considering you're looking for the Modern. Buuut Ah dunno.

5. 39029
    rei4real : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

well, that's a very interesting question, so I checked my archives to see which old-style HipHop records I own ....
    and I found a record of the Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's delight ... it was released in 1979!!!!!

so my question now is: Mos, what bands do you mean with "modern HipHop", and do you distinguish between HipHop and Rap?? (cause for me bands like Sugarhill Gang or Grandmaster Flash and so on are Rap ...)

6. 110262
    MosReQuest : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

well back then it was considered electro with words over the beat. it doesnt sound anything thing 2pac nas biggie or outkast. rakim, ice t and nwa is what our rap sorta sounds like, but thats considered old skool.hip hop is the grass roots, tribe called quest, living legends and backward in time, that is who hip hop is to me.

7. 67443
    SLAPJOHNSON : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

African Bambatta was one of the first original hip hop stars, or am I wrong, let me know. Cheers Slap...

8. 39029
    rei4real : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

ok, I took a look at wiki ....

it says, Kool Herc was the first to develop rap in the 70's,
    and the first who credits his music as HipHop was Africa Bambaata ...

if you want to read this interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_Hop

peace, rei

9. 110262
    MosReQuest : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 : 11 years ago

ya totally, i read it and then asked the question haha. i wanted to hear what real people had to say. thanks everyone

10. 118815
    one_by_one : Wed 6th Feb 2008 : 11 years ago

i rememba, in 93 i got one CD, that had one track of drum loop and some beeps, and rap.
    i guess that could be the beginning to me, if you take hip hop as story telling music, then hip hop was also with Janis Joplin

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads