Splitting Music Tracks

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 107836
    L_Marsh : Tue 18th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

Hi guys great site!

Does anyone know if there is a program where i can load a music track off a cd into which will breakdown the track into it's relevant parts (i.e bass, drums, vocals etc etc)?

Thanx in advance

2. 72432
    anchor : Wed 19th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

Well, Bro, I'm pretty sure no such programs exist as it would be extremely difficult to isolate sounds once they've gone through the old stereo mastering. Your best bet would be to isolate the known (or unknown) frequencies of the instrument. The frequencies will vary depending on the instrument and how it is mixed. Take a program like Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge or something of that nature and try using a parametric eq to isolate the frequencies you're looking for. Since you'll be removing frequencies it will surely dull the sound of the sample you're trying to get as the Doppler Effect shows us. This is an extremely tedious process and not for the faint of heart. In other words: it fucking sucks to do it this way.

A helpful alternative would be to look for people on looperman that play the instrument you're looking for and kindly ask them to record a loop of a similar nature for you. In return, you can give them credit on your review or something.

You could also post a link to the song in the forums and state which instruments you're looking for and someone might have something similar which you could use.

As a forth and final option, just look up the score/tablature for the song and try creating your own similar loops with a synthesizer. This is the best way as you retain all rights to the loops. I recommend mr. robot's plugin (it's freeware, just ask him. He's a nice guy), or PSYN if you have Cakewalk's Sonar. Both can achieve some 'natural' as well as 'unnatural' sounds.

I hope this helps you. Happy recording. :D

3. 107836
    L_Marsh : Wed 19th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

Cheers Bud, great help think i'll ask around instead of trying to do it myself! Seems to much of a hassle! LOL

4. 1
    Looperman : Wed 19th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

Once a track is mixed you cant split the tracks up again unless you have the original source files or mastertapes

5. 88163
    badandyeats : Wed 19th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

yeah their no program you have to chop the shit up your self with the mpc and find a clean sample out of it thats how you get you remix beats and shit like old school song turrn in to rap beats look up rza on the mpc on like google videos youll see what im talking bout

6. 71878
    Psychotropic_Circle : Fri 21st Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

there a some progs that are able to seperate the vocals out of a tune
    but cou can always hear the overlapping frequencies
    i´m glad that there´s no perfect prog existing because everyone
    could sample everything out of any track and sites like this would exist no more

7. 107836
    L_Marsh : Sun 30th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

thanks for the help!

whats the best way to remix a track then?

8. 88163
    badandyeats : Sun 30th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

you just take the sample and run it through reason or what not the build from their with your drums but do your best to mix up the sample cuz most rappers wont mess with it cuz of copyright

their other ways to remix a song like turn tables

9. 88163
    badandyeats : Sun 30th Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

haha i guess their no real way but just get creative with the sample use your talent and thoughts to make it some thing else but with trying to keep the structure

10. 99954
    dj_CaSpAr : Mon 31st Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

whats best for remixs is to just get the instrumentals and chop them up how u see fit...that way u dont have to mess with taking out the vocals....u can add an acappella later if u like...

11. 110262
    MosReQuest : Mon 31st Dec 2007 : 12 years ago

im going to make it possible to do so in the future. i just need 10,000,000 dollars to research and develope,....haha

12. 72432
    anchor : Tue 1st Jan 2008 : 12 years ago

Well over the decade or more that I've been making music, I've tried all sorts of shit for fun so this post assumes you have no knowledge of the shit I'm talking about (tho I'm sure most of you do). In order to isolate a specific frequency, an understanding of the Doppler effect is a must. For those who don't know: the Doppler Effect is a scientific principal stating that frequencies of the same or similar will increase the volume of that frequency (as a helicopter or motorcycle will sound louder as they get closer to the object that hears the frequencies, as they are stacked). This also includes the reverberated sounds. In theory and in my experience, you can get good results to remove an instrument from a loop by isolating it's dominant midrange frequency and cutting it (for noobs: that is to remove all audible traces of the frequency). "Audible range", in the human sense, generally refers to frequencies above 80 Hz. So, once you remove the dominant midrange, the frequencies between that which you removed and 80 hz will take out the punchiest sounding frequencies. That leaves the high frequencies, which will make or break your loop. "Presence" generally refers to frequencies above 15k, so you can assume that frequency e.q. will cut/multiply the presence in your loop. Raise or lower that frequency as necessary to achieve the best result you can get. Then save a copy of the loop under a different name. Take a test run and see if the frequencies in your track are enough to overlap the 'negative' frequencies of the loop you wish to isolate.If yes, you're done. If not, repeat the steps untill you achieve a good result. Hope this helps all who need it. Happy new Year! :D

13. 107836
    L_Marsh : Tue 1st Jan 2008 : 12 years ago

Thanks guys, you've all been a big help!

Now all I gotta do is getting go!

Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads