Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

Re : IS HIP HOP DEAD?

Posts 1 - 25 of 91
  1. 99378
    freshmaster : Sun 11th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

as yall know nas created a song called hip hop is dead, every one loved it, but it was tha talk of the town, i as a hip hop lover say that nas is wrong, hip hop still lives, but its not only my opinion, but yours to, SO WAT DO YOU THINK?

2. 82969
    EVRiM : Sun 11th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

I think hip-hop and what it stood for.... why it was started has died (or is dying) in America. But then again, good music in general is dying in America. Then again, America itself is dying. We're being killed by our own fortune and by those who have the most of it.... fortune that is. These are sad times in America. It's just most are still blind to it.

But throughout the rest of the world, true Hip Hop is now truly coming alive. So no, hip hop is not dead. However in America atleast, it's definitely sleeping.

xx
    EVRiM

3. 85845
    Unknown User : Sun 11th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

Really good question. Nas is one of the best hip-hop artists of all time, so its hard to go against what he said. However, I have to go ahead and disagree with him. I think what Nas was trying to say is that hip-hop is not at all what it once was. Hip-hop songs back in the day (late 80's-90's) used to be about story telling, having fun, and the struggles of life. Nowadays most of the hip-hop on the radio is about clubbing, drinking, smoking, sex, and other party-type of activities. However, the hip-hop on the radio is NOT the only hip-hop that exists! There are plenty of underground artists that represent the old school variety of hip-hop, they're just not getting any radio play. Some underground/non-mainstream artists I listen to are:

1. Swollen Members
    2. Fort Minor
    3. Lupe Fiasco
    4. Talib Kweli
    5. Sweatshop Union
    I could go on & on, but there are plenty of hip-hop artists out there that don't follow the basic standards of radio hip-hop. I believe that mainstream rap is okay to listen to, but all the time on the radio? We need to mix in some underground some of the time!

4. 82969
    EVRiM : Sun 11th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

It's true. I'm being cynical. There's great stuff happening on the street level and some are breaking thru. Lupe is great. And I even still like Pharell. I'm just so frustrated by what's happened to the mainstream.

5. 36498
    SYNTHO : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

HIP HOP will never die
    as long as the mainstream fabricates it!
    besides most of it is remixed or samples
    of old original material.thank God for the net!
    b/c the real originators are still out there
    keeping things real!

6. 99689
    DJBEAN : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

Kanye west was in it to but nas isnt really a hip hop artist so maybe he thinks his style is hip hop and no one else is really feelin his style

7. 47288
    Blasticore : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

I think what might help the discussion a little bit is the differention between hip-hop and rap. Where as hip-hop is, in a word, sometimes cliche to even itself, rap tends to deal with subject matter that's often more thought provoking, much resembling well-written poetry in a modern vernacular.

Hip hop is a large part of today's music scene. People are sold on its usual simplicity and familiar themes, but rap also has a devout following among the people who're looking for something to listen to a little more in-depth. That being said, the two genres aren't two totally separate entities, and bleed into each other as a lot of music will do nowadays (like rap-rock, Christian death metal, and so on).

While there's some hip-hop stuff I like, I never got into it like the masses seem to have. There's a good deal of rap I'd listen to for hours though, and I enjoy a surprising (to me) amount of stuff from "back in the day". As to Nas' song, I can't comment for sure, but it reminds me a little of the ska tune entitled "Ska Sucks", or even the "Ska is Dead" tour that happens every now and again. Ska's in a different situation than hip-hop (since ska's not really the most prevalent genre of music floating around at the moment), but culture's moving at a fast enough pace to where Nas can capitalize on the eventual decline of the music with what he's already done, whenever it decides to happen. =P

8. 47288
    Blasticore : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

And P.S,

Anyone can feel free to differ from my observations, as they were merely that.

9. 56667
    tharaw123 : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

i agree wit syntho if u listen rally close 2 at lot of the songs out there they where ither sampled or played by its origanal like biggie he sampled from ronald islye an the islye bros song "luv between the sheets "----> biggie "they call me big poppa".(ice cube "today was a good day"---->ronald islye an the islye bros instramental sample "footsteps in the dark") (snoopdog "snoop doggy dog"---->gorge funk a.k.a P funk "dog catcher") an 4 nas song "hiphop is dead"----------> iorn butterfly "indagodadiveda"(a.k.a what the song is suposse 2 b said "in the garden of edan" but the lead singer was drunk when he sang the song in 2 1 slur an still now thats how the song was played an the longest song in the world that took both sides of 1 tape an the song was featuerd in shows an movies (show: the simpsons 4got what episode # its the 1 where bart switches the morning church song wit iorn butterfly) (movies: a nightmare on elmstreet freeddys dead scene: when the 3 kids enter the house 1 of the kids gose in 2 the front room 2 smoke weed when he falls alseep the t.v. cuts on an freddy tells about how drugs an then hes says "hey spencer lets trip out " then iron butterfly starts 2 play an hes suckin the t.v. an it turns off) now back 2 hiphop just giveng some advice on IB cause i luv that song an 4 those that dont know about the song ok hip hop is still here an live on like the gods of rock , the souls of rythem an blues, ect. hiphop is all around the world the world is hip hop ^_^

10. 82969
    EVRiM : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

Yeah but what about the real hip-hop?

11. 93833
    Unknown User : Mon 12th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

Hip Hop is dead to the cats that believe it only consist of commercial s!#t!!Some folks have no idea where Hip Hop came from.They forgot about the 4 elements..Too many people are abusing the game and are too concerned with making money off of it..
    On the other hand there are people that do it for the passion and love of it!!Most of these cats are undaground and know the culture's history..
    Peace to all the real Hip Hop headz out there!!ONE

12. 99378
    freshmaster : Tue 13th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

yep i gotta agree with aziatik the hip hop is only dead to those who believe that it is dead, but to those who love hip hop and do hip hop for the fun of it obviosly hip hop still lives to them, as to those who do hip hop 4 da money, i cant really call them hip hop heads, or i cant even say that thier music is hip hop(its not). as 4 nas, my brother i used to listen to your songs, but since i heard tha song "hip hop is dead" i figured, nah, hip hop aint dead. you are!

13. 99378
    freshmaster : Tue 13th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

lets focus on da truth, hip hop is a culture and they say that cultures never die.

14. 93833
    Unknown User : Tue 13th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

Yeah Freshmaster!!Real talk!!Truth, one.

15. 82073
    MrRobot : Tue 13th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

hello People
    i have 10 new HipHop grooves uploaded

for inspiration :)

16. 79389
    Unknown User : Tue 13th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

the commercial mainstream hip hop should die if it isn't dead already. nothing but hollow window dressing. but seriously, music can never die...any form of it.

17. 99378
    freshmaster : Wed 14th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

i have to agree with dexter, y i agree: music can never die, especially hip hop cuz hip hop has spread around tha globe and there are many hip hop artists around tha globe, basicly wat im tryna say is that a hip hop lover dies, another one is born.

18. 84858
    RoccoTalula : Wed 14th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

I think It will never die, it will transform a little but that's it.
    There is still a strong underground scene everywere, and with computer sofwares so affordable making music this days is easy.
    How many changes have we had since Africa Bambata, KRS One and the pioneers of hip hop. Think about it for a minute, it is a strong culture, period, that money changed it of course that's another story. But it's a culture that we care about if not it would not be in this FORUM! Don't let it die!

In moments like this I really miss Big Pun, Biggie, Pac and Big L.

By the the way I'm from Puerto Rico so excuse my spelling!

19. 55357
    ultrabase : Wed 14th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

music never dies

20. 99378
    freshmaster : Thu 15th Nov 2007 : 13 years ago

yeah yeah thats da truth yall, so basicly nas didnt know wat he was doin, or he was just so fu#ken bored!

21. 18442
    Stracman : Thu 6th Dec 2007 : 13 years ago

Soulja Boy set rap music back at least 5 years. Whats with this 'crunk' crap, anyway? I remember back in the mid-ninties rap was awesome. Now its just a gimmick.

22. 103043
    bless : Fri 14th Dec 2007 : 13 years ago

not quite yet but its on its way ...everything sounds the same Now

23. 108818
    AnonImouS : Sun 23rd Dec 2007 : 13 years ago

I gotta disagree with hip-hop being dead. There's many artists (me being one of them) who actually talk about revelant things more than money, cars, killing, etc. They simply aren't being supported enough.

24. 119161
    LMNO : Tue 5th Feb 2008 : 13 years ago

my thoughts....

Raido HipHop is Dead....

UNDERGROUND HIP HOP hasnt even matured yet.

I ONLY LISTEN to hiphop NOT on the Radio...
    I listen to TON of talented MCs and underground
    artist that are bringing the life of hiphop back...

I think it should be called "Conscious Hip Hop"..

Rapping about their lives, whats going on in world.
    What they do during the day, past situations... thats
    hip hop...

Not, how many guns i got, how many chicks i bang,
    how much money i got, all the bling bling garbage
    is redundant. Its really getting old and i am
    against that... thats commercial rap.

But to your question. HipHop isnt dead, it just took a break

25. 83799
    Fresco : Tue 5th Feb 2008 : 13 years ago

I disagree that hip hop is dead but if it was it would hav been the people themselves who killed it not da artists because the ONLY reason the radio plays wat it plays is because people paid for it. u cant really blame it on rappers like soulja boy and others cuz its people who bought the cd its people who requested it on the radio and thats the reason they make more songs like the ones they do. and if you're really specific hip hop music has many variations rap is rap hip hop is hip hop and crunk is crunk. and just so yall kno i do think sum non mainstream artists like lupe fiasco and talib kweli are better than those who are. like I said i dont think hip hop is dead i think its ignorant to say it is because if it is what are YOU doing to change it?

Posts 1 - 25 of 91

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums