Production Trickbook

Posts 201 - 221 of 221
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 27th Feb 2015 : 3 years ago I find that mixing your music alongside a few mainstream songs that have the sound you're looking for helps a TON. Mix your music for 30 minutes or so, then stop and listen to your mainstream songs. What sounds different between my mix and theirs? What am I missing?

Truly, sitting down and analyzing how mainstream songs are mixed and trying to emulate that in your own recordings can be very beneficial to any beginner producer.
  2. 1660457
    EmpireEntertainment : Mon 29th Feb 2016 : 2 years ago Mozart
  3. 412387
    Observe : Sat 5th Mar 2016 : 2 years ago HARDWARE
    TRICK
    -----------------

This might be a silly production trick but if you are someone that is tired of using a mouse/keyboard combo and you are gamer inclined. I bought a Steam Controller and nearly everything I can do with my M/K I can do with the controller. Well worth it in my opinion if you enjoy controllers.
  4. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Tue 5th Apr 2016 : 2 years ago ****Using Effect Plugins Effectively On Vocals****

As with basic stereo techniques that have been explained in previous posts I find double layering every sound used really brings the track overall to a more full and ear listening niceness, however how much effect/reverb/gate should be used on vocals.

This depends on the song feel and also the vocals themselves.

Adding effects on top of existing vocals that are wet (effects already in the vocals mix) can actually make the vocals seem over processed and even wash the mix levels of the vocals out.As a rule of thumb make your whole song including vocals Dry (No effects) first, then add the effects in during the mixdown period.

Here's what I did on my current track "My Heart Weeps Sadness" on here to create real depth and presence in the vocals without going too far;

2 x Channels assigned for each vocal stem/loop/note used

No change in and panning at all!

Added 2 x Effect plugins for each vocal with having both channels grouped to only one channel lets say 1&2 assigned too channel 1.

Plugins;

Valhalla Shimmer Demo Version(creates amazing mono or stereo dark/bright spacious and lengthy delays with harmonies for sustained effects if required).

Valhalla Reverb Demo Version (creates the room size that's ideal for the vocals if you want them to sound near or far but with some real cool extra features added into the plugin)

Both effects coat $50 each and I will purchase those soon but the demo's work very well.

Once I have found the sweet spot between using both plugins and assigned them to channel 1 then I playback with the song to find the right mix (Volume) amount to be applied without being too forward in the mix but more spacious around the main mix of levels.

I gotta rush to a gig and will return later tonight to this section as I could go on lots of different ways you can used vocals effectively without the vocals taking away the song you are creating....

To understand what all of the above means, I do in the mean time suggest you listen to my new song on here called;
    "My Heart Weeps Sadness" by DJSLTUK (DJ-SLT-UK) as this will help those who are notsure what I meant about using effects/plugins effectively and not badly.

Back Soon,

DJ-SLT-UK
  5. 1293607
    Venuslove : Sun 1st May 2016 : 2 years ago If I told u my secret, I'd have to finish you. Just kidding. Lotsa tweaking to get the sound just right until they sound good with the other instruments kinda like cooking a dish. Playing with knobs is fun, use all your knobs and buttons!
  6. 918651
    Anno861 : Sun 1st May 2016 : 2 years ago Couple of things:

• Don't underestimate White Noise. Even with something as simple as a bandpass, reverb and panning, you can create some pretty awesome sweeps.

• If you're struggling for sounds from your synths, mess around! Tweak presets, add random effects, put random values in - sometimes you'll end up with something cool you can fine tune later. To quote Venuslove: "Use all your knobs and buttons!". Its also great for learning how your synth works, especially if, like me, you do everything by ear.

• For all you Logic users, the blue "Compare" button is handy if you want to revert any recent changes to a plugin, although it won't work with some third party plugins, such as Native Instruments' FM8.
  7. 1851086
    BlueSpaceStudio : Mon 2nd May 2016 : 2 years ago Also it's good if you have good looking artwork when you release your song. You look more professional and people are more interested in listening to this track...
    Not sound trick but it's useful

If you need some, contact me :)
  8. 1805083
    Davidgotskill : Fri 6th May 2016 : 2 years ago My Production tricks. (Please note im only a beginner and im not a pro). I have heard that a sidechain compressor works well with EDM Music. Ableton's compressor has a sidechain switch (the downfoldable arrow to the top left) that can do some AWESOME stuff. Again im only a noob so...
  9. 1805083
    Davidgotskill : Wed 18th May 2016 : 2 years ago Use transpose to further transform melody leads. This is from experience.
  10. 1805083
    Davidgotskill : Wed 1st Jun 2016 : 2 years ago From my short experience, experiment with LFOs to make some bass edits to your kicks and turn up the attack for sidechaining. Ableton has a variety of options on that I think. Just something i learned very recently. IT WORKS! Soover is a great instrument for EDM from Ableton. Thats all i have.
  11. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Tue 7th Jun 2016 : 2 years ago The freeware VST plugin, Ill-Formed GLITCH, is a quick and easy way to get a "stutter" effect on one of your tracks. It can often save you from having to set up a compression sidechain.
  12. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sun 19th Jun 2016 : 2 years ago Here's a great old record producer's trick, for ballads: On one track of your DAW, have your singer sing the song as they always do. On another track, have your singer do the same musical line IN A WHISPER, synced with the first vocal track. It's a great way to get some tasty transients you can play with... You can reverb the whisper track, or give it a tapped delay. Very nice effect.
  13. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sun 19th Jun 2016 : 2 years ago Here's an important trick: After you've got your music mix done, listen to the whole thing ON LOW VOLUME. Listen to it about as low in volume as you can get, before inner parts start getting lost. If your mix sounds incorrect on low volume, try EQ'ing it until it sounds good. It will often then sound better when heard at a normal or loud volume. Don't "fall in love" with loud volume all the time, even on rock and rap and "loud" musical genres... Make sure it also sounds good when played at a low volume.
  14. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sun 7th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago There are two plugins that have vastly improved my sound:

Melda MULTIANALYZER and Melda AUTOALIGN. The first lets you see where two tracks are "stepping on each other" frequency-wise. Attenuate the problem frequencies it shows you, in ONE of those two tracks, and wow! Muddiness is eliminated, and each track "sings".

AUTOALIGN makes sure all your tracks are in phase with each other. If they aren't, you're going to get some unpleasant "combing" artifacts which sound nasty and amateurish. AUTOALIGN zaps your tracks into alignment with each other. It's subtle, but it's there.

Just these two pluggies alone have tremendously improved the sound of my mixes.

In fact, to me, the Melda line of pluggies is the absolute SHIZZ. You literally don't need any other pluggies in your arsenal, they're that good. Their GUI is the best I've ever seen, even better than the esteemed WAVES line. Each pluggie offers you the ability to modulate its FX with an LFO or an Envelope Follower, which is majorly cool, and each pluggie gives you the ability to upsample the wave after treatment. Naturally all parameters are recordable as VST envelopes.

Waa-a-a-y-y-y kewl.
  15. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sun 7th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago One trick I like to do with female choir tracks: Duplicate the track, then transpose that track up an octave. I like to use QuikQuak PITCHWHEEL for this, because it also lets you tweak the Formant, to minimize the "chipmunk" tendency here. Then I blend in this second track on VERY low volume-- what I call "ghosting" it, where it's hardly heard--- with the original track. As we know, any note carries with it as its strongest overtone the FIRST octave above it. Ghosting in an octave track reinforces that first overtone. This trick adds an "angelic" nuance to the original choir track. With some reverb added, the "artificiality" of that second track will be camouflaged. It's a nice effect.
  16. 1527121
    FroggyDJ : Fri 19th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago if you want to make a sub bass in FL Studio, open fl studio put all coarses to 0. and then eq it to make it sound more bassey.
  17. 1527121
    FroggyDJ : Fri 19th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago i mean open 3xosc
  18. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Tue 23rd Aug 2016 : 2 years ago Another trick: Got a MIDI track of drums playing, and you're not quite sure if the groove and feel is there? [Assuming, of course that you know how to move the individual drum voices left or right in time, for a driving "anticipated" feel, or a laid-back, "behind the beat" feel?]

Crank the tempo up faster, about 20-30 BPM faster than your intended tempo... and you'll feel what's wrong (or right) about it. especially if you get up and dance around the room to it... ie., feel it in your body, not just your mind. For some reason, the faster tempo allows you to hear if your rhythmic groove is working, not sure why this works.

Back at the original, intended tempo, you'll then be able to spot which drum-voices need tweaking, either in Time or in Volume (Amplitude), or which need goosing in EQ.
  19. 1821349
    Wobbin : Thu 25th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago I tip i'd like to share which is very obvious but does make A LOT of difference:

Listen to your parts of the track you're working on while NOT looking into screen you're producing it in. Additional, start the track from begin on and not just to part itself, to see if the changes actually mix well in the complete track. Or start if from a weird angle and not from a perfect start like a Chorus/drop/ exactly 4th bar etc.

Also when finished and exported, listen to the whole track with (if possible) mainstream MP3 in-ears, mainstream radio/soundsystem and the advanged setup you use when producing like studioheadphones/studio sound set.

Hell, why would one do that? Because when you're busy with the track/that particular part, you often memorize the next change/effect/instrument, whatever is coming next. For example. I watch my FL screen and see the inserted sweep coming and know most likely how it sounds. Making you blind or less open minded to be critical enough if its good or not.

What also might work additional, but most (incl. me lol) dont do that. Is after finishing, letting it go for a week. Then do a final listen as stated above, see if you find anything you did not intent-ended that way. And thén release it out.

Memory, the happy/euphoric factors when busy with the track can make you slightly blind to minor imperfections. Its all about a psychological effect. I hope i made myself clear enough about what i meant..

Listening tips has been given a lot, like the good ones from @rasputin1963. But this simple thing seems not mentioned yet if i am not mistaken.
  20. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 25th Aug 2016 : 2 years ago Show your almost-finished works to your friends or family. If you feel awkward about a certain part or uncomfortable, then you probably need to go back and fix whatever it is that makes you uncomfortable. I find that things I thought were okay made me very uncomfortable showing to my loved ones. Once I addressed the issue the awkwardness left.

Brado
  21. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Mon 23rd Jan 2017 : 1 year ago Here's a couple of plugins for those dance/house music artists.

----------

Gating Plugin

Trance Gate 2

Ideal for anyone who's trying to create the volume on/off/on/off effect on any instrument.

You will need to google it as I cant find which FREE plugin site I got it from?

------------------

Vocal Effects & Harmonies

I often get asked how and what do I use to create the vocal surrounds in my songs;

Again Google Valhalla DSP Plugins

Find the plugin called "Valhalla Shimmer"

It can really bring any vocal to life and then some...for instance if I wanted a vocal to hold in reverb and comeback in harmony then I can do that for as long as required, or maybe just want the vocals to sound really crisp and clean in the ears with only a touch of shimmer to take away the dryness of the original vocal so Shimmer will add a reverb and delay that can be tweaked to sound amazing...even works well with Lo Fi vocal grabs.

This plugin will cost $50, however you can download the free version which will only give you about 20-40 seconds of shimmer and randomly cutoff which ruins the effects.

I just took their survey which they ask you to do after purchase and then they gave me the new Space Modulator plugin for free...wow some interesting warped stuff coming soon.

---------------

Those would be the 2 x plugins I would highly suggest for any dance music artist or any artist that really wants to do some amazing sound painting even with instruments as a guitar thru the shimmer effect is really good.

Regards,

DJ-SLT-UK
Posts 201 - 221 of 221

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Electronic Track