Magix,acid,cakewalk??

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 76824
    suddenlysix66 : Mon 6th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

I am trying to record from my roland groovebox to my pc. I don't know what I should use or where to get it. I hear a lot of you gus talking about magix. Ebay looked like a good place...Music shops and Guitar Center looked like too much $$$$$!!!

So where shoild I start?

I am going to go two 1/4 inch plugs down to a mini plug for my pc. I want to be able to record and even tweak the stuff I wrote with my sampler with a good studio program...

Please point me in the right direction...

Thanks

2. 583767
    eshar : Mon 6th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

Hi,
    my best advice would be to "shop" around. Try out a few free demos and find the one that works best with the equipment that you've got. I use Magix because it is simple, but that doesn't mean that it will be right for what you want. Didn't the groovebox come with any recommendations? Hopefully some other people will join this forum and be able to give you advice....

If you're a member of acidplanet you can download acid express 5.0 free. Some demos will be limited to what you can do with them, but the idea is to see whether you can work with them or not, so check a few out.
    Good luck
    eshar

3. 72432
    anchor : Tue 7th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

People hate me because I talk about Cakewalk Sonar like it's Jesus but it works for loop recording and live instruments (as do all the programs you mentioned). I think it's the best. It does have a learning curve though. If you're looking for simplicity go with acid or magix. They are both good programs. As for where to purchase the programs, go to www.musiciansfriend.com. They have the cheapest instruments and recording software I've ever seen. Hope this helps.

4. 76824
    suddenlysix66 : Tue 7th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

I see magix music maker 10 & 12 on ebay. Prices did not seem too bad. Still wich is better? Really for now I am just trying to bring parts or songs if you will from my sampler to my pc. However to be able to to do more with a music program would be great.

Customer support for Roland said you can use any music software you want. They did not say what might work better. Still I think for me as a beginer simple might be good to start with.

I want to thank all of you for your input so far! Looperman has been good to me as far as networking with people like all of you who share the same interests.

5. 583767
    eshar : Tue 7th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

Hi suddenlysix66,
    if you can get Magix Music Maker 12, then get that because obviously it's the newest and hopefully will have a few new features that I don't have with my 11 deluxe version.
    But before you rush out and buy it, go to the Magix website and download a free demo....they will probably only have the 11 deluxe version, but it will give you an idea what it can do....the demo is limited, but despite that it should show you how easy Magix is to use.

You should also try and download some other demos...I think fruityloops do one...not sure.
    Just run a google search for music making software demos...
    Oh yeah...don't forget Audacity...it's free.

6. 78269
    brandonoutbreak : Tue 7th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

actually, download the magix demo. i own it and it's practically everything i need... very wonderful program. and from what i hear, people were disappointed with the 'full' version of magix and assumed to people to just stick with the demo.
    and there is no trial limit either.
    download it.

7. 36498
    SYNTHO : Wed 8th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

HEY WAS UP?
    FIRST OF ALL ARE WORKING WITH A BUDGET?
    IF YOU ARE THEN THAT SHOULD NARROW A COUPLE OF THINGS DOWN
    SECOND...ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FRIENDLY OR BASIC TO USE?
    LAST I USED TO WORK AT GUITAR CENTER SO I CAN HELP YOU OUT.

8. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Wed 8th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

I'd haveta agree with the guy that suggested shopping around. Demo is the way to go when trying to figure out what works for you the best. Heck, most are offered free to download on most of the host sites. When it comes to just the three mentioned in the header I've tried Acid and wasn't really impressed. Magix & Cakewalk have proved alot better. Thought I would like to point out some drawbacks with Magix. On the first version (2005 deluxe) they didn't offer a full download feature meaning that in order to use the program fully you'd have to still use the disks. I just got Music Maker 12 Deluxe and this time that isn't an issue, but the problem this time is that by default it doesn't match the loops up one right after the other (zooming in there's always a gap that you have to manually go and fix) and this also holds true for trying to establish a new start point (also this time doing the same for an end point is no longer done by right clicking the mouse as was the case on 2005, so that editing or removing specific loops is a tad trickier).

9. 4546
    DKIMDATDUDE : Thu 9th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

YO I USE BOTH ACID AND MAGIX AND I CAN TELL U THAT THEY BOTH ARE COMPATIBLE. IF UR RECORDING I WOULD ANVISE TO USE THE MAGIX PROGRAM. IT COULD BE ANYWHERE FROM 40-60 BUCKS. ACID IS GOING TO COST U SUM CASH NO MATTER WHERE U LOOK.

10. 79439
    gejepsen : Fri 10th Aug 2007 : 12 years ago

I use Cakewalk's Sonar. It's always worked for me, but might I recommend the Tascam in stead of running you instrument into your computer's microphone socket. I personally use the Tascam US-122, there are better, but it's low-end high quality. Between the Tascam and Cake, I can lay as many tracks as I want. It is only limited by your computers ability to high-end multi-task and the limits of your recording software. ~Geo

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads