Questions Regarding Featured Tracks

Posts 1 - 18 of 18
  1. 5221544
    AtticElla : Mon 6th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

Many think I'm new here but I've been lurking and observing since around 2004sh if I remember the year correctly. I am just a very shy person and have trouble 'mingling'. I deleted my old account for unrelated reasons. I started a new one, but things don't seem to have changed much.

I would like to know why there are so many people in LM yet so few people (20 or so) participate in the 'Featured' track option. What about the thousands that are members, or am I not well informed on the number of members? Do they only upload loops? What about the rest, do they only download stuff?

And those that do participate in the 'featured' track feature, what criteria do you use to even take a listen, let alone judge other people's songs? This is a mystery to me. The process seems erratic at best. Many claim genre doesn't matter but is it really that? Is it personality? Is it your opinion of whether someone 'belongs' here in what you think is your turf? Is it how good or bad someone is? Is it if you know how to play and instrument or music theory or not? What exactly are your 'rules'? Do you think any of this has an effect on how many people bother to participate or not? What kind of music community do you think this is?

I'm not making any assumptions. These are legit questions. I am really curious to see what the community has to say about this, if there is anything to say, because I am baffled.

2. 730222
    beatsandloops : Tue 7th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

Until a month or so i didnt even noticed there was a section for tracks here. I just went straight to the loops and voices.

3. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Tue 7th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

@AtticElla, I'll take a stab at this for you. Each Looperman member can set one of their tracks as "featured." Most people use their latest track as the featured track. It will show up on the list of 25 if they participate in reviewing other tracks. So, let's say you have just completed a track and would like folks to hear it. You would check the "featured" box when you upload it to your profile. Then you go and find a track of someone else to review, listen and leave a review, and then your track will now show up in the list of 25. This list literally changes by the minute, as whenever someone reviews a track, their featured track would end up in the first position in the list of 25, and whomever was last, would drop off the list until they review another track. I can't speak for Shan, but I believe he set it up this way to try and keep things fair for people who are active on the site. It would do no good to put 100 or 1000 featured tracks since by the time you listened to the first 25, the list would have changed dramatically. If you see the a lot of the same tracks on the list, it simply means those people are more active. It may be that folks in the hip hop community review more tracks than others. One thing I do know, the selection to the list of 25 is not random, it is earned. There may be more nuances than this, but in a nutshell, this is the way it works. Hope that helps.

4. 5221544
    AtticElla : Tue 7th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

@ShortBusMusic

I think you have completely misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking how the feature tracks works. I have been participating for a while and know the mechanics of it very well, it is very simple.

I honestly don't know how to clarify it for you other than read the post again if you are so inclined, because it almost appears as if you only read the title.

Thanks for replying anyways.

5. 500098

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I did re-read your post a few times, and I have to say I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone much wiser than I can give you an adequate explanation. Good luck.

6. 5221544

Maybe I just wasn't clear enough and too wordy. I will condense my question.

Basically, Why don't more people participate in the feature songs? What keeps them from doing it? The rest is a bunch of theories that got in my head about the reasons why.

7. 4921914
    TomGee74 : Tue 7th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

I think some people are too shy or self conscious or maybe they are already on discord servers and share their tracks with people they are in group with? It could also be that they feel their work is commercially viable but not quite ready and fear someone tweaking their idea without crediting the source that inspired them. take the millionaire dude as example, imo his weird contentious style of 3 cups and pea seems a wee bit iffy contractually as well as morally bankrupt. So if he is tip of iceberg then maybe just maybe sharing openly might give someone else a free lunch at your expense and hard work. Which might well put people off.

ive also noticed that some people are rude (suspect narcisism is rife in music world) when they dont like a track and feedback is limited even from the people uploading their acapellas, they want to get replies but give none in return in the main.

Some people also think if your shared work isnt to their taste or of less than professional standard that you are trying to offend people or take the piss.

its also seems to be way of the world these days in social media generally imo

everybody on it but not really communicating other than to be keyboard warrior of rudeness as if its impressive.

there might also be the scam angle and spam marketing dross

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth

i was ready t jack site after the millionaires antics

taking peoples stuff shared then selling licenses under some dubious right that you didnt specify he couldnt sell your stuff

if millionaires are farming shared stuff then just wow

makes you wonder if any of his acapellas are actually legit since the artists never give feedback good or bad

but ask you to share what you did - one way comms aint fun or help build a community imo

my guess is most people are like me, pretty rotten at making music but trying to learn. and because their stuff aint top notch yet they ffear the fear of the social media mafia

also most people want you to listen to their stuff but dont really listen to others and because nobody gives feedback you think the person doesnt like it, so why bother sharing stuff with them if they aint interested to share ideas or thoughts back.

its a shame

because clearly thousands of people use the loops and acapellas

8. 500098

@AtticElla

Thanks for clearing things up. First let me say that your theories are probably as correct as mine, actually moreso. I have been with Looperman since 2008 (used a different name in those days). Through probably 2014 or so, this site was phenomenal. There were incredible discussions in the forums of all things musical - from mixing and mastering to writing and composition - anything you can think of we talked about it. People also took a real interest in other people's music. It was not uncommon to have 40 or more reviews, with many offering suggestions on how to improve our music. We all reciprocated and made sure to give a review when we got a review, sometimes it was get a review and give several in return.

As time has gone by, I've noticed that a lot of people open accounts to simply download loops. Others open accounts and use them to spam the forum with collaboration requests, or post links to YouTube, Instagram, Spotify, and Soundcloud so we will leave Looperman to go and listen to their songs. I see a whole lot of taking, but not a lot of giving back. I've seen famous artists mine Looperman for free loops - Martin (Minor2Go) is responsible for literally hundreds of millions of hit records, and he didn't get a dime for his work, nor partial credit for the hit records. It's unfortunately a sign of the times, everybody wants to be a star, and they refuse to do any of the work themselves.

While there are few folks who offer mixing and mastering help, when you go to their profile there is nothing there. No examples of their work, nothing but a link to Instagram or Facebook or some other "club".

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know my participation is this site has been reduced by probably 95% of what I used to invest in it. It's sad, but I think it is just the way the world is now. So, that's my theory on the lack of participation, but who knows. It's purely supposition on my part.

9. 5221544

@ShortBusMusic and @TomGee74 Thanks for replies.

It is a real shame that I missed the good days. Back then I wasn't very good and was too shy to upload my music so I didn't. Now that I'm a little better and want to exchange ideas, it's too late.

I make so many comments and give so many favs and very little comes back. I'm spending way too much time listening to other people's songs. It's disheartening.

Another thing that everyone wants their music to be enjoyed by others but they can't relate to the type of music you create. There's not enough people with a variety of tastes or willing to appreciate a piece of music for what it is. I sense a lot of 'do things my way or you don't get appreciated' tendencies.

I'll stop myself here before I ruffle too many feathers. Again thanks for the replies.

10. 730222
    beatsandloops : Wed 8th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

I did comment on some of your work. Did i get something in return? a thank you? no.
    And if i don't like 1 of your tracks and say it, what will you think? that i'm ignorant? mean,
    or maybe jealous. Giving is not about receiving something in return, it's about giving.

I did a lot of posting tracks in my Versionist.com days, posting tracks and waiting for feedback.
    You take comfort in the positive reviews and hate the one user who dares saying it like it is.
    Nobody likes a negative review but in my opinion thats exactly what most of us need to get better.

But in our times of when even a simple No is considered offensive, no one want to put out their
    work and being challenged, i don't.

I will when im ready to put an album out. Then it will be: take it or
    leave it. I will even send you a physical copy if thats what you need.
    I will post my next track when it's finished over done. And it will be a free download because
    i may be such a genius but it's all have been done before.

Music is a dead art. What we hear now in music is a copy of a
    copy of another copy that is a copy.
    Most of it is well done, it sounds great, that singer is so good but it's
    boring, heard it a thousand time before.

That said i still make music everyday, i love every
    aspect of creating something "musical", thank god for freeware vst.

If you want i can participate in the community and
    review music but, and you're all warned, i'll be honest with
    what i think of your track, even if i'm wrong.

11. 5221544
    AtticElla : Wed 8th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

@beatsandloops I'm sorry, I must be blind because I looked at all my track comments and I did not see any from you. Did I miss something? I honestly apologize and if I did missed a comment from you, I thank you now.

I am also confused about the criticism part. Is that a general statement or are you saying I don't take criticism well? So if I think a suggestion will change my song from sounding like techno to sounding like pop or country I should be happy to do it? And I am not allowed to express my opinion on the criticism in turn? So anyone is free to criticize but I'm not allowed to. I'm also not allowed to criticize the criticism. That doesn't make any sense. Aren't we all adults here? Am I reading too much into what you said? Am I completely misunderstanding you?

Also, what is wrong with expecting something in return. Anyone that says they come here to give reviews and not expect any in return is lying. Isn't this a musician's community of exchange?

12. 4921914
    TomGee74 : Wed 8th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

criticism if it is technical, then thats often positive. Some may not enjoy the positive criticism but if its in useful information to help develop then it is probably why most people share their stuff.

However, just expressing your dislike of style or worse just being nasty coz its not to a particular taste then really thats just being rude.

If someone posted something then i imagine they like feedback on the production errors or tips on fixing certain glaring technical issues or even just a comment of encouragement if you enjoyed the peice or loop.

Crushing aggressive ad hominem attacks should get you booted from site imo.

if you feel someone is denying your rights then thats a whole new ball game.

Genuine nice comments would be nice gesture and polite. feedback can also be positive. taking someone upload without thanks seems rude to me. And if you enjoyed using the upload or just listening to the upload can be encouraging.

if you are technically proficient and feel need to just destroy someone then really why? If you hate an upload just move onto something you like. No need to ad hominem

13. 730222

@AtticElla it's a general statement it's not toward you i like the music i heard from you.

14. 730222

I wouldn't dare say anything less than positive to anyone's music here. I just exposed my views about music in the 21st century in general and i feel i offended two persons already, thank you internet.

15. 5221544

@beatsandloops You came in a bit hot there, and I took it personally. Maybe I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. But I am not offended. I agree with a lot of things you said.

One of the things that you are completely correct about is that it's so easy to get things twisted in a big huge knot on the internet which is what started this post to begin with. You can't criticize and you can't respond to criticism with your own opinion. It all gets twisted somehow.

A while ago I told a guy here that his vocals where out of tune. I got crucified. It is not like I find a lot of faults on people's music. I tend to see a lot of things as intentional by the author and their style. But being out of tune is and evident error. Yet I wasn't very popular because of what I said. So I know a little how you feel.

Now I don't even know what I've done or if it's just the way things go for everyone and it has nothing to do with me personally. One thing is for sure, I'm spending way too much energy on this issue and it's probably time to put it to rest.

16. 5221544

@TomGee74 That's exactly what I'm talking about. Criticism about technical errors versus style choices. Very thin line apparently.

17. 4125067
    bringerofDOOM : Wed 8th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

@AtticElla

As long as your intentions are true, say whatever you want. Other peoples neurosis are not you responsibility to manage. If that statement is taken "out of context," see previous statement.

:D

18. 4125067
    bringerofDOOM : Wed 8th Dec 2021 : 1 month ago

correction "Other peoples' neurosis are not your responsibility to manage."

... for example

:D

Posts 1 - 18 of 18

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums