Claim Your FREE Waves LOFI SPACE Plugin - Black Friday 2021

What Is Art

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 4125067
    bringerofDOOM : Thu 18th Nov 2021 : 1 week ago

Is pop art? Is drill art? Is extreme metal art? What is the difference between art and entertainment? Is one just a subset of the other?

My old English teacher once told me that the difference between a turd and art is whether or not there is a frame around it.

Does it even matter?

What do you think?

2. 5221544
    AtticElla : Thu 18th Nov 2021 : 1 week ago

To me, art is an expression of a person's inner world, feelings, and perceptions. Even a turd is an expression of something, a statement if you will. So I find beauty in 99% of the stuff I see or listen to because I try to feel the way that person does when they observe their creation. It is empathy.

Art is not a predefined concept, stamped and sealed by any one person or group of persons. It is not a privilege, it's a right. We all have the right to express ourselves however we please, as long as we do not infringe on other's rights or cause harm. It is like a disabled person, missing their legs for example. Does it mean that person has no right to put on prosthetics and run like the wind? They have every right to do that.

Also to me, art and entertainment go hand in hand. Art is the subject, entertainment is the verb. One is the creation part the other one is the expression, the sharing. So one cannot exist without the other.

That's my 2 cents ;)

3. 4125067
    bringerofDOOM : Sat 20th Nov 2021 : 1 week ago

That's a good response. The "infringe on others' rights or cause harm" part can be quite messy. When I was a kid, almost all the music I listened to was extreme, violent, offensive, and my parents would've freaked out if they knew.

If I didn't have that regular catharsis, where would all of that angst have gone?

Sometimes edgy music inspires violence and evil, sometimes it relieves it. It's hard to say.

Art can be ugly, and downright disturbing, and these characteristics are often compelling for me, especially if they are intertwined with "beauty" in provocative ways.

When entertainment has these characteristics, they are often corny and over sensationalized (like way too much gore in a horror movie, instead of good writing that actually terrifies conceptually, which is just lazy).

That pesky subjectivism...

4. 5221544
    AtticElla : Sun 21st Nov 2021 : 1 week ago

Yes, subjectivity is the key word, I agree. And this opens a can of worms because just as a person has a right to express themselves, others have the right to reject that expression in turn. There has to be a limit to what one is willing to accept, I guess. Where do you draw the line?

But there is a big difference between relieving some stress by playing a violent game or listening to violent music and actually giving in to dark tendencies. Accepting we are not angels doesn't mean turning into Jack the Ripper, right? I see nothing wrong with observing darkness as long as one has the character and emotional maturity to manage it properly.

I had a friend that was and illustrator. She would paint the most horribly gory and disgusting visions she could come up with, but she was the sweetest person I'd ever met. Go figure.

I wish these things were black and white, rather than gray. Would be a lot easier that way.

5. 2864463
    LizzyChoppe : Tue 23rd Nov 2021 : 5 days ago

Entertainment is art, art is not necessarily entertainment. A comic is art created to entertain, whereas vent art is just expression. Art is anything that anyone makes with a non-tangible/emotional purpose, IMO

6. 851137
    crucethus : Wed 24th Nov 2021 : 5 days ago

As Irrational beings, we cling to the rational sounds that connect with us. That is our personal taste in art. And it certainly varies from person to person. What interests myself is pushing envelopes of sound choices. If you follow serious music (some call it classical) you can really hear art. this art is given a beat 20 or so years on and becomes folk music (pop and other various genres) that we love. Art is subjective, but it´s everywhere. Just let it breathe.

7. 1564425
    Rasputin : Wed 24th Nov 2021 : 4 days ago

Check out (Google Images) the artwork called

merda d'artista

by Piero Manzoni.

8. 4125067
    bringerofDOOM : Wed 24th Nov 2021 : 4 days ago

"rational sounds that connect with us"

I wonder if we use the term "warm" for mid range because it is where the human voice resides. Perhaps some maternally influenced stuff going on? I guess Freud would be proud of me, when he wasn't doing coke with his basement slave...

:D

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums