See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

DJ 2Nice Lowescompanymusic IP Theft

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Fri 2nd Jul 2021 : 2 months ago

DJ 2Nice looperman profile:
    https://www.looperman.com/users/profile/707744

This user is taking vocal stems from looperman, remixing them and adding his own production tags, then selling them on his private site.

I contacted him, and he was friendly and amenable.

I explained that what he was doing hurts artists and is blatant IP theft.

I explained that it was violation of looperman rules as well(AFAIK).

He maintains that he does this for "his" artists, but doesn't make money or have contracts with the artists.

This kind of thing can cause branding damage and catalog conflicts for artists and producers at the very least.

This can also cause huge legal problems if a track takes off and generates lots of plays and money.

Again, 2Nice was VERY FRIENDLY and responsive. He even sent me a link to his web page, which is very well made and maintained, but he does not seem to see a problem with his actions and attempted monetization of other people's materials.

I saw MANY MANY vocals from looperman used this way on his site. Most of them including mine, were available for sale on his site.

I suggest to contact him and ask him politely to take them down if this bothers you.
    It bothered me quite a bit!

But for the third time, he seems like a well intentioned guy who just has the process wrong and doesn't understand IP law.

Hope this helps some people, and I hope DJ 2Nice gets his monetization issues straightened out so he can continue to make good music in a legitimate way.

Maybe @Shan or an admin can chime in here and get this going in a good direction before it gets too out of hand.

-Slimm

DJ 2Nice website with sale points on tracks:

https://www.n1m.com/lowescompanymusicproductions

The youtube channel(the vast majority of tracks are set to private, but are streamed on his website):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_ew_v7a1qQqtnHPcKwNZw

2. 4597371
    MrAxel : Fri 2nd Jul 2021 : 2 months ago

Slimm, it is already out of hand. DJ 2Nice has already taken it to the next level it seems. It does not appear that there are any protection enforcement mechanisms here for acapella recording artists here on this site. This site makes it so easy for those with nefarious and profiteering intentions to monetize and that is awful. The acapella artists here are left with the responsibility of filing takedown notices everywhere. It is probably very hard to keep up with these thieves.

Looperman should find a way to lock all acapella downloads. If someone wants a particular acapella, the acapella artist here would get an auto-email-generated request authorization from the server here. Then the acapella artist here could then approve or deny the download request from the other party. The download would need to be bundled with an additional license text file or maybe additional license checkboxes to download after the authorization to download is granted by the acapella artist here.

Something needs to be done other than the acapella artists here chasing these hucksters all over the world with takedown notices.

Mr. Axel

3. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Fri 2nd Jul 2021 : 2 months ago

Looperman doesn't have the infrastructure to enforce or even to send cease and desist letters.(afaik)
    It does however keep records of who downloads what and when. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem to pull server records if there was an important court case.
    Unfortunately I have gotten used to contacting people and labels that are misusing IP. Mostly they don't respond, and then I report them through youtube or whichever streaming service they are using.
    I really have to stress, that although what 2Nice is doing is WAY over the top, he doesn't seem to understand the gravity of his actions. That's why I took the time to contact him.
    I sincerely hope that he gets enough responses here and through his website that he starts to understand the seriousness of IP theft to artists.
    I agree we shouldn't have to spend so much time cleaning up and educating people, but sometimes it's the fastest solution.

Your idea is interesting Mr Axel! :)
    Also it would be helpful to have auto-generating forms for Cease and Desist on the site, or at least templates with an explanation. Many artists simply do not know how to begin when they find a violation. Others are not interested in monetizing and enjoy the "flattery of theft" (good enough to steal)
    I'm not like that at all, but I'm trying to be cool about it.

For others reading this post:
    Basically if you have an acapella on looperman, there is a good chance 2Nice is selling your song on his site. :/
    -Slimm

4. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sat 3rd Jul 2021 : 2 months ago

Apologies
    I have to be more precise, because the monetization is ambiguous, and I may have some aspects wrong. I don't want to cause extra problems for 2Nice.
    So..
    -As per 2Nice the youtube videos are not monetized through youtube.

-The videos are privately streamed to the n1m.com website, where 2nice has a page, as embedded video.

-n1m.com has some kind of advertising revenue thing going on. Paying for various membership plans turns advertising off.(n1m.com is re-streaming youtube content and playing advertisements to produce revenue)

-it is unclear which tracks are for sale on rarables.com and if they are infringing IP or not. I found no tracklist info.

-I saw no links or credits to original artist other than song titling.
    The website says "I like to take a moment to say thanks to all my fans and subscribers for supporting our artists and recommending our tacks all over the world." and the tracks have a production tag on the audio.

I am producer and I am not credited. I am not their artist. We have no contract or verbal agreement whatsoever.

The tracks open with the tag "You are listening to the sounds of lowes music company productions..."

The tracks of mine being re-streamed are my production with a beat underneath. It is presented as if produced by 2nice. There is no mention anywhere that it is a remix. :/

In the "About" tab, there is this text.

"About Lowescompanymusicproductions
    The Home of Real Hip Hop

Dj 2nice ( Hip Hop Pioneer )

DJ 2 nice of Lowescompany Music Productions is one of the original hip hop pioneers from the Bronx New York who came up during the era of DJ Afrika Bambaataa and DJ Kool Herc, before Jay-Z and the Migos. Moved to the south and remained true to the game. Has an eye, ear and passion for talent and good music across the spectrum, where every song or track is a music collector’s item, each limited and unique in it's original format. Love working with and promoting new and upcoming artist and trend setters. All sales or royalties from artist album or songs published or featured on our websites goes directly to support our featured artist."

Hopefully I got the details correct here this post. I don't want to badmouth 2nice, as he seems like a nice guy who just has the legal aspect confused(hopes).
    I really don't have time or energy to spend on nonsense like this, but it seemed like an ongoing abuse of youtube, looperman, producers, engineers and artists to me.

This is a link to some screenshots.
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3K9CP3q

Done!
    Good luck people!
    Slimm

5. 2864463
    LizzyChoppe : Sun 4th Jul 2021 : 2 months ago

"All sales or royalties from artist album or songs published or featured on our websites goes directly to support our featured artist." The fact that this is on the website and is blatantly not true (seeing as he's not even crediting the artist) I think he knows what he is doing, or at the very least straight up doesn't care. In that case, our only option is to wait until he steps on the toes of someone bigger than him who can afford to take him to court about it and get him in legal trouble.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums