Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

I NEED A MICROPHONE

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 4570004
    hqz234 : Thu 25th Feb 2021 : 3 months ago

Hi, I know that looperman is more about production and others but I need a microphone and an audio console. My budget is maximum 160 $ but I need something good. If anyone knows please comment on this thread or send me a message on instagram. Thanks

2. 2095164
    Mobitz : Thu 25th Feb 2021 : 3 months ago

Even though you're just starting, you should get an audio interface and an XLR microphone, not a USB microphone. Even when you compare and ok XLR setup to a nice USB setup - the prices are similar, the XLR will sound better, and the XLR will be cheaper to upgrade in the future. I bought a blue yeti when I started getting into recording. You should not.

For an interface, common ones are the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and the M-Audio 2x2 (although recently I think the latest version is called the M-Audio AIR). They're both great and they both run around $100 USD. The Focusrite I think is generally more popular, but the M-Audio uses USB-C which plays really well with newer MacBooks if that's what you're recording on. If you need more than one mic input, both companies make versions with 2 mic channels for around $150, but if you're a solo artist just getting started you probably won't need more than one. It's pretty easy to find these interfaces used on places like Facebook marketplace if you're looking for a deal, but obviously quality may vary. I would recommend looking for an interface in this price range, not scrounge around for a strange brand or old model just cause it's cheaper.

For microphones, there's a LOT more variety. You can spend $20 or you can spend $3000+, and to be honest, when you're just starting out it's not the biggest deal. This is where you save your money when you're on a budget. And later, when you decide to/can afford to upgrade, you just get a nicer mic. The first question is do you want a condenser mic or a dynamic mic:
    Condenser mics are the type usually used in vocal recording settings. They're very detailed but are very unforgiving, meaning that if your room is echo-y, you have noisy neighbors or pets, you live near a busy road or train tracks, or you're a piano/guitar player and will be recording your instrument at the same time, the mic will pick all of that up just as clearly as your voice. If you live in a quiet place with decent acoustics, this is probably your choice.
    Dynamic mics are used more for radio broadcast and live performance environments. They're a little less detailed, especially in the high end, but they do not sound bad by any means. They are MUCH better at background noise rejection and really focus on what's right in front of the mic. If your acoustic space is unreliable, or you anticipate the need for live use, or you're going to be recording vocals while also playing a MIDI keyboard nearby, this is probably your choice.

3. 2095164

For condenser mics, the AT2020 is very popular but would probably go beyond your total budget. The MXL 770 and MXL 990 are a bit cheaper but can be harder to find. And honestly, don't sleep on the Neewer microphones. These mics get a lot of crap because they're super cheap, but if your concern is your budget they may be exactly what you're looking for. There are a ton of audio shootouts online between the neewer mic and more expensive microphones and you may not think the difference is worth an extra $100. There are also a bunch of other random brand condenser mics around $50 that are decent quality as well.
    For dynamic mics, get either a Shure SM48 or Shure SM58. The SM58 is probably the most common mic of all time, but again may break your budget. The SM48 is 95% of the sound at less than half the price.
    In general though, there's a lot more wiggle room with the mic than the interface. browse around and see what you like/fits your budget. "Podcastage" on YouTube does a TON of mic reviews including all of the ones I've listed above. If you want to hear what they or any other mic you look up sounds like, I'd check there. Browse around though. Ultimately, if you like the sound and it fits your budget you should go with that one. This is where you save money now and where you can upgrade later.

Other goodies you will need are things like a pop filter, mic stand, and XLR cable, depending on what does and doesn't come with your mic package. Keep this in mind when you're planning your budget and picking your mic. Quality is less of an issue with these, but just get them. A $10 pop filter is worth it, I promise.

4. 4570004
    hqz234 : Thu 25th Feb 2021 : 3 months ago

@Mobitz I don't know how to thank you man, you wrote a lot and it helps me a lot. I'm an artist, I'm just starting, I already have lyrics and songs but I need a microphone to get serious.

I want it to sound at the best possible quality and not hear any of the outside sounds, so I guess what suits me best would be a dynamic. I've been keeping an eye on the AKG P120 and the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 but I don't know if the combination is good or not. Then I think the best thing would be to buy a microphone stand because it is more comfortable to rap standing up than sitting and an antipop is quite cheap so it is not a big problem.

5. 2095164

The AKG P120 is a great choice. I've never used the Behringer, but I'm not the biggest fan their stuff based on what I've seen in reviews and sound tests. Maybe check Facebook marketplace for those interface deals. I just looked and found a post of someone selling a Scarlett Solo with an SM48 for $75 XD.
    That being said though I think any combination of AKG P120 vs SM48 and Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 vs Scarlett/AIR would get you what you're looking for.

In regards to dynamic vs condenser, if you live in a house in the burbs and can make your room quiet without fans/traffic/neighbors, get the AKG. If you live in a dorm or a city apartment or something like that, get the SM48.

6. 2689354
    jive4005 : Thu 4th Mar 2021 : 3 months ago

Start with a SHURE 58 or even a knockoff of same. Musicans Friends usually sells them at decent prices. If after trying that one you think you need to upgrade, fine.

7. 4570004
    hqz234 : Fri 5th Mar 2021 : 3 months ago

@jive4005 Taking into account that the price is lower and the microphone is more modern, I think the akg p120 would be better for me, the problem then is which console I buy

Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums