Presonus Firebox Audio Interface HELP

Posts 1 - 4 of 4
  1. 4688343
    prodbydsk3 : Tue 9th Feb 2021 : 1 year ago

A while ago a friend of my dad's gave me a bunch of music equipment, including an presonus firebox. All the videos I see are from like 2010.
    Here are my questions:
    1) Do I need to set up the presonus software, cubase 4, etc to use it
    2) What wires or chords or wtv do i need to be able to set use it on my laptop

Im on Ableton 10 on Windows if that helps.

2. 909327
    MEUSIC509 : Tue 9th Feb 2021 : 1 year ago

4 pin or 6 pin firewire depending on laptop and most presonus interfaces are plug and play shouldnt need driver.But if you do you can find the driver on presonus website and im not an Ableton user but do know it works on that daw.

3. 4688343
    prodbydsk3 : Wed 10th Feb 2021 : 1 year ago

@MEUSIC509 Sweet thanks! So if I just get the firewire then I should be able to connect it to my computer?

4. 4597371
    MrAxel : Wed 10th Feb 2021 : 1 year ago

Apple computers were the people who tried to force Firewire on all of us but they abandoned it in 2016 instead. I know, you said Windows. But the adaptation for firewire on Windows was lackluster at best. Firewire was supposed to be the USB killer and it did outperform USB ver. 2.0. But when USB 3.0 arrived it became the Firewire killer. Firewire is not dead, but it is going through a very slow ending like what Netflix online streaming did to Blockbuster physical video stores, a slow and ugly death. One could argue that even older USB technology like USB ver. 1.1 is more useful than firewire due to its wider availability on devices. Today we find the USB standard on other devices such as thumb drives, card readers, USB charging adapters, printers, microphones, audio controllers, cameras, smartphones, smart TVs, and USB ports in automobiles and airplanes. Firewire was not as lucky on some of these things I mentioned.

If you have a newer laptop or PC, chances are you do not have a firewire port. You might have to purchase a USB to Firewire adapter. On newer Laptops, you are more likely to see a USB 3.1 port(s), or an eSATA port, maybe a Thunderbolt 3 port, or a USB-C port, or some combination of what I just mentioned. But, Firewire, not so much these days. Now, Cubase 4 goes back to 2007-2008 before Windows 10. But, is it still useable? Of course! Audio gear older than 12 years may present some challenges including their 32-bit old drivers as opposed to 64-bit drivers that some hardware and software vendors use today. If you are knee-deep in old technology then I would say go for it. Nothing wrong with that. But if you mix it with newer things of today then expect unforeseen glitches, problems, and possible crashes.

Cheers!
    Axel

Posts 1 - 4 of 4

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.