Belated Intro

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 2237161
    Aysedasi : Mon 25th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

I've actually been a member here for over 2 years and check out new loops pretty much every day. I'm 63 and I started making music on my pc about 25 years ago (although there was a 14 year gap until 2 years ago!). I use loops in (don't snigger!) an old eJay programme, although I'm long past the stage of using any of their loops. Most of my loops come from here and a couple of other sites. I love long, repetitive and heavily rhythmic music. Many of my tracks are 15-25 minutes long. My love of this kind of music stems from my teens listening to Can and Faust in the main. Most of the loops here (and certainly nearly all of the accompanying categorisations) go completely over my head as I listen to very little modern music. But more to the point, I've finally acquired a midi keyboard and I've investigated a few DAWs but just don't have a clue how and where to start. In most of the DAWs I can't even produce any sound yet! So if anyone has any good advice for a complete novice about how to start working with DAWs, I'd appreciate it.

2. 1547231
    Lek : Mon 25th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

Hey there welcome to the forums. DAW wise you’ll find FL is the most popular on here but I use Reaper and it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than FL and easier to use I’ve found. Not that it’s basic. But you can get started with it very easily. I’ve been using it for 5 years so I should be able to answer a lot of your questions if you decide to go that way but good luck with whatever you choose.

3. 2237161
    Aysedasi : Tue 26th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

Thanks very much Lek, I appreciate that. I've been thinking of trying Reaper but have also noticed how popular FL seems to be. I guess I need to learn to walk before I can run though! I think Reaper is only £60, but has a free trial, so I might just give it a try.

4. 1547231
    Lek : Tue 26th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

Yeah give it a go. It’s very easy to use for manipulating loops if that’s what you’re primarily looking to use it for as well. If you do use it and have any issues give me a shout and I’ll try and help you out. Thanks for the appreciative feedback as well by the way. Don’t normally get any thanks for helping people out on here sadly. Good luck!

5. 847669
    EricMilligan : Tue 26th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

Hi, there, Ayedasi! Greetings from Ottawa!

A belated welcome to your belated introduction! :)

I can't give advice on PC compatible DAWs, as I work on a Mac. but Lek's advice seemed quite sensible to me.

Sounds like you have some tracks done, but not posted. File size for tracks that long might exceed the Looperman size limit, but perhaps you could do a "radio play" version of them for posting here? Would be interested in hearing what you've been doing.

I'm considerably older than you, so would be nice to hear what the youngsters in the UK are dong these days! :)

Eric

6. 1969524
    officialBoyNextDoor : Wed 27th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

I use Abelton as it is More Technical in the Pro Industry and although the Plugins are expensive it has never let me down once i would def get abelton tho use a student id and they give you it cheaper.

7. 2237161
    Aysedasi : Thu 28th Jan 2021 : 1 month ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome very much, although I've been 'lurking' for quite a while. Since about 1997 I've created 20 'albums', 10 between 1997 and 2005 and another 10 in the last two years. Something close to 200 tracks. When I say 'albums', we're talking here of a minimum of 2 hours 20 minutes for each of the later 10 albums, one being 3 hours 24..... Although the earlier ones had tracks ranging from about 5-8 minutes, most of my tracks are now in the 12-18 minutes range, although I've made about 25 which run for at least 20 minutes. I have a thing about repetition and gradual change allied to a strong rhythm and beat. I did a 'series' a while back to which I gave an 'MMS' prefix - 'mesmeric monotony series'. A bit pretentious and a bit of a mickey take on Can's 'ethnological forgery series'. The music garners little favour in my household, competing against my wife's Rod Stewart and Michael Buble (both of which seem to be on constant loops!). I've always said it isn't for public consumption due to the very amateurish way in which I make it, although I have used one or two tracks as soundtracks to videos on Youtube. The most important thing is that I have a lot of fun doing it and listening to it.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums