How Should I Reduce Sharp Ess Sounds

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 4142896
    Accedia : Tue 7th Jul 2020 : 1 month ago

Everything I record my vocals with an ess sound its always extremely sharp and almost unbearable to listen too at times. I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest ways to reduce this? Thanks.

2. 2961826
    OGKLeechy : Tue 7th Jul 2020 : 4 weeks ago

use a de-esser
    whatever DAW ur using just google it with "de-esser" and you'll have a preset/vst to do it

3. 308224
    theHumps : Tue 7th Jul 2020 : 4 weeks ago

Eq is important. Depending on your vocal range you may have to clip some of the lows, mids or highs. I have a low voice so I need to watch how they interact with my guitars and bass. I clip my lows(high pass filter) but I also have to lower my freq's around 8-10k because they do cause a problem in the mix. I use a low pass filter to clip the high freq's too, 11k roughly.

I use a pop filter and I've been singing about a foot away from the mic and singing just over the top of the mic rather than singing directly into the mic. My compressor mic has like a mushroom top shaped area where it picks up the vocals so I figured I could cut out some issues by making these little adjustments and it has worked ok for me. I don't use a de-esser, they suck in Ableton but that is what you can use.

Learning how to sing properly helps too. Pronunciation of words that start with the letters s, p, t... cause problems so learn to sing those words so that you don't emphasize the start of the word.

Lastly, learning how compression works is important too. Attack, release, ratio have a considerable affect on singing, it's something you have to practice over and over to get right but it's hard and takes lots of practice

Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.