Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

Problems With The Looperman License For App Developers

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 630386
    Unknown User : Tue 21st Apr 2020 : 1 year ago

This is not a rant or rave it is just pure facts that has become problematic now. It appears the Looperman license has forgotten about or failed to mention audio app developer use of loops that they download here.

For my own due diligence I read the TERMS & CONDITIONS with particular attention to the COPYRIGHT AND USE OF LOOPS section. There you find that you can indeed use loops in your projects for commercial and non-commercial purposes. Great! Also, you cannot download a bunch loops from here and offer them as a paid or unpaid loop pack. Awesome!

Where the license fails is for app developer who create Android and iOS apps and game. Quite often I get requests from students and other app developers who want to use my loops in their games or apps. Once again the Looperman license mentions that you can use loops in your projects and that you cannot just give them away which I concur with.

The problem is app developers do not fit inside that current framework for the definition of using a loop in a project. In the Looperman license project use is loosely defined as content you might hear on YouTube or SoundCloud for example, but not exclusively only there. So what happens to audio app developer usage? They are not making projects that fit inside the current Looperman License definition of a project and one can argue that they are bundling up loops and giving them away but inside the app.

I am forced to grant licenses directly to the app developers so that they may use my loops for free, and just the app developers, because many of them are students, and they tell me that their Professor or Teacher requires them to get written permission from the loop author to use any Loop from here in their games or apps. So I say I am forced to write licenses for them to use my loops because I do not want to stand in the way of someone trying to get a grade in school for their work on an audio app. But this problem is largely because there is nothing written in the Looperman license for audio app developers to grab onto. I hope we can get an update because other loop producers here can demand that audio app developers to pay them a royalty fee or at the very least, take down an app due to a minor oversight in the Looperman License. Looperman, guidance needs to be given either way.

2. 3103352
    Unknown User : Tue 21st Apr 2020 : 1 year ago

this is interesting w copyrights. so nice you are connected w the dvelopers and students that is great man.

3. 630386
    Unknown User : Wed 22nd Apr 2020 : 1 year ago

Thanks! Yes, the only reason why I wrote this was in support of the students working from home. They have cited the lack of language for app developers in the current license. Because I produce loops in over a dozen genres I get requests for permission by app and student software developers all over the world who are not making tracks or videos. What they are doing does not fit in the current framework of what a project is defined here.

LOOP PRODUCERS: If YOU get a request from a student or developer, I would like to encourage you to please respond to them until this issue is addressed.

4. 1231236
    joecramer : Wed 22nd Apr 2020 : 1 year ago

Hey Joe :)
    does that mean that i can make a song from loops from looperman and use it in an app, cause it is a song and not a single loop but not only a single loop?
    And if yes then my next question is - when i mix 2 or more loops to make a "new" sound, is that then a song or also not (now) allowed? (copyright is really strange)

And something different i wonder about is - is the free for use license from looperman really free for use in every country or only in the country where Mr looperman host the files?

5. 630386
    Unknown User : Wed 22nd Apr 2020 : 1 year ago

Hey Joe! lol,

Joe, you are catching on. The current Looperman.com license as it stands is very outdated. By no means am I criticising anyone. My student and music software app developers loopers are all I really care about here on this issue of licenses. But Mr. Joe, you pose some interesting questions about the Looperman license that I am not qualified to answer. But what is clear is, the license is very outdated.

@Joe you asked: is the free for use license from looperman really free for use in every country or only in the country where Mr looperman host the files? GREAT QUESTION! The quick answer to that is no. Why? Because Looperman.com does not have an international licensing governing body that is made up of members from all over the world like The GPL (The GNU General Public License) or C.C. (Creative Commons) has. Those two licenses are constantly evolving and get updated quite often.

For example, in another recent forum post, a user who has a paid account on LANDR has said that LANDR had rejected his song because it had Looperman.com loops which LANDR does not consider Looperman.com loops as valid Royalty-Free files. Whoa! That is huge. So Joe, I am not trying to go down the whole royalty-free license road in this forum thread. My primary focus are my student and software music app developers who use my loops in their apps. I am sure we can all have a long discussion about licenses here someday. But thanks a lot Joe, there is a lot to unpack here about licenses! :-)

Cheers!
    Joe

Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums