Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

Got A Quick Tip For Dealing With Loops In FL Studio

Posts 1 - 25 of 27
  1. 3541363
    Quantumhead1 : Thu 19th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

Gonna make this quick coz I'm working on a new track!!

But I just figured something out about loops. If your loop isn't working with the tempo of the song (but still has the right BPM) then either divide or multiply the BPM by two through Edison. Once you drag it back into FL, it should still be in sync with the beat but running at either twice or half the tempo.

Hope that's useful! Now I'm gonna get back to my tune. Much love xD

2. 1547231
    Lek : Thu 19th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

You shouldn't even need to do that. You should be able to stretch or contract a loop within your DAW to whatever BPM multiple you like.

3. 3541363

Not without altering the pitch buddy.

4. 2891382
    FriedPotato : Thu 19th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

What i do if certain parts of the loop are off-bpm is i use the Slice tool and slice the beginning of those parts, then, i make them unique, change their Time Stretching mode to Stretch on the sampler, and then i hit Shift+M to toggle stretching and i drag them until they're on-bpm. Always works for me

5. 1547231

You obviously have to select the option "Preserve pitch when changing playrate" (in Reaper) or whatever the equivalent is in FL buddy

6. 2891382

If yall are talking about stretching the loop without altering the pitch, in FL, you just have to double-click the loop, then you should see an option called "Resample" on the right, click on it and change it to Stretch. After you did that, just enable "Stretch" on the top left in your Playlist (it's next to Z-Cross) and use the Draw tool to stretch your sample.

7. 1547231

Wow if that is the way to do it in FL that’s a lot more complicated than doing it in Reaper

8. 2891382

It really is not. Once you memorize the stuff you do it almost automatically lol

9. 1547231

Yeah I guess that’s true but it’s more steps than Reaper is all. In reaper if you select that setting you can then just drag loops around and it’s all automatic. You get used to what you get used to though I guess

10. 3541363

Lek, if I have to go messing around changing settings in my channels then it is no more complicated to just manually enter a new tempo into Edison. That takes 2 seconds. If you've got an alternative method of obtaining the same result then great, but that doesn't make it any better (or worse) than my way.

11. 3541363

@FriedPotato. Yes, I did start out doing that (i.e. changing the resampling option to pro default) but for some reason it often ignored the change and continued stretching the pitch. I don't know whether maybe it's because I'm using FL 9, which is pretty old now.

12. 3541363

@Fried Potato. I really don't know what I'm doing with Slicex. I've only just begun to start exploring it recently, but already I'm seeing what a useful tool it can be for mashing up and rearranging samples.

13. 2891382

I use FL 20 so we may be talking about two different worlds here lol. Also, i use Slicex when i want to chop a whole song, not small loops, when i said "Slice tool" i literally meant the tool you find in the playlist, i don't know what shortcut it is on FL 9 but if you press C you'll get it.

14. 3541363

@FriedPotato. Sorry buddy, I understand. You mean the default slice tool.

Oddly enough, one of the reasons I don't use slicing very often is because of another thing I can't get to work properly in the main program: declicking. Drives me up the wall. That's why I do all my editing in Edison these days. Never any problems declicking samples in Edison, but for some reason trying to do it through the channel settings window in FL never works for me. Even if I scroll right down to crossfade it often just makes the click sound worse. Maybe I have a bugged copy or something.

15. 2891382

I don't know about FL 9 , but FL 20 has some declicking options on the sampler channel, try to double click your chop(sample) and see if there's a declicking mode option, a no bleeding transient or something like that.

16. 3541363

Yeah bro, I know where the declicking options are. They just don't work. Crossfade is the most aggressive option but it often makes the click sound even worse. Occasionally they work, which only makes it more frustrating when they don't. I don't know what the issue is to be honest, but I found a workaround and that's good enough for me.

17. 3541363

To be fair I really should upgrade to FL 20. Don't know what I'm thinking using software which is over twelve years old.

18. 2891382
    FriedPotato : Fri 20th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

I mean, it sounds like your declicking options are buggy or glitched, you should try upgrading, if you bought an original copy of FL, you should be able to freely upgrade without problems. The only issue would be getting used to the newer interface and tools.

19. 3541363
    Quantumhead1 : Fri 20th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

Completely agree dude. I looked into a few Youtube tutorials on declicking a while back because I thought I was just being stupid, but I quickly came to the same conclusion. Definitely gonna upgrade, but I figured I might as well wait until I buy a new laptop. This one is on its last legs.

Yeah, you're right about the new interface too. That's another thing that has held me back. I'm still not fully competent at using the one I've got at the moment, but at least I can navigate the basics and make a tune. Gonna be annoying having to waste more time getting to grips with a new version. If it was just a one step upgrade then it wouldn't be as bad, but jumping from FL 9 to FL 20 is probably gonna take a bit of time to adjust to.

20. 2891382

About the interface, its probably not going to be a whole different thing. Imageline follows a certain pattern with the interface and stuff. In my opinion, the time you're going to take to get used to it is worth it comparing to the time you're going to save by using the new tools and stuff

21. 1962250
    eggs0ntoast : Fri 20th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

FL will squash and stretch a loop to a point before altering pitch in a major way and pitch adjust ment is there but a bastard to get natural sounding result past the point of no return all loops like you mention with the bpm can be half or double timed with no pitch chance or stretching/squashing just amount of bars change, rex loops if you have a choice when pillaging free sample kits and stuff are gold as the drawcard for a rex loop is that when stretching the loop it only stretches the empty space not the entirety of it therefore not lengthening the frequency wave to a lower Hz and also a different note in conjunction rex is good :)

22. 2891382

What?

23. 1962250
    eggs0ntoast : Fri 20th Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

me? main thing i was trynna get at was the difference between a rex loop and a wav loop is rex dont alter in pitch as the kick samples in the loop for example are not stretched just the space between them in contrast to the wav loop where the whoule thing stretches, i forgotten what daw it is but the rex file point is its major drawcard ill ask my mate he used to use it

24. 2891382

Dude, i'm trying to but i seriously cannot understand what you're saying right now.

25. 3541363
    Quantumhead1 : Sat 21st Dec 2019 : 1 year ago

Lol!!

Posts 1 - 25 of 27

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums