When Writing A Song

Posts 1 - 4 of 4
  1. 3013556
    JohnSmokey : Tue 10th Dec 2019 : 1 month ago

When writing a song do you think its better to rhyme every line or say what you mean?

Or is there a right time and right place for everything?

2. 2843322
    derekloops : Wed 11th Dec 2019 : 1 month ago

The more thought you put into it usually the better it comes out. All up to the person though.

3. 1041668
    wikkid : Wed 11th Dec 2019 : 1 month ago

Hi,

There are no set in stone rules when crafting lyrics. But there are some things you'll need to keep in mind because listeners will be your ultimate critics.

I agree with the comments of derekloops. The more thought you put in, the better.

The way the melody works with your lyrics is also important. Words can trail off or wrap around a note, or even words can be stressed differently so that they appear to rhyme with your previous lyric.

Most popular music is still rhyme oriented, but each genre has its own set of standards.

Listen to some of the great songwriters or songs that you enjoy to break down what the lyricist did right.

And don't limit yourself to one genre. Go out of your comfort zone to listen and analyze how the lyrics compliment the song, and take what you've learned when you write your own compositions.

Above all, write about what you feel comfortable with, because you never know where you'll shine.

I wish you all the best.

4. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 15th Dec 2019 : 1 month ago

Spend time reading lyrics from songs that you admire. This will give you a feel for how to fill the page and to see how much rhyming is actually going on. I find meter and inflection to be equally important as rhyming. I spend a long time revising lyrics to pack as much meaning into them as possible. (Just like a novel writer spends more time editing and revising than anything else)
    All aspects of every song I write revolves around a vocal part and a hook. Vocals and hooks always come first, then the rest is much easier for me.
    Hope that helps.
    -Slimm

Posts 1 - 4 of 4

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.