The Problem With Looperman And New Artists

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 2864463
    PlagueMD : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I wanna start this off by saying this: I have absolutely no problem with people making what they want to make. It's just a bit frustrating being swamped out like this genre-wise. You'll understand what I mean as I go on.

So a lot of people make trap/hiphop/whatever beats, and a lot of people rap on them. Problem is, there are so many of them, and they all sound near identical. I get that finding a signature sound takes time, but a lot of beats are so basic and barely stand out at all, and a lot of new rappers rap about pop topics like drugs, sex, partying, etc. You have the occasional sadboi who talks about his struggles but even that seems a bit generic anymore, because of the sheer amount of them.
    Again, there is nothing wrong with people making what they wanna make, but I wanna look through these forums and find people who make stuff that's actually different, I wanna see a variety of genres, not dozens of rappers and beatmakers who all sound identical and have the same style, modelling their beats off of popular artists' instrumentals ("Lil Nas X type beat" "Drake type beat") like no, we don't want "[popular rapper] type beat", that's not how you get successful. Your music doesn't stand out if you slap someone else's name on it. If you wanna make something influenced by those popular artists, do it, but don't slap that artist's name on it and basically remove your whole branding.
    And the rappers themselves don't stand out, either, usually. They're mostly people rapping about living an awesome life or drugs or whatever, and a lot of them think they're "changing the game" when they barely make a dent. I can barely tell any of these people apart, and there are so gosh darn many.
    There's no variety of genres on this site anymore.
    Just a thing that bugs me.

Again, nothing wrong with making what you wanna make, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

2. 3403798
    SpillageVillage : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I feel you. I think it’s a problem of people “looking for their sound” too long and just making stuff that’s repetitive. I honestly think I’ve found my sound, but I use “type beats” as titles because I have literally NO inspiration for what to put with titles.

For this, the sample packs should be to blame. There are so many sample packs on like that are catered to only on artist’s sound, like a Gunna sample pack or Metro Boomin sample pack. I wouldn’t want to make a masterpiece with the same pieces someone else used, because then it won’t really be MINE. There needs to be more people going around teaching others how to get inspiration and making quality melodies.

I am so fed up with some drum kits that I might start going around making my own drum kit. It’s a serious problem. It’s high time for someone to change the way people make beats.

3. 1487757
    lafftar : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I disagree completely man, there is so much variety it's crazy, sure the hip hop section is flooded with 'type' loops but how are we supposed to get the attention of rappers/producers that are looking for a specific feel? Genuine question.

Blues, ambient loops, acapellas...there's so much to work with. I'm not really sure your gripe with this site is valid.

4. 1041668
    wikkid : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

Hi OP,

You stated "There's no variety of genres on this site anymore"

I understand what you're saying. It could appear that way if you go directly to the Loop upload section. However, there's so much more to this site, and even on the Loops upload section many people post loops in different genres. It just takes time and patience to listen, or even skip over loops marked with names of current artists.

Have you used the search feature? That's what where I find most of the loops I like to use in jazz, pop, Old Skol R&B, ambient, cinema and whatever else I decide to create. This weekend I searched for horn hits by typing in "Brass" and decided to check out the funk genre. Bingo. I found hits that I can edit, transpose, time shift, etc. on the original song I'd created.

Although I post deep house and EDM on this site, my compositions are varied. I just don't post them here. For me, Looperman is but one musical resource, as I believe the gentleman who set up the site intended for it to be.

Sure, I listen and download from the new loops section, especially ones with an old skol feel. Some of the loops are from seasoned musicians who state upfront that they don't know what to do with their creation and hoped someone else could use it. That's generousity at its finest. And some like Danke, Joe Funkastic, Minor2Go and others are prolific uploaders and give away royalty free loops in many genres.

Please check out the search feature. There are older loops on here in a variety of genres that can suit any taste.

5. 1041668
    wikkid : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

Hi OP,

My apologies, as your post largely goes into what you dislike about the current state of hip-hop music (with rap, trap, etc being sub-genres imho) which I didn't address.

That's something you will have to deal with on your own, as music, like taste is subjective. I will tell you that this happens in all genres. For a time disco music was so prevalent that many people expressed dislike and also had record burning parties. Many felt the beats were repetitive and the music simplistic.
    Google "Disco Duck" and you will cringe at how bad it got. Anyone and everyone thought they could be a star in the disco genre.

But when one genre dominates for too long that's usually when change occurs.

I wish you all the best.

6. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

^^^What She Said^^^

It's all here which is why we come here. Thanks for shout out Wikkid!

7. 2864463
    PlagueMD : Sun 1st Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I've been using Looperman for some years now (since I was in 7th or 8th grade, I'ma Junior now), I know a lot of the features, and I browse the forums more than I do the actual loops section. When I do, I do know how to search. I mostly really look for choir samples to use as backing in my drops. That's not my problem. My problem lies in the forums, something I don't really think I clarified well enough (a fault on my part.)

The "Collaborations" section of the forums is all full of what I talked about, with a few diamonds in the rough.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with people making what they want to make. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way about dubstep as I do about subgenres of rap, and that's fine, I'm not gonna try and stop anyone from making the music they want to make. My main issue is the repetition in the rappers and producers themselves and how they advertise themselves as someone different from everyone else when, to a lot of people, they sound almost the exact same as everyone else around them.

8. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 15th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

"Get off my lawn kid!"
    hehehe.
    -I will say in support however that I think that the genre pulldown menu needs to be simplified so that more variety comes up in genre searches. It seems dated and a combination of obsolete and overgeneralized genre tags. Probably the genre tag should be open like a library to manually typed additions during upload like some other sites.

9. 3624977
    harmonie : Tue 17th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I've stumbled across a wide variety of Loops on this site, very cool stuff!! Recently I have played with some guitar loops, a native american flute sound, and some percussion too! I'm a starry-eyed newbie, but I think there's a great variety of sound here to create with...

That said, I don't think musicians of other genres mix beats and do digital music mixing as much as hiphop/pop/rap artists and that's why they are not represented here. So you won't find many "Celtic folk" or "opera" or "blues improv" people here because that's not the way they roll...:-)

10. 3103352
    Rockseller : Wed 18th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

check my soundcloud drop link blah collab drop your links below fire emojee ya down drop link blah production to the next level suck my fire emojee you sample rat I make free type 25 bugs fire emojee sample collab bro

drop ya links

11. 1564425
    Rasputin : Wed 18th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

PlagueMD, it sounds like you're talking about the producers at L'Man, but really, you are describing the whole pop music industry. There has too long been an attitude of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So very similar-sounding records get produced, over and over, every year. They are selling pop music the same way Kellogg's is selling cornflakes, as in: "We have a consumer demographic who has come to expect X from us, so by god, we give 'em X. It would be financial suicide for us to throw something new and untried at this demographic."

Me, I have my "usual suspects" of scapegoats to finger-point at: Young people aren't studying Music theory anymore in schools; today's musicians think they can totally get by without studying music or the craft of good lyric-writing, or listening to anything from the past; people listen to music differently nowadays-- nobody sprawls on their bedroom rug and listens carefully to an album in its entirety anymore, because today music is meant to be background wallpaper that you DO things to, not peruse carefully. Music has been turned over to the fashion modeling industry, essentially, and is no longer being produced by musicians, strictly speaking... It's become Visual: Nowadays all you need to do is look good and shake your ass. Digital music tech has enabled everybody and anybody to make something in their mother's basement that sounds vaguely like music...

The list goes on-and-on...

12. 2405080
    HomieOnIce : Wed 18th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

that's why alot of people should name their samples ransom stuff then in the credits put the inspirations. I do this with my uploads. Also all of you stop making and uploading bad samples lol

13. 2701483
    hellceaser : Wed 18th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I agree with the "Rapper type beat" naming thats just stupid.
    But other then that you and the others sound like a bunch of old people "I miss the old days", "Remember in my time they studied music theorie" blah blah blah.
    Music has been changing and it always will be changing.

Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads