Losing Faith In Myself As An Artist - Any Tips

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 3518674
    ApolloStark : Fri 22nd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

Hey guys. My name is Apollo Stark, I’ve been a rapper for about 3 years now. For a long time now, I’ve been very anxious about dropping stuff because I feel as if I’ve lost my mojo. This isn’t supposed to sound pitiful, but music is my escape from the upsets and blues that this life brings with it. I make music to instil and inspire people, boost morale and fortify spirits. But I feel oh so low myself. People have let me down in situations where I depended on them and I just feel so low. I have no mixing or mastering experience whatsoever and in regards to beats... well nobody sends me anything because nobody takes me seriously anymore. At least that’s what it looks like.

Regardless of the circumstances though, I wanted some advice. I keep having periods of writers block and my confidence goes up and down. Things never used to be like this. I want to hear from you guys about your experiences, what you learned from them and how to bounce back from them. Also, I do wanna invest in a home set up - something cheap but I don’t know where to start. What gear would you guys recommend?

2. 3020585
    TravisEroberer : Fri 22nd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

Hi Apollo! I read your text and i can say you that sometimes i feel in the same way. Never forget why you started. As you said you are making this to boost peoples morale and fortify spirits. You cant give up now. Think like that there is people who needs you. Im not professional at mixing and mastering but we can collab if you want! Maybe nobody takes us seriously but we can take ourselves seriously.

You looking gears for recording or producing ? Eventhough i dont have any gear in my home maybe i can help you about that

Peace ^.^

3. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 22nd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

Hi,

Since you're on a computer (and if its a PC) download Audacity to get started on creating your own music, with an asist by downloading royalty free loops from this site. There are enough YouTube videos to show you how to get started. All you need is the desire and patience.

There are also probably free trial versions of popular DAWS you can use, but first you'll need to understand the basics. I've been doing this for quite some time. Made the switch to digital while retaining most of the analog in my home studio.

Lots of things can affect your mojo. A death in the family, no place to live, heartbreak, you get sick, etc. But if music is something you love, then it will come back. Sometimes you have to prod it along by focusing on something else.

Authors can also experience writers block. Singers can experience panic attacks or other ailments that affect the voice. Inspiration can be found in the simplest things, or either by getting professional help (sometimes the depression is too great, and no amount of music or doing what you enjoy will make things better. Its important to recognize when you need counseling).

Take the time to learn what you don't know. Look around your local community for any open mike poetry slams. Yes, these open mike slams will help you hone your lyrical and performance skills, since you like to rap.

Lastly, music can be a solitary endeavor at times, especially when you're trying to find your unique skill set. Sometimes you have to sharpen your own talents before you can work with others. Or perhaps you will need to work with others in order to get better. That's where school or making contacts with other musicians can help. While the internet is nice, what's even better is face to face tutoring or working with others (young or older) person to person, imho.

Having all the best DAWS or instruments in the world aren't worth much if you don't know what to do with them. I wish you all the best.

4. 3103352
    Rockseller : Fri 22nd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

hey there's a lot of ups downs. dont mind. you cannot always be creative n make good stuff. thats normal. but its only a question of time till inspiration comes back to you. if you trust people they may let you down. but it's much worst if you dont trust people. its impossible to be really good at mastering, mixing etc after three years. I think its really a tough thing to be alone as a rapper. but all that feelings n expiriences you describe...man thats tings u should write about! this is a song. its gonna be real. its sad when u stop making music. i want u to continue bro. when u find joy in something, do that! whether its making beats, rap, remix, learn an instrument, whatever. sometimes I have blocks too. When I was creating intensly for some days, after that I'm kinda tired n empty. and only bullshit coming out. so fuck it. I leave the house, walk around w my dog, meet people, get fucked up. I dont have to force myself. bc I know, after some time there will be a craving, a wish n desire t make music. it always comes back. n then tings come out like nothing very easy. cannot really control inspiration. even that word. has to do w spirit. some say it comes from god. if you tell me what to do that supports you Imma do that for real. I want u to make music. u need that. u want that. your life will be poor without it I guess. n musicworld will also be more poor without you. oi dont put to much pressure on yourself so you loose joy.

5. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 23rd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

What I heard you say runs way deeper than music. You said: But I feel oh so low myself. Nothing good can ever work in your favor if you are currently feeling that way. But, with your spirits up you have a better chance at creativity even if you have a small learning curve at what you are trying to accomplish. Ideas and solutions seemly pop out of thin air when you are up your game and you seem to know that.

Coincidentally I also said I lost my mojo in another thread which is directly connected to the recent death of my brother. So when your mojo (loss of creativity or energy) is gone other things become increasingly more difficult to handle to include every day life. Producing music should be a far much lesser priority for you right now. You need to focus more on the root cause of your personal dilemma and find a solution for it. Music can be a pleasant distraction, but like drugs, it wears off and you still have to face the problem or issues that has got you down in the first place. Be honest with yourself and talk to a friend, trusted family member or a professional counselor.

Then and only then can you come back to music production refreshed and renewed with a better mindset and a better chance at succeeding.

Mr. Funktastic

6. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 23rd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

...when you are up ON your game...

7. 2463217
    Helperman : Sat 23rd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

Post your stuff, lets hear it.

8. 3013556
    JohnSmokey : Sat 23rd Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

Audacity is a good bet for cheap recording. I cannot say there is any real cheap way to go about it. A good Digital Audio Workstation(DAW), pre amplifier, and microphone can run up the tab a little bit. Over the years I would say the setup I have is about 3,000 which is not too bad in the long run as I expect it to last a lifetime and it is something I really enjoy.

As for passion never question your own passion. We all go through our ups and downs when writing. Sometimes it feels like we are writing the same song 12 times. What helps me is just to write a short note before like.... literally write in pen

"Write the lyrics to a song about..."

that simple trick seems to be my biggest help. Sometimes it starts slow. But there is no rush in writing lyrics. I used to just want to blast out rhymes and they would wind up making no sense.

Sometimes you may think it's writers block just don't rush yourself.

You figure todays rap is about like 6 things

Money,
    Women,
    life,
    troubles,
    success's
    story,

so everytime I write a song I tend to jot those things down too see which one feels "on" so to speak.
    Sometimes I will only get a few lines or sometimes it will flow and i'll get a whole song. Or one of my lines could be used in another songs for another Idea and I jot it down off to the side.

I've also learned to go with anything because sometimes the first line wont work but the second or third will be money.

also if you get stuck and cant think of a rhyme you can always use the backwards sound of the a word or a few words....

for example "sdrow wef a re drow" is the reverse of "word or a few words"

and a rhyme for that could be "throwed we are off the dro" which is not the greatest line but it rhymes.

I too try to inspire people.... And honestly I release my music on SoundCloud knowing no one will hear it. HAHA and anyone whos got something to say f*** em all.

https://soundcloud.com/johnsmokemusic

here's my SoundCloud maybe you get inspired by it.

Anyway hopefully I helped.

9. 2463217
    Helperman : Sun 24th Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

I swear half these people replying didn't even read what the guy said.

10. 3485190
    WTFPRODUCTIONZ : Sat 4th Jan 2020 : 2 weeks ago

Hey dude... you're forgetting that feeling low about yourself makes for great inspiration in darker side of your creativity. Makes for deep music your feel in your heart. You believe in it more if its not just music anymore... some of my best creations came on the $h!ttiest days. https://soundcloud.com/randy-vargas-764640966/a-reflection-of-mewav
    I made that yesterday before court. I got reset but i went in pretty confident that i was coming home for a while. I felt low... Being in prison is trash bro.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads