Hey Looperman Community We Are Losing The Loudness War

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Tue 22nd Oct 2019 : 1 month ago

I have just noticed something in the featured tracks. We have seriously fallen victim to the loudness war as a music community overall. The lack of dynamic range in so many of the songs here are clearly evident to this issue. Songs here suffer from extreme high gain, over compression, over saturation, and unnecessary brickwall limiting among many other things. The digital clipping noise over 0dB makes many of these songs in the Looperman Featured area very difficult to listen to and enjoy. To fully understand what I am talking about, please watch the short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcKDMBuGodU

I get it, some people here are new to these concepts and do this as a hobby. But others who have been on this site for more than five years are making these simple mistakes. Now, I am not saying one should not make loud songs, no, by all means do what you want as it pertains to loudness, but excessively loud songs will not advance your music ambitions very far or as an artist to be taken seriously. I understand that trap and dubstep by design are loud genres but so many of them lay waste due to poor mastering skills, or the lack of mastering and they focus more on the boom or wub factor while drowning out everything else. So they turn to compression as a solution to raise the softer elements and lower the loud ones which will nearly obliterate the dynamic range in those songs. Still, it is clearly your choice, you get to choose. But also keep in mind your fanbase gets to decide as well! They just might decide to stop following you because of this.

Do you agree or disagree. Why or why not? All comments are welcomed, yeh or nay!

2. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 22nd Oct 2019 : 1 month ago

I agree.
    i really really really agree!
    and i bet that also Dubstep and Trap songs would sound better without all this loudness and compression.
    But to be fair i have to say that i am also loose sometimes myself to the loudness war, cause i seen to much of full green songs here and a part of my mind starts thinking that i need a little more loudness ..... strange cause it mostly didn't sound better

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 23rd Oct 2019 : 1 month ago

It will be impossible to address this issue without looking at the real root causes which unfortunately stray a long way from the actual loudness wars debate. Classical music can have a dynamic range of up to 30db, Jazz up to 15db, all urban music you'd be lucky to get 3db, now what does that say? The trouble with contemporary styles is their being dominated by a certain demographic which has no interest in understanding music and it's production techniques apart from at a very superficial level, all that is sought is instant gratification from their peer group and any associated prestige, I can't believe that the thread "Hits made from Looperman Loops'is so narrow minded and bias to only include a few urban genres, that's totally disproportional to what actually exists globally, in fact rap music is only a very short dead end street on the road map of world music, ok without labouring the point the loudness wars have indeed been lost, but so have legitimate hit parades, where properly produced music (as in made) is presented professionally. Looperman is a prime example of what can happen when unregulated attitude with little or no technical expertise holds sway, sad but true.

Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.