How To Make My Mixes Sound Better

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 1427796
    ChaseMercata : Tue 17th Sep 2019 : 4 weeks ago

Hey Guys, i produced a track for a friend: (https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/207570) and i need tips on how i could better mix and master this track as i am a beginner at producing.

I have heard terms like EQ, compression, reverb etc and have an basic idea of their purpose but still a little bit lost.

If anyone could give me some tips or pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2843322
    derekloops : Wed 18th Sep 2019 : 4 weeks ago

Nice track! After listening to it, I can hear that the vocal doesn't quite sit well with the rest of the instruments. This can be one of the most difficult things to get right in a mix. The key is to utilize the things you've listed, such as EQ, compression and reverb, to make the vocal sound like it was recorded in the same environment as the instruments were.

Using my own ear, I can hear that the vocal sounds a little dry, and it needs more wetness to truly blend with the piano. Dry/wetness, as you may know, is the amount of reverb you put onto an audio. Increase the wet of the reverb, and maybe adjust the size/dryness accordingly, and you may find it sounds better later on in the mix.

The vocal also sounds like it gets quiet at some parts. This means there's not enough compression going on. A strong compression with a slight boost to DB may make this vocal sound more crisp, clear, and less weak.

There's another thing I've noticed, and that is the instruments themselves sound like they are not exactly present. They are strong in the bass frequencies, but not so much the mid/highs. A lot of times you will find unnecessary low frequencies taking up the chunk of your mix, and you will have to EQ them out.

Frequencies should reflect the type of audio being played. For example, for deep sub bass, 808s, etc. you will want to keep those low frequencies of course, but for a piano like this, they aren't as needed. Low frequencies are still great for a piano to make it sound fuller, don't get me wrong, but it is noticeable when there's too much of it going on.

Increase the mids/highs of these instruments, as those generally sound more appealing to the ear, and maybe add the same wetness effects to them as you would to the vocal to truly blend it all together.

Towards the end of the track, I can hear two vocals being played over each other. You can hear them fighting for the same frequency, creating the sound of a duplicating effect. This can sound off to the listener. To prevent this, you want to record a separate take rather than copy pasting the same audio section over itself. It's nearly impossible to sing a note in the exact same way you did before, which means there won't be as much duplicating effect, so singers will often record the same exact verse twice rather than just copy pasting it. Takes more time, but sounds better in the long run.

Another key technique would be to make the overlapping vocal more wet and less dry than the main one, (meaning, more echo, less dry audio) so that they won't fight for the same frequency.

This does not mean adding a ton of reverb will solve every issue! It will only help the mix if you know how to precisely tweak the settings to sound exactly how you want them to! I've had to deal with these kinds of pesky sound design tricks for about a year of producing now. Hopefully I've saved you a little bit of time by writing it all here. Let me know if this helped.

3. 1427796
    ChaseMercata : Wed 18th Sep 2019 : 3 weeks ago

Thank You! i appreciate the feedback and will definetly get back to you once i have time to try it

Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.