GUIDE 3 Tips Using Reverb More Effective

Posts 1 - 11 of 11
  1. 3402622
    TheGreatSphd : Tue 20th Aug 2019 : 4 weeks ago

Hello my hitters out there,
    Im Marcus "sphd", im an Major signed artist and producer and today i wanna discuss the way, reverb is able to give a song a specific way of vibe.
    In the opposite, i believe there a some technically things you should pay attention to,
    or else a wrong reverb setting can fuck up your whole song and you wont even notice until
    the song is released and the comments fuck you up, too.

We as humans are creature of habit, that means in fact, if get used too much to a certain kind
    of sound, we will accept it certainly without ever thinking about it, because it sounds normal to us. If you got the habit too overuse reverb, normal people will notice that really fast and for them it feels not good, for the producer it do, so because he is used to that unnatural sound which is anchored in his producing and mixing habits.
    But we are music producers, our customers aint, and they got a whole different feeling and mindset while listening to our songs.
    We as humans listen to reverb everyday. When we listen to other songs than ours, when we have a conversation, or just drop a thing on the floor. Our brain got bonds to how reverb sounds, we experience reverb everyday.
    So we connect some reverb sounds with some daily situations. That means in the end, we cant use every crazy reverb sound on any drum or instrument without care. If we just shit on everything, we will end up confusing our listeners with unnatural sounds and if youre not Timbaland or 40
    youll have to accept, that you have to mix your visions and creativity with some kind of conscious
    when it comes to reverb.

While listening to loops, beats and your accapellas, i noticed many people are in that experimental stage regarding reverb and as a single loop it may sound cool or fire, but imaging it in the whole mix of a song. The more and larger the reverb is, the more unnatural it will sound but it also got the effect, that this will rly soon drag out your space for other elements in the song.
    I also understand that most people arent able too calculate reverb times that are technically correct and make sense in context of the song. So i got 3 tips for you all to increase your reverb game in overall context of the song.

Tip 1:
    "Less is more"

Yes, indeed it is. Try to be more dry, than wet on your setting, but you should form your reverb sound while the knob is on full wet and turn it back to dry when youre happy with the sound, until you got a more natural sound. try adjusting your reverb on your instrument or vocal on solo, and do the fine settings on dry/wet in context of the whole song.

2. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 20th Aug 2019 : 4 weeks ago

How about just using your ears as a general rule? There arent any other rules.

3. 3402622

Tip 2:
    "Plate vs. Room Reverb"

There are some key sonic differences between a plate and an actual room.
    Plate reverb is the sound of vibrations through metal, while rooms are the sound of vibrations through air. Sound moves through the metal of a plate anywhere from ten to twenty times faster than it does through the space of a room. This means that not only is the echo density in a plate even throughout its decay, it’s also very very high.
    Room is the more natural way and you wont end up confusing people, if you choose wise reverb settings. its the safe way, while with plate reverb you are able to create some character on how your reverb sounds. there are so many possibilites, but never forget to check it in context of a song and if you got enough space for your other sounds. Nothing is more worse than a track where the reverb of the main instrument or drums eat up all the space for the rest of the instruments.

Tip 3:
    "Samples"

If you want to work with a sample, but the reverb on it is crafted way too crazy or unnatural, or it
    doenst fit with your imagination of the song you got 2 things you can do at that point.

1: Contact the producer and ask him if you can have a clean version without reverb.
    2: Forget it.

Reverb is something we cant reverse or just cut out in an audio stem. if the reverb is too much, it is too much. there is no way we cant work with that file or make it less bad. make that your credo instead of looking for a soloution. even with killer plugins like izotope rx 7 de-reverb you wont be able to set the reverb up to match the vision or the vibe you want. You can reverb, reverbed things up, but you can never take a reverb out of a file so far. Imagine you got that killer piano sample with way to many reverb and you produce a beat around it, but in the end the large church reverb of
    the piano sound unnatural and kills all your space for drums or other instruments. sad story bro. if you get a major placement the engineer will replay your melody or just drop the project, but you are out of the project anyway at that point or will get less %%% on split. ive been through it.

SO if you upload loops, try to dont overuse reverb. let that element be in the hands of the producer who wants to work with that loop. Give him the space he needs to build up a beat around the sample or be prepared to upload 2 version of the sample if you got a crazy reverb for it.
    A clean one and one that got your effect. you will end up having an easier life and the engineer that mixxes the song on the end of the day will too. you are raising your chances to get a major placement drastically. some big producers i know, drop 70% of there looperman samples because the reverb is to heavy and irreversible and cant be tamed while mixing the song - not because the melody is shit or the overall quality of the sample. Think about it. Let me know if you need some help! Dont forget to Hit me up on Instagram: @_sphd

4. 3402622

as i mentioned, the rule that your ears goes first is not true in all cases.

The reason why is the following:
    "We as humans are creature of habit, that means in fact, if get used too much to a certain kind of sound, we will accept it certainly without ever thinking about it, because it sounds normal to us.
    If you got the habit too overuse reverb, normal people will notice that really fast and for them it feels not good, for the producer it do so because he is used to that unnatural sound which is anchored in his producing and mixing habits."

5. 631823

So at the end of the day you want "dry loops" so to speak.

There is a lot to be said about reverb or delay for that matter, as reverb is just a form of delay. Each piece of music needs a different setting, different ambiance and all you are doing with reverb is create space around a sound source, you are effectively setting that dound source in a 3D space.

Loop creators love reverb because it makes everything sound big. Just learn to work with what you have.

If the producer used something really wet and that sample is an essential part of the production you cant just drop it out of the project.

I get what you are saying but at the end of the day you are trying to impose your vision of how things should sound and that aint the right approach

6. 631823

And honestly I doubt any engineer would drop the project just because there is to much reverb going on. As someone that owns a commercial studio and has worked for over 13 years with the biggest labels and publishers in the world I can for sure tell you we dont drop projects for that reason. Most listeners dont really know about all the technical stuff and dont really care about that to be honest.

7. 3402622

no you got me wrong, if i wanted to do so, i would post examples. like you said, music is subjective and there aint that formula. but tell me what to do with a piano with a pre delay of 200 and a reverb that is 9999 ms long? its not like its unrealistic, i think there are many loops like that here. i dont want dry loops, i dont even rly use loops that much. oder ich sags mal auf deutsch, fällt mir grad leichter: ich finds sehr ärgerlich wenn ich ne heftige melodie hier finde und sehe, dass durch übertriebende effektierung das potential flöten geht anstatt was vorsichtiger an die sache ranzugehen. aber danke für deine meinung

8. 3402622

i had to replay so many melodys from samples with HQ Gear and to remix it then because the overall quality of the sample wasnt high enough. for us this may be no problem but in most cases it means for the sample creator that he is out of the money split or the contract. maybe our experiences are different there though

9. 631823

I get what you are saying and totally get your point of view. The problem is apart from a few people of the loop makers will not read this thread. Its still a whole loop library and there are a lot of hidden gems. And I can for sure share some bad stuff that I've been through with various "producers" but thats the world we live in.

10. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Tue 20th Aug 2019 : 3 weeks ago

I like the less is more technique when it comes to LOOP making. And I should because I make LOOPS here. Some LOOP producers here actually make LOOPS that have very long effects tails when they use reverb and their ears.

During the LOOP creation, the effects should decay more naturally but what tends to happen is during the LOOP creation is the fxs are chopped off after the 4th bar which is a common problem found in many EDM based loops here. Even some of the commercial LOOP companies such as PrimeLoops, LoopMasters, and others will sometimes drop in a special LOOP tails folder for the LOOP purist who wants that fifth and sixth bar natural decay.

I found some of the LOOPS here on this site where Reverb and Delay settings are used, are sometimes applied incorrectly and would have been more suitable if they were producing a song due to the 4th bar chopped LOOP tail problem.

Other than that the users of these LOOPS can add in more cowbell, oops, I meant more Reverb to the Loop if they want to. The LOOPS posted here on this site should be drier, but not totally dry because some of the sounds and instrumentation in their LOOPs can sometimes get over-saturated and convoluted.

All said, this is simply a guide, so I applaud you TheGreatSphd for sharing your knowledge. A guide like this is meant to be a starting point and not an end-all. Ultimately the LOOP producer will have to tweak your recommendations to suit their needs.

11. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 20th Aug 2019 : 3 weeks ago

Maybe a section for loops that include the decay would be a good addition to the site. Or just make the loop an 8 bar loop instead of a 4 bar loop. That would pretty much give producers the option to use those loopd creatively when it comes to breakdowns, bridges etc.

Posts 1 - 11 of 11

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads