M-Audio Keystation 88 Has No Sound Help Please

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 3296204
    1FineFox : Mon 8th Jul 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Hi! I am SUPER new, so I apologize in advance if this is a simple question, but I have searched for hours on the internet to find solutions, with none. Today I received an M-Audio Keystation 88 older model controller keyboard. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on my laptop. I use Ableton Live 9.5 or Studio One, I believe it is 3. I run the M Audio via USB to my laptop. Also tried running it via midi cord thru my PreSonus Audiobox USB. No matter what I did, I get NO SOUND from the keyboard-controller. I know, since I am new, I am the one doing something wrong, as it worked perfectly when I picked it up -I tested on the owner's computer. Terms like mapping and such right now I do not understand, so if anyone can help me with newbie terms I would be ever so grateful. Do I need to purchase a 9v AC adapter? Please help. Thank you all so much.

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 8th Jul 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Hi..the M-audio keystation has no actual sounds within it, it's a controller keyboard that lets you play vst's, rack synths or sound modules..First thing to do in Ableton (with the keystation turned on and connected to your computer by usb cable) is go into Ableton's Options menu (top left hand corner) and go down to "Preferences" then go to "Link Midi" within that menu. On the left hand side of this you will find a column called "Control Surface", scroll down until you find your device "Keystation Pro 88" and choose it, then go across to the next column "Input" and choose the appropriate device, in most cases this will be the midi port on your interface, there will be something similar sounding when you aren't using and audio/midi interface and just a usb port. Next go down below the columns in the preference menu and find the Input section under "Midi Ports" turn the "Track" and "Remote" boxes to on..Ok now when you hit a key on the Keystation you should see a light blink in the very top right hand side of Ableton's display (next to the D) if this lights up you are ready to rock and roll if not something went wrong in the setup...Ok now you can create/choose any "Midi" track and get going, use the "All Ins" tab to select your device (same as you did in the Midi Ports, you will see a midi signal within the midi track meters spike when you hit a key, ok now drag and drop a vst or Ableton instrument into the same midi track, remember to change the "Monitor Box" under the "Midi From Box" to In.......hope this helps.

3. 3296204

Hi @PlanteJazzBass : Ok I did all of what you said yesterday, except the second part (looking for the light) you have gone into PERFECT detail for me OH MY GOSH thank you, I am going to go step by step with your directions, and see what happens!!! I am using USB to connect the keystation 88 for power, do I also need to buy the 9v AC adapter, or is the USB cord enough? I cannot thank you enough for explaining to me in terms I totally understand :) You Rock. Barbara

4. 3296204

Hello again, I did all of this to the letter, and no light showed in the corner of Ableton so it is not reading/recognizing the keyboard/controller? I do not know how to even reset to factory settings, or anything, how to get to "channel 1" etc. The LED is reading zone 1, group a, group b, group c, 01, 73. I don't know what ANY of that means. I am such a noob I am so so sorry, I just want it to work like it did at his house. Thank you again.

5. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 8th Jul 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I'm sure there is a simple reset procedure for the Keystation, they can be quite convoluted without consulting a user manual (and who doesn't hate big confusing manuals!) I did own an M-audio controller ages ago and it was complicated if you strayed into it's deeper functions so do a Google/youtube search and I'm sure there's plenty of information out there, Your model probably is usb powered and only needs an adaptor when your running it without a computer in standalone mode. The great thing is when you do get it up and running (which you will) you can remotely control so many functions within Ableton it's amazing, but like all things digital it's better to only use what you need otherwise you can get lost quickly. cheers

6. 3296204

Hi @PlanetJazzBand unfortunately I downloaded all the manuals, watched all the YouTube videos, etc. regarding this M-Audio Keystation 88. Perhaps because it is an older model, I spent just over 9 hours of researching yesterday and found no help. No where in the manual (there are two) for this model did I see about how to set at channel 1 or to reset to factory defaults. I will not give up, as it worked at the place I picked it up from, and for some reason my computer is not recognizing it in either Ableton Live or Studio One. It recognizes all of my other controllers/pads I have acquired, so I am totally lost. LOL. Thank you for your kindness and help, so very much. I truly appreciate it.

7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 9th Jul 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I've had similar problems with gear and I know how frustrating it can be....Ok you mentioned that you tried connecting it through your Presonus Audiobox, this is the method I would persevere with, if you can see your audio interface recognised in Ableton you definitely will get connectivity eventually, you'll need to power the Keystation through an adaptor though and connect via midi cable the Keystation's midi out port to the Audiobox's midi in port, plus it is essential to have the the Keystation transmitting on midi channel 1 and Ableton set to receive midi on the same channel, solving these sort of connectivity issues is always laborious I know....hope you can get it working! :)

8. 3296204
    1FineFox : Tue 9th Jul 2019 : 2 weeks ago

SUPER! Ok I ordered the AC adapter, I do need to figure out how to get the Keystation to transmit on Channel one, I searched both manuals, and online to see how to do it, and wrote to M Audio as well, it is like Rocket Science! LOL! I appreciate you so much. I will go the midi/interface route, then, because the other way (USB alone) surely is not working I tried for hours again today. So frustrating that I am so clueless about this. LOL. But thank you so much again, for your confidence, it really HELPS!!!!

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads