Boss HM-2 Equivalent Plugin

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 841435
    ValveDriver : Tue 21st May 2019 : 4 months ago

Hey guys, (and gals), what's happnin'?

Currently, I'm using Line 6 pod farm 2 for my guitar tones. They have a few good distortion sims, but none that are clearly a sim based on Boss' HM-2. I'm trying to get that old Swedish death metal sound, much like early Entombed, or Bloodbath. I could tweak knobs and settings to get something close, but I thought I'd ask my fellow loopers if they know of any good equivalents. I've done a few searches, but didn't turn up with anything useful.

If you have any leads, or suggestions, let me know. Thanks, guys.

Take care.
    V.

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 21st May 2019 : 4 months ago

While vst modelling has come a long way, I've never heard a guitar sim that's as good as it's analog equivalent, they always sound slightly submerged and layered under some virtual insulation, why not just get the Boss pedal and be done with it.

3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 21st May 2019 : 4 months ago

Are you looking for something like this:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/204377

You can pretty much get that HM2 sound with a bit of eq matching with almost anything really.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_metal2.html

That's an emulation of the HM2, I'm sure there are others as well, IK Multimedia's amplitube also has an emulation that comes with Amplitube.

If you want the hardware version you could always buy the 30$ Behringer HM300, don't get fooled by the name it's really close in sound.

4. 631823

And get rid of that pod for your guitar sounds or at least get a good pack of cabinet IR's and disable the POD cabinet emulation. Your tones will thank you

5. 841435

PJB: True, the digital counterparts never sound as good as the analog. But with some dedicated time and experimentation in EQing, you can get pretty damn close. I would go out and buy a pedal and be done with it, but it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good considering everything I do is purely digital.

Mahloo: yes. That is the sound I'm going for. I took a quick glance at the link you provided. I will look deeper when I'm not at work, looking on my phone.

As far as EQ matching, do you have any tips or tricks that could point me in the right direction? I'm still pretty F'ing new at the whole making Metal thing.

6. 631823

I used plugin alliance's metal2 plugin but truth is you can get a similar sound without it, just scoop the mids but still retain some upper mids in there to give it some meat. The HM2 was usually used with everything to the max going into a clean channel of an amp.

With podfarm you can pretty much play around until you get a decent sound but the upper mids will always be fizzly and sizzly. You can sculpt out a lot with an eq with really tight band curves. And besides in metal a lot of the guitar sound comes from the bass as well, when they play together it just creates a huge sound. So don't be afraid to distort the bass guitar.

One thing I would do is invest in something like Redwirez Impulses or some similar product, as that will give you the option to choose from a wide selection of mics and cabinets and quite frankly they sound better to my ears than the stock cab emulations from podfarm, amplitube, th3 or any other guitar amp plugin out there. You just bypass the cab in the amp plugin and use a REdwirez cab impulse for the cabinets.

There are a ton of things you can do though, like quad track guitars with different settings, use less gain, yep you don't need it cranked up especially if you use an amp sim, use multiple mics on cabinets to get a fuller and bigger sound etc. etc. etc.

7. 631823

And by the way I just uploaded the example for you to check out but a similar sound was achieved with a tubescreamer going into a mesa triple rectifier amp, you can just play around until you are happy with the sound

8. 841435

Based on what you've suggested, I'm definitely on the right track. I use a double track, not a quad, for the guitars. Each with different settings, and panned about 70% to each side. I do distort the bass...most of the time. I try to EQ the bass and guitars so that they don't overlap too much on the lower end, but still scooping the mids on guitars. As far as gain goes, after plenty of tweaking, I have learned that it doesn't have to be cranked to 11.
    Thank you for taking the time to throw some advice my way, and pointing me toward some alternative software. I greatly appreciate it! This right here is why I keep coming back to the Loop.

Take care.
    V.

9. 631823

TRy panning the guitars 100% left and right and pan the cymbals or overheads at 60-80% left and right, it will give some definition to the drums and leave some room for the guitars on the side. Obviously it depends on what the cymbals are doing but quite often they might interfere with the guitars and create a washy irritating tone in the upper mids.

As for the bass try splitting it into multiple parts, basically duplicating the bass DI track and then use one for low end, one heavily distorted for heavy parts where a bit of grit is needed, one for note definition (which can be a clean amp sound/not necessarily a bass amp), and use an amp simulation on another one for some low mid grit or dirt. Combining these will give you the option of getting a big bass sound while keeping the frequency ranges clean, as a side note you can automate the different bass sounds so that for example in a clean verse part you get more note definition and low end while on the heavy choruses you boost the distorted tracks a bit more getting a more aggressive sound.

The same concept can be applied to guitars, I tend to use an SM57 combined with a Royer 121 or a Sennheiser 421, the royer and the sennheiser are darker sounding so I keep more of that for not so aggressive verse sounds while boosting the SM57 channel during the choruses, it really helps make everything pop and bring the guitars forward during those choruses.

There are plenty of things you can do, and sometimes a blend of microphones just creates a fuller sound.

I often quad track guitars and use 2 amps and different cabs for the guitar sound. For my personal taste it's the best way to get a great crunchy, warm but still aggressive guitar sound. Just experiment with it, you never know what you might end up with

10. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 15th Jun 2019 : 4 months ago

Don't know if you still want this but you could give this a try:

https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

Their stuff is great honestly. And it's free

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads