DAW Vs DAW Vs DAW

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 23rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0SKwEI_7Wc

A really interesting comparison of just 2 DAW's in the video but the same could be said about others as well.

Don't follow the hype but rather follow your ears, its just a tool(be it digital or analog) and the magic is in your ears.

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 23rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Sage advice Mahloo, and yet many will get a DAW based on the absurd belief that it's the best for their chosen genre! lol...I must admit, though I have never used, seen or heard a Neve console in action that I've been brainwashed by the historical hype of this hardware, fortunately their prohibitive cost always brings me back to reality and sanity!

3. 631823

The Neve's are really cool, as are SSL's and APi's and Audient or Toft etc.

However one must ask himself if an analog workflow fits his needs. There are quite a few drawbacks when it comes to analog and just from a costs point of view there is a huge gap between analog and digital.

Analog gives you the ability to move fast and make changes on the fly on multiple instruments but it also limits you in terms of processing as the routing can get quite intricate and the gear can be quite expensive so you are forced to commit certain gear to certain instruments, you cant just have 24 pultecs on there (I mean you can if you've got the mojo $$$). Lets not forget recalls, if you need to pull an older session up, well tough luck, you are gonna spend 2 hours patching in gear and putting everything back to where it was during the session. It gets frustrating but it can also be great. As someone that works in both world I can say I enjoy both.

As far as DAW's go, yeah some do have certain advantages or rather they are oriented more towards sequencing or mixing duties, none of them have it all perfectly figured out. You just need to spend some time and learn it really well and you can do wonders with any DAW really.

It's not the gear, nor the DAW, nor the plugins or the room, it's all in how well you manage the session and how much you practice.

4. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Tue 23rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Great find Malu! The guy uses pure commonsense, pure visual evidence, and pure audio evidence to make his point undeniably clear. And I concur with him.

Malu, the analog summing Vs. the digital summing, my ears are not as sharp as they once were. I have some hearing loss so the analog summing Vs. the digital summing part was a complete toss up for me. What is your conclusion or opinion on analog summing Vs. digital summing? It is my assertion that you will get a more rich and warm textured sound from analog summing over digital summing but once again I have loss some of my hearing range over the past few decades. So what do you say Malu?

5. 2503597
    mister534 : Tue 23rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

I use Ableton for the workflow...

6. 631823

Joe that's a great question. So let me put it like this, during analog summing you sum your audio with the help of an analog device which when driven at a certain level creates harmonics, hence the richer textures, it's part of its color which might or might not be desirable. Experienced engineers reach for certain pieces of gear based on that particular distortion and the color it imparts to the audio.

In software you can create similar (I insist on similar) things with the help of saturation (distortion) plugins.

Now if you bounce a digital mix with no effects at all, and then run the same dry source files through an analog summing device and bounce that mix, there are gonna be differences between the two, however if you add effects to the digital mix and start saturating things the line will start to get blurry between the digital and analog mix.

So I'm sorry but I can't give a clear answer as it depends a lot on what actually happens in both mixes.

But overall I do think that the whole analog vs digital thing should be put to bed and people should just choose what works for them. Similar results can be achieved with both and to be honest the vast majority of listeners couldnt tell if it was mixed digitally or in the analog domain, you really need to know what to listen for and even then some people do such a convincing job that it's hard to tell them apart.

And I wouldn't worry about the hearing loss when it comes to mixing, you can always use analyzers but most importantly mix with your heart, you need to create a performance and quite often the most impressive mixes are not perfect :)

7. 1041668
    wikkid : Tue 23rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Hi,

I still use my Akai 4 track reel to reel (with cutting edge tech like sound on sound LOL) because of the memories and the warmth I get from the recordings. Same with my suitcase model Fender Rhodes, even though I also use a Korg workstation and several Rhodes VSTs, for both the Fender bass and keyboard.

I think its all because of the memories, but slowly and surely I'm switching from my music analog studio to digital. I had to do the same with all my video production equipment (ah, the arguments over the use of film vs. digital film cameras). Truth be told, my late mother was the one who convinced me not to get rid of my equipment once I'd upgrade, and now I think I could open a museum of old tech. Hey, having an 8 track in your car meant you were hip to the latest and greatest tech! Even having an 8 track along side your RCA model turntable (made of real wood, because it had to blend in with the home decor) was saying something back in the day.

So I agree with Mahloo 13's "people should just choose what works for them" or as Sly Stone sang, "different strokes for different folks."

Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads