How To Overlap Sequencies On Same Pattern

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 713971
    HenryPascal : Mon 1st Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Hi guys, I need help with FL Studio. When in the pattern I overlap the sequence of piano roll one upon the other (in the same pattern), they both play instead of "cutting" when the second begins. For example, I sampled a vocal track, I wish overlap the one sequence on the other in the way to get a cut of just a few seconds of the ending ... but even overlapping them both play to the end, with a noisy, unpleasant listening effect. I use version 8 XXL edition, because currently I only have a very old netbook with Windows XP. I'm going crazy and I don't understand what the problem is and the online manual didn't help, since it's all in English and I don't know all the technical terms (even to write this whole post I used Google Translate, forgive me ... .). I hope I was clear, please help me, otherwise I risk throwing away two weeks of work on a song that I care a lot about!

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 1st Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

It's been years since I used FL 8, but I'll try to help. By the way, FL supports XP at least up to version 11, which is leaps and bounds better than v8. I have used v12 on XP, but it is not officially supported for v12 or v20.

Anyway, it seems like you are going about things the hard way. There is also some missing information.

Are the samples you used loops, as in do they have loop points? If so, turn off 'use loop points' in the sampler channels.

As far as doing things in an easier way...

You could place the piano roll sequences in separate patterns, and do the work in the playlist. Then adjust the patterns so that only the section you want plays back. It's hard to recall if this is possible in v8 or not.

You might be able to use cut groups to do what you are trying, though it is hard to tell. In the sampler channel properties, you can assign a cut group number to one channel, and then use the 'cut by' set to that group on the other channel.

Easiest of all, at least in my opinion, would be to open the samples in edison or other wav editor. Then you can crop the specific section you want, and save it as a new sample. This way, the note will only play the desired part, and will only start where the note is placed.

Also, don't forget that you can use the envelope to adjust the playback. It is not turned on by default.

I don't remember if v8 has a sample start offset setting, but this might help. I'm guessing that is a newer addition.

Honestly though, you should really try to use a newer version. I tried to mess around with version 8 a while back, just for fun... it was a nightmare. It lacked almost all of the features that I use on a regular basis. It made everything more difficult. I used both version 10 and 11 for years on end, to make several albums. I don't even like v12 any more, since much has been added and fixed within v20.

3. 713971
    HenryPascal : Mon 1st Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Thank you very much for the helpful paragraph... but i was so...DAMN STUPID! How i could be so f***in stupid??? Few minutes after posting, a light turns on in my mind.... so i search on youtube by k-word "overlapping fl studio 8" and i found a guy that simply click the damn "Cut itself" button, so, after this, that weird effect of crowded singers on a single mic disappeared magically!!! That's what i did: clone pattern, shorten the sample and apply "cut itself" (in Misc page of sampler) By the way, it worked just for the original pattern and the clone... i tried a third clone for another fixing but it doesn't work, so i was forced to create a volume automation clip to the final cut!

You know, i want the last FL Studio versions, but with a so crappy netbook it's a miracle that i can work on 8 version yet! As it is, CPU makes a great effort to play all the channels in real time (especially with the pads...), so i must export the mix in wavefile to "Listen" million-f***in-times all the things need to be fixed.... and work by tentatives............ (million damn points, figure my face now.....)

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 1st Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

I have been there with a poor computer, so I understand. It's tedious having to work with the limitations, but it can also be freeing to creativity.

Happy that you found a solution!

5. 3077340
    unstableonthetrack : Wed 3rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

I agree with @Spivkuri.. Having a low end computer, or low end equipment is actually much better, and far more preferable to someone starting out, or even some intermediate users. Studio/Commercial/Professional quality/grade stuff takes a lot of time to unpack and peel away its layers and uses.. low end equipment will force you to think outside of the box and be creative with what you have

6. 713971
    HenryPascal : Wed 3rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Oh, sure, i'm agree to... but when there's something gone wrong and you don't know where to bang your head... today another problem... after adding filtering envelopment, starting to second refrain, something sounds wrong and i dunno why... in this mix, i use a sample and resample it in sampler page. Until the second refrain, all sounds good, then... some dissonance, not present before... create an effect similar to phasing, it's like when you add a note in the chord but is the wrong chord.... is it possible a conflict between two envelopment?

Once i add the same vst two times in the same mixer channel... whose effect, however, without any reason, affected the entire track and not only the sounds that were managed by that channel!

Why, why FL hates me!

7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 3rd Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

It is a bit confusing to understand what is happening with the filter envelope you speak of. Partly because you are using the word channel, which refers to generators in the channel rack, to describe something in the mixer. The mixer has insert tracks, and not channels. Channels are routed to the mixer.

If however you mean that you have duplicated a VST instrument channel, and you are using both at once, then I may understand the problem.

One thing to note, is if the two sounds are the same or very similar, and playing the same notes, then they may be phase cancelling eachother. It could sound like anything from a phasing/flanging thinned out effect to not hearing either channel at all (if they cancel completely). Sometimes this can be fixed by using the polarity switch on one of the mixer tracks.

Otherwise... If one instrument is routed to a certain mixer insert track, with an effect on it, while the other is routed to a track without the effect - You may be experiencing plugin delay. Some plugins, especially in older FL versions, are not compensated for correctly. Usually it is because the plugin does not report it's latency (delay).

Make sure neither of the channels are not routed to the master mixer track, but are each routed to their own mixer track. In older versions of FL (I'm speaking of v10-12), automatic plugin delay compensation would only work if each channel was routed to a separate mixer track, and each of those was routed to a PDC bus, which was routed to master.

PDC is one of the big reasons that v20 is by far the best yet. In most cases, I can route however I want with whatever instruments and effects loaded, and automatic PDC just works. In v11 and v12, this was not the case. When I was on v10 and lower, I didn't even realize PDC existed, for what that is worth.

Also, even in new versions, some automations, internal controllers and send/sidechains are not properly compensated for. Check if you are using any of these things, as they may require manual delay compensation.

8. 713971
    HenryPascal : Thu 4th Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

Maybe I understand where the problem is, I'm sorry for the terms I use, now I will try to use the terms contained in FL Studio so as not to create confusion.

In a Pattern I inserted a sampled sound (re-sampled on the sampler page, playing with time and pitch) and sent to channel 1 of the mixer, which contains effects (in this moment I don't remember them all)

In another Pattern, I inserted a Moogish bass line (which is quite similar to that of the sample. But after going through all the effects of its mixer channel, the sample no longer contains bass line!)

This Moogish bass line is sent to channel 4 of the mixer, which contains no effects, only FL Filter, on whose cutoff I created the dynamic envelope.

In the channel of the master there is only the preset limiter of FL Studio, I'm not going to add or remove anything, never, because usually the audio quality is satisfactory already.

It can certainly be what you say, yet I suspect that there is something that works badly at resampling, because until the second refrain (and from then on) in the very last part of the clip, sample and bass line clash ....

As for the conflict between dynamic filters, all the filters applied last the entire track, but they are set to 0% output where not necessary: ​​is it possible that, despite the reset, for some reason they continue to work?

I didn't want to do it, but, on the brink of despair, maybe I send you the mp3 file so you can listen to it and try to understand what my words can't explain ... and maybe find a solution ....

9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 4th Apr 2019 : 6 months ago

I think I understand more clearly what is happening now.

It is likely that the limiter and/or master track is being overloaded, during that parts where the sample and bass line clash.

If a limiter on the master receives a signal which is much higher than the threshold setting, then the dynamics will be drastically diminished during the higher peaking sections.

In addition, the master mixer track is the only part of the mixer which has the possibility of digital clipping, which can detroy the audio very easily. All audio that peaks past 0dB will be clipped, the data is lost, and it will sound like nasty distortion, especially when rendered to a file.

The solution to either of these situations lies in mixing. Primarily, this means adjusting the volume fader for each mixer track.

Personally, I would start with this...

Select all of the mixer tracks which have channels/instruments routed to them. Then grab the fader with the highest volume setting. Drag it down a couple dB. All of the selected mixer tracks should adjust downward in a relative amount.

This will lower the input signal to the limiter and master track. The dynamics will be left more intact, and the higher peaking sections will not be 'squashed'. The volume can be made up for with specific mastering techniques, after the mix is made perfect.

You will likely hear less, or none of the problem you describe. After doing this, and then exporting again.

Every audio export I make, I open in audacity to check for digital clipping. There is an option to 'show clipping' as a red line in the waveform view, and also a red LED that denotes clipping occurred while playing back a file. If there is any clipping, I do not consider my mix or masters ready. I also do this with any samples which I make. If I am making an mp3 as well as wav file export, then I check both. In many cases, an export which does not clip as wav will have some clipping as mp3.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads