Any Advice On How To Gain REAL Fans

Posts 1 - 14 of 14
  1. 2452362
    kenjohn14 : Mon 11th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I’ve been making music for almost two years now. I started in a group with a friend, but we recently decided to stop working together so I am now focusing on my solo “career”. I am wondering if anyone has any experience and knowledge on gaining real fans. I don’t want to buy plays and likes. I want real engagement from real people. I am not looking so much for fame as I am just real people to listen to and share my music. I am trying to make connections with other artists and get advice from them as well. If anyone has any good and effective advice, I would appreciate it.

2. 3044962
    prodSlapHappy : Mon 11th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

collab with people

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 11th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I read your profile so I'm speaking to that more so than answering your query, whatever you do don't drop out of school for music, it'll be the worst mistake you can ever make and effect your entire life, there really is no need as you can pursue both but getting some qualifications never hurt anyone and it's something you can fall back on, the sad facts are you probably won't make it musically fans or no fans.....that's not to say you shouldn't try, you get out of music what you put into it however this doesn't always equate fiscally. Ok there's no magic way that's suddenly going to get you fans, if you hone your craft, learn how to play adequately so you can express yourself on an individual level creatively and don't use other people's material you'll find plenty of real fans along the way, also if you think doing music for two years is enough it's only the beginning....good luck

4. 2452362

@planetjazzbass I wasn’t suggesting that two years of music was enough. I was merely introducing my background. Also if I drop out it won’t be because of music. I just don’t feel that college is really for me, but I am going to try and stick it out. I was simply asking for any helpful tips on reaching out to gain supporters. But thank you for the advice! :)

5. 2452362

@prodSlapHappy Yeah I have some collabs in the works and I believe that may help. Thank you!

6. 1547231
    Lek : Mon 11th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I agree with planetjazzbass and also I wouldn't drop out of college unless you have a plan of what you are going to do instead. And trying to make money from music shouldn't be that plan as it is highly likely that won't succeed. As far as getting real fans is concerned, yeah it's pretty difficult. All I can say is produce the music you enjoy producing, if it happens to be original that may also help. But avoid producing " type beats" which is a trap (pardon the pun) a lot of people seem to fall into on here. Trying to be a copy of someone else isn't likely to get you noticed or many fans. The best attitude to have is to enjoy what you're doing and if you get lucky enough to earn a living from it then it's a bonus.

As an aside, I do wonder why people pay for fake plays and listens because then you will never know how many are actually real! And it's usually pretty obvious when people do it so what's the point?

7. 2255594
    slava72 : Mon 11th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

DO not drop of college/university,if you can play instruments and/or sing well enough-start your own youtube chanel,where you can uploud your "live" jams/sessions-electronic,accoustic-does not matter,maybe together with your friends-it might take time to build up fan base,but i am sure it would work(i have idea to do it with my "music",but to be honest-i am lazy)

8. 2452362
    kenjohn14 : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I hope this doesn’t come off as rude, but most of these comments are “don’t drop out of school for music”, yet nowhere on my profile does it say that I am dropping out of school for music; it doesn’t even say that I’m dropping out at all. My question above did not even mention college. If I make that decision, it will be solely based on the fact that I don’t feel that college is for me. This post was simply for advice on how to gain fans/supporters. I do appreciate all of the advice that you guys left, though, and I will certainly be taking your words into account, so thank you :)

9. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

The best way to make fans? Covers. People love covers, and when well-executed can draw tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of views to your social media (namely YouTube). After you build a fan-base, you can start releasing your own unique music for your fans to enjoy.

10. 2537738
    Rummy41L : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I disagree with the 'type beats' comment, because that's often how people search - artists often don't know what descriptions to search for when they want something so they think of an artist who does something similar to what they're thinking of.
    On top of that, tags tags tags - make sure you tag all of your beats/songs so they are more likely to come up in recommended lists.
    As you get more known in general people will start to see your style (even in type beats) and that could lead to them choosing you over someone else who makes the same 'type beats'.

11. 1547231
    Lek : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

@BlackwellUK yeah I know that's true if you are seeking rappers and/or other producers. I was addressing more the seeking of fans which I think is what the OP is mostly concerned with. At least that's how it reads to me. I don't think your average (non-rapper/producer) music fan will be searching for "rapper type beats". They will just search for that rapper and won't be interested in producers who just copy them.

12. 2570342
    nln1 : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

tags while online promoting. if you have thing you can do live on stage locally, it will help keep your presence known. connect and collaborate, support other growing artists and they'll help you grow too. good luck brother

13. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Tue 12th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

First of all there's no secret or special method to gaining fans or followers. Its simple. You earn fans by doing something or supplying something that appeals to them.

To do that as a musician, my advice, first concentrate on perfecting your craft. You want a lot of fans? Produce a good product. Consistently. That is the most important factor. Another factor that can help gain fans is your character or personality. Fans adore those who are interesting, humble, and appreciate them as well and are willing to connect with them. You have to be willing to share a bit of yourself if you want to have a loyal following. Do you have a web site? How about a YouTube channel? Those are two pre-requisites now days for branding and exposure.

Its up to you to choose what path you take and how much you put in to develop yourself and your brand and then ultimately how successful you will become. You say you have been making music for two years. That's not very long bro. So my best advice for you at this point is have patience. Most likely you have quite a ways to go. One thing I observe a lot is more and more people with these huge and unrealistic expectations. Believe me, there are very few Joel Zimmermans or Sonny Moores out there. Being honest with yourself and having some realistic goals and expectations will make the journey a lot more enjoyable.

Lastly, I mean its ok to reach out to others in your field for advice like this but just don't put too much stock in it. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Good luck - Oh and yeah that's something your gonna need too.

14. 700833
    JohnyBBeats : Wed 13th Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

Follow me https://soundcloud.com/johnybmusic and ill follow back and give your stuff a listen. Im mostly dubstep but im down for anything to get followers and real people except for buying them like you said. But if we work on here as a community maybe make a thread for followers. Im in the same predicament right now. Music isnt A+ but its pretty decent. But its hard as crap getting these followers man. Im just trying to be as interactive as possible with them.

Posts 1 - 14 of 14

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads