MP3 VS WAV Exporting

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 2709300
    HeraRevenge : Mon 4th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

I honestly don't know where this falls down in terms of category but whatever. When you guys are uploading music on anywhere; itunes, soundcloud, spotify, etc, what do you guys export in? Mp3 or wav? I was always conflicted over this cause I don't know much about formatting and exporting and I always export my music in mp3 form. But which one do you guys export in and why?

2. 1547231
    Lek : Mon 4th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

As a general rule, MP3 files are smaller in size than a WAV (though there are various formats of each of these as well). And the reason is because they are compressed so you do lose some audio quality. This page goes into a lot more detail about it:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/how-do-mp3-and-wav-files-differ

Generally I render everything in WAV format unless file size is an issue or I'm working with a demo.

3. 2371546
    Sunbeats : Mon 4th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

If you are going to upload to itunes, spotify, etc, I recommend you render them in WAV or FLAC for best quality. FLAC is smaller in size.

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 4th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

Unless you are concerned with having your music available for free, then upload the highest quality allowed for each website.

This means at least CD quality wav files (44.1 Khz 16 bit) for sites which allow it, such as soundcloud. It means 320 kbps mp3 files for sites such as Looperman.

Personally, I find it to reflect badly on an artist if they intentionally upload a low quality compressed file.

5. 2255594
    slava72 : Thu 7th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

wav is far superior to mp3-if platform let you do it -uploud music in wav format!

6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 7th Feb 2019 : 6 months ago

For distribution, (ie Spotify, iTunes, etc) you want to upload in 48kHz 24-bit, as this is the industry standard for audio file quality.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads