From Demo To Master - FREE 8 Part Mixing And Production Course By Waves

CAOTD 002 - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Posts 1 - 25 of 30
  1. 1
    Looperman : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Classic Album Of The Day
    Episode 2 - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

The first studio album by Black Sabbath. The album was recorded in one 8 hour session. The original European version of the record featured the pre-album single "Evil Woman" as the first track on the B-side while the North American version featured the song "Wicked World" (the B-side to the "Evil Woman" single) as the lead track on the second side of the record. Some current CD versions of the album now feature both tracks.

Todays album was chosen by phatkatz4.
    https://www.looperman.com/users/profile/828980

Here's what he has to say

I can think of a few influential albums like Darkthrones A blaze in the northern sky, considered a classic in the black metal scene, which was a protest against over produced/refined popular music, but none have had such a profound effect on me like Black Sabbath's first release.

I guess its the rawness and flow of the performance, delivery of their message. I've always been drawn to the dark, not evil, but the mysteries of beyond death and our understanding of the spirit world. Blues music really comes from our inner most feelings, that touch of depression that effects us all, the soul. combined in the album I find both with the dark bluesy sound, like a light shining through the gloom.

Simple riffs that just seem to flow from within like the performers are simply the mediums or messengers, really give the listener time to process the message and not be overwhelmed with a barrage of sound, and think on it.
    It's a lot like how I feel when playing an instrument, just forget everything and let the music tell it's tale, as it tells you the performer where to go with it.

The guitar and bass both have their roles playing off each other and not copying / doubling the same riffs, each panned to their own side giving that stereo effect I've noticed in other albums of the era like Pink Floyd's atom heart mother. The drums don't just drone on with repetitive beats keeping time like a metronome, but seem to dance and be alive like the other instruments.

Ozzy has a very unique voice, beautifully flowing over the living music like the icing on the cake. The warning I find to be 20 minutes of pure bliss! When Toni gets going just releasing that pent up emotion.

Hey I just wrote my first album review ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath_(album)
    https://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Black-Sabbath/master/723

See the following thread for information on how this series of posts work and how to submit your own nomination.
    https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/191254/classic-albums-and-tracks-discussion-threads-idea

2. 2615019
    damonb : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

nice review couldn't agree with you more

3. 2615019

never got too see them live saw pink Floyd I saw ozzy with type-o-negative and henery rollins woulda liked seen sabath

4. 2615019

all tho not metal but nither is floy a noth band that did as speak about guitars was band yes I did get too see them

5. 2615019

ment nither is floyd

6. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I'm actually the nominater but I'm sure spivkurl doesn't mind. I don't usually play other's music on my guitar but this is one of just a couple albums I learned to play all the way through as a teenager. (One other was Metallica's Kill em all).I did not realize evil woman was done with ozzy as a b side, always thought that was from the Dio era.

7. 1
    Looperman : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Sorry, my bad, Ive updated that now :)

8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I take that as a sign that my nomination might be forthcoming in the near future! :)

I will take a listen through this album again soon, as it's been a long long time. Impressive about it being one 8 hour session. I miss when almost everything was recorded live/live in studio.

9. 1
    Looperman : Thu 31st Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

@spivkurl, go for it, we have one in the queue already so get yours sent in

10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 31st Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Ahhh, yes, I had forgotten. My browser crashed or something at the moment I sent my email to you about the album. I wondered if it made it through, seems as if it did not. I'll resend as soon as possible!

11. 2615019
    damonb : Thu 31st Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

if I like others music and I stumbal on the sound while fumbleing along on the strings I will do others music but only if I completely redo it and make it my own in away completely different but you can still sing the words too it and say hey that sounds like------

12. 2615019
    damonb : Thu 31st Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I have redone molly hatchet fall of the peace maker pixies my voluria stp creep bush glycerine ect

13. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Thu 31st Jan 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Exactly Damonb, I like to do it my way. It gets frustrating trying to make my fingers do exactly what the original artist did. I loved playing along with the album like I was a second guitarist with the band.

14. 2615019
    damonb : Fri 1st Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

yea me 2 and you cant sound exactlysame realy anway cause some axx man will cover extra stings in the same scale with same finger but the artist knows how much pressure to put down with that part of his finger less pressure will give a hermonic sound or different sound cobain used simple power chord but he used them the way I speak of

15. 2615019

what im trying too say is the feal you have on the guitar both finger board and strum makes you r sound yea the chords progressions are same but the way one delivers them is like a finger print in sound

16. 2615019

I wrote a song once called somthings never change there is a part that sounds neat and its important part of song and I hit it inbetween every strum my root finger in one part will cover say 5th string skip a finger next finger covers 4th string but every other strum the knuckle of that finger will put just enough pressure on the 3rd string it gives a chime sound if I don't get the pesure just right from my knuckle it be a bum note

17. 2615019

if I put to much pressure or not enough pressure from the knuckle while the tip of the finger is covering another string it wont make that distinctive sound that makes the verse

18. 2615019

also there is the timing of the release of it as well

19. 2615019

then a gain I never tried it with a pick I don't know how to use one I can only strum with my fingers wich also gives a difernnt sound

20. 2615019

in a nut shell what im trying to say is the artists technique is un replicable

21. 1231236
    joecramer : Fri 1st Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

I never heard this album before at least not all of it. But i have to say that it is a real cool one. I never was a metal head but i always loved older hard rock and rhythm and blues stuff. It's just a kind of hard rock i really can enjoy.
    Nice classic album!

22. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Sat 2nd Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Katz you beat me to the punch ! This was one of the first albums I thought of to submit. What more of an iconic album is there than the one that sets the precedence?

Some may disagree at recognizing them as the creators of Heavy Metal but few can dispute that on Friday the 13th, February 1970, 4 guys from Birmingham, England set the standard for all Heavy bands to come with the release of this album. Giving unholy birth to a musical style that would change the face of rock music forever and forming the band that to this day remains the gauge by which all Heavy Metal bands are judged. Man can you imagine what it was like for a radio station DJ to drop the needle on this thing back in 1970? Sure, the world was no stranger to heavy tunes. Bands like Zepplin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Cream, Humble Pie, Thin Lizzy, The Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult etc. had already bestowed some of their best offerings and hard rock was blazing a trail skyward. But Sabbath chose a different path. I mean how do you go from The Polka Tulk Blues Band to "Black Sabbath" ? Ha ha, amazing ! The first song "Black Sabbath" of course defined the bands direction and released things unto the world that had never been heard before. Every element of this song elicits deep disturbing imagery. Iommi's guitar melody is based on the tritone commonly known as the ‘diabolus in musica’ or the Devil's music. The tritone's notes are disproportional are particularly unnerving because the human brain is hardwired to find harmony and symmetry in sound and music. Music featuring the tritone was banned from churches because of its use during the dark ages in sacrificial rituals and its association with the devil. (more to come)

23. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Sat 2nd Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Oh yeah! I've been awaiting your response Neo :D I liked the reaction the record label had to Darkthrone's A blaze in the northern sky, are you serious, you're going to master this right? Nope, we'll just let Euronymous release it on his lab if you don't like it. I can imagine a similar response to Black Sabbath. As soon as saw this idea, without a doubt U had to nominate this album!

24. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Sat 2nd Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

Arrgh, predictive text on this damn phone... I had to nominate it, figured you would too.

25. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Sat 2nd Feb 2019 : 2 weeks ago

continued:

I always liked the story that inspired the title track. Prior to forming Black Sabbath, The guys were in a band called Earth. Butler had a brief obsession with the occult at the time and painted his apartment matte black, placed several inverted crucifixes about, and put some pics of Satan on the walls. You know, just asking for trouble. A short time later when Ozzy comes across an 18th century book on Magic and the Occult in a bookstore, he steals it and presents it to Butler in support of his new interest. The very night Butler began reading the book he placed it on a shelf beside his bed. He claims he awoke in the middle of the night to find a large black figure standing at the foot of his bed, staring at him. When the figure vanishes he ran to the shelf where he had placed the book earlier only to find the book was gone too. So he quickly gave up all interest in the occult but related this story to Ozzy, who after laughing his ass off, was inspired to write the lyrics to the song. In one take Ozzy delivers them with maniacal emotion. His cry of "Oh no, please God help me!" just before Iommi, Butler and Ward launch into their final sonic assault on the track is considered by most (myself included) to be disturbing and genuinely scary. I admit listening to this album while knowing all the hype, I was still uncomfortable. And yet I couldn't turn away. (hmm) Fortunately I didn't become obsessed with the occult, I became obsessed with Black Sabbath ! (Oh no....please God help me!)

Posts 1 - 25 of 30

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads