CAOTD 001 - Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 1
    Looperman : Thu 24th Jan 2019 : 8 months ago

Classic Album Of The Day
    Episode 1 - Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon

Thursday Afternoon is the eleventh solo studio album by British ambient musician Brian Eno consisting of one 60-minute eponymous composition. It is the rearranged soundtrack to an 80-minute video production of the same title made in 1984.

At just one track lasting 60 minutes, the music is ambient: beatless, flowing and ethereal.[5] Remixing and rearranging from the soundtrack to suit the CD media, Eno stated: "...the music wasn't recorded digitally. It was recorded on a 24-track analogue machine, and then digitally mastered."[6]

An acoustic piano plays a series of notes and simple chords against a background of synths, which eventually dominate the entire soundscape. Though the composition sounds "static", in the sense that its length makes it seem like a solid "lump" of sound, it features many unstable elements that change in both timbre and volume over its entirety

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thursday_Afternoon
    https://www.discogs.com/master/32621
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088266/

See the following thread for information on how this series of posts work and how to submit your own nomination.
    https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/191254/classic-albums-and-tracks-discussion-threads-idea

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 27th Jan 2019 : 8 months ago

Finally getting some time to give this a listen, though I doubt I will get enough moments to actually hear it all the way through.

I will preface this by saying that I am a long time devotee to Brian Eno, however this ambient thread and era does not represent my "go-to" Eno works.

This composition and recording does indeed showcase some of Brian's strong talents. Sometimes the moments seem like a monophonic contrapuntal composition, if that even makes sense. I suppose if one can not hear the second part, and it only existed in the mind of the composer, then it makes some sense.

One reason I prefer other types of Eno projects, is the simple matter of what the addition of complex rhythms and layered instruments can add to his already amazing audio ideations. Works such as "Nerve Net" and Eno's work with Jon Cale ie "wrong Way Up" demonstrate some of the large difference.

Having this be a single song is definitely a large difference in my impression, and it is an unusual thing to do.

Albums like "Another Green World" touch on ambient moments such as this, yet they are short and to the point... much in the same way that the beautiful pop music oriented songs are to the point.

I can appreciate the artistry here, which Eno can not escape. I can also appreciate why I have never gravitated toward these sorts of ambient works.

Thank you for chosing this one Shan!

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 28th Jan 2019 : 8 months ago

Big Eno fan here!..Music for Airports is one of my favs, along with Music for Films, Before and after Science...I've still got it, damn no I don't I gave all my vinyl to my nephew! lol

4. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Tue 29th Jan 2019 : 8 months ago

Truthfully I never much got into Brian Eno. Had several school chums back in the day that were big fans. Most of them were either the geeky intellectuals or the artsy designer drug perma-fried types. Not really my scene. Unfortunately I pretty much regarded his music as being too far out for me. In retrospect I think I simply lacked the understanding and appreciation necessary to embrace it. You definitely have to be in the right mood and have a considerable amount of patience to listen to this kind of music. I think its very much an acquired taste.

5. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 8 months ago

continued: I decided to do a little research on Eno and ended up listening to more of his music. I had no idea on the extent of his career. Incredible body of work not only as a musician producing his own music but also being active in other artistic fields. Such as producing, co-producing and collaborating with many other notable artists. Writing music scores for video games, creating the music intro for Microsoft Windows PC software, working with conventional and digital art, working in video, and the list goes on. Quite an amazing guy.

6. 1002476
    steelyvibe : Sun 3rd Feb 2019 : 8 months ago

I am a big fan of Thursday Afternoon, but have only listened to the whole thing in one go, once. The background sounds were probably put together in the same way as 'Discreet Music', by using two reel to reel tape recorders with a long tape loop. The piano part is more intriguing. I think it may be two piano parts, that were played separately and then slowed to half speed. With analogue that would mean the pitch would have been lowered, so the original part (s) would have been played on the very top notes of the piano.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads