It seems that some users are having issues with their IP being blocked for no reason.
The issue should now be resolved.

Looking To Upgrade My Midi Keyboard Need Recommendations

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 2652826
    TheFemiFactor : Tue 8th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

Hey ya'll what's up,

I am looking to get a midi keyboard soon and I would like to use it for beats, sampling etc.

I would like something with good keys that feels like a good piano and something with responsive pads.

So far, I have had the M Audio Oxygen 49-MKIV before, I didn't like the keys cause they felt kinda plastic and the pads weren't that responsive when I used them.

I currently have the M Audio KeyRig 49 and I like the keys much better but it doesn't have the pad.

SOOOOOO, what midi keyboards are you guys (and girls) using out there, and if you could recommend one, which would it be?

Let us say hypothetically there is no budget, but we can keep it closer to the triple digit range.

Thanks.

2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 8th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

You'd be better off buying a dedicated piece of equipment for each thing you're trying to do, if you have the money to do it.

YAMAHA MX88 - $999 (Sweetwater has a 24 month payment plan if you dont want to fork it over all at once)

While the MX88 is a whole lot more than just a MIDI controller (a ton of built-in sounds and SUPER lightweight), it has the BEST weighted action I've ever felt in an electronic keyboard, even going as far as replicating the hammer movement, having slightly lighter weight on the higher keys and slightly heavier weight on the lower keys - just like a real piano. I've played a ton of electronic keyboards and NONE ever outdid this keyboard in feel and playability. The sounds are pretty solid too, definitely worth your consideration.

NOVATION LAUNCHPAD - $149

While I do have less experience with MIDI pads, the Novation LaunchPad has been a name that has popped up in conversations everywhere that electronic music is discussed. It is very popular thanks to 64 assignable keys (that can be custom-lit for different sounds), USB power (I personally can appreciate this), and light weight for making music on-the-go. I'd definitely check this one out!

Hope this helps you!

- Brado Sanz

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 8th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

Are you looking for a portable unit or will it be a studio only rig, there are obviously many midi keyboards out there at the moment with a lot specifically DAW dedicated, the drawback is none can really duplicate a truly weighted piano action which leads into the question of why not invest in a proper weighted keyboard in the first place if the feel or action is important to you, if it has midi in, out and through it can be an excellent controller keyboard as you don't really need pads, all keys can be assigned these days to most functionality within a DAW, I use a 1984 Yamaha KX88 which I bought for under $300 about a decade ago and it has a reputation as the best weighted keyboard action ever made for a midi controller, this is just an example as there's heaps of Yamaha, Korg and Roland etc weighted keyboards out there going for a song second hand, pros are their usually 76 or in the 88 key range and may very well have their own internal voices, cons are their usually very heavy compared to contemporary midi controllers and don't have trigger pads.

4. 2864554
    Kirstin : Wed 9th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

I have 3 that I use. I have a M-audio Keystation 88 I use daily in my studio. Then i have 2 smaller ones that I use when I am traveling. Something like my Oxygen 25 or my Oxygen 8 both older but they work great and you can find them used for cheap.

5. 2652826
    TheFemiFactor : Wed 9th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

Okay, so far I'm contemplating the idea of a dedicated keyboard and Midi pad.

I wonder what the difference between the M Audio Hammer 88 and the Keystation 88, is it just the feel of the keys?

6. 2864554
    Kirstin : Fri 11th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

You know i'll keep it real with you I really am not sure. I dont play piano other then using it to create samples for my music.Sorry wish I could tell u more.

7. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 11th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

Hi OP,

May I suggest that you visit your nearest Guitar Center store (or any other store in your area) and check out a variety of keyboards?

I say that because the touch and action on keys tend to be different for each individual, so I know what you mean when you say "feels plastic."

I don't know what your budget is like, but weighted will cost more, however if you just gotta have it, then think of the extra cost as an investment.

Anywhooo, in addition to the feel, its also the sampled sounds. Do you want more organic/acoustic, or you don't mind either way?

I loved the sound that a looperman named Baroza was uploading, so I asked what keyboard he was using.

For the keyboards you mentioned, I've included the Youtube videos that can give you a good idea on the pros and cons of both:

M Audio Keystation 88 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYLuMnOaaA

Here's one on the M-audio Keystation 88 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcepxXXoRvE

I wish you all the best.

8. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 11th Jan 2019 : 5 months ago

That second link is for the M Audio Hammer 88. Sorry for the typo.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads