Why Is The Key Not Required

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 2502451
    DameEin : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

This is the most annoying thing on the planet. I'd honestly rather know the key than the tempo. If the loop isn't in the drums category, key should be required. I can convert a loop from Bb to C or something. But I can't do that if I don't know the loops original key. It wouldn't be all that infuriating if 99% of people actually wrote the key. But it's about 99% don't. Isn't key and scale basic music theory that anyone should know if they want to upload on this website?

Also, when I got loop privileges, I guess I instantly got privileges to the forum. Nice. So yeah, this is my first post. I probably put it in the wrong spot or something.

2. 1856648
    BillionaireExclusive : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

I completely agree with this as its been aggravating me for years. Looperman should really make that a requirement otherwise it makes using the loops without a key a lot harder. Pretty crazy how so many people don't include that in their uploads.

3. 1547231
    Lek : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

I don't use the loops from here but I do use the acapellas and the same thing applies really. So though what I'm about to say is from an acapella viewpoint, I think it applies to both loops and acapellas...

I agree that having the key can be helpful but I don't think making it compulsory will help much. The bpm is required but a lot of people just put 120 so if you make the key compulsory a lot of people will just put anything in just to complete the form.

To be honest, I can usually work out the key pretty quickly. Same really for tempo though you do get some acapellas where the timing is a bit all over the place so that makes it tricky - they normally become unusable but that's quite a small percentage of the acapellas on here really. You won't have that problem with loops at least, not unless someone is being particularly cruel!

4. 2502451
    DameEin : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

I use acapellas all the time. I don't know why I didn't mention those too. But anyway, usually people who don't know the tempo will say it directly in the description. I feel like there needs to be an unknown option for both or neither. It has to be one or the other.
    It could be possible these people don't even know what a scale is and don't have it in key, so it would be a learning point to force them to tell you what key it is.

5. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

Forcing a key is a losing battle because they will just put anything in there. Instead I have suggested the following a couple times: Add a field to allow others to assign a key to someone else's loops if they don't assign a key. Then compute the most voted for key which can also be used for searching for loops by key.

6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 24th Dec 2018 : 10 months ago

A couple issues will complicate this, as I see it.

First, a lot of people making loops or music in general do not know any music theory. Often they do not care to learn. There is nothing strictly wrong with this, as music is a creative art rather than a strict code. Playing or sequencing what "just sounds good" is important to music, as is theory.

Second, not all instrumental loops would fit into a scale oriented key. Chord progressions do not necessarily stay within a defined scale, unless we want to label all of them as chromatic. ;) In a similar way, a melody or harmony can freely change key within a short phrase. A loop with a single or even several chords could be used in various ways by composing in various keys along with it.

A possible third issue is non standard tuning, when a standard key (such as C major or whatever) would not help the end user. Examples would be microtuned phrases, instruments which are not using equal temperament, fretless/ribbon/theremin sort of instruments which allow continuous diversion from standard "notes", and even ring modulated synth phrases which output the sum and difference of two signals (try getting true ring mod tones to be in a traditional key, I dare you!)

Requiring keys probably won't make things much better, but it should be encouraged to note a key/chords/tuning in the title or description, if it is known.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads