Do You Feel Guilty When Using Loops

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 2965160
    lrayj : Sun 9th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

I recently gotten into mixing and producing. Just wanted to know everyones thoughts about the topic, do you guys sometimes feel guilty when using samples? Sometimes I feel like I should make the whole beat from scratch and feel like if I use a loop then I'm not creative. But tell me your thoughts, I'm open to change my mind.

:)

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 9th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

To me, samples and loops are just another instrument. Using them in a manner which is true to your vision is key, just like any other instrument.

Personally, I feel more guilt about doing a song completely on the computer! I've recently started using an MPC 4000, to encourage more use of my hardware instruments and effects. What would an MPC be without samples and loops? Little more than a glorified MIDI sequencer. Of course you can record your own samples... but aside from a few bad apples, the loops here on the site are legal and creatively designed.

Just keep your original thoughts and experiences in mind while composing your music, and you will likely turn out something fresh, even when using loops.

3. 1790928
    niggabiotch321 : Sun 9th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

It's a hard subject to get right, if i come across 3 loops that are killer and just work perfect together it would be a crime to not use them, if i use loops on all tracks lazy and not learning then it's a crime.

Chopping up loops is cool its only like using stabs etc, i don't play the guitar so where do i get it from ? "learn u lazy shit!" i hear some say, but there's millions of professional guitarists (which i'm not) who are letting us use (or rather colab in a special way) them freely, if you use loops you should defo credit the producer if not invite them into the track in the hope to make the million dollar track.

where's the crime ? laziness that's where, if you tried to learn but failed feel free to use i say, but crediting and actually saying in a bio "not good, no midi, all loops" you might get credit for being honest.

To answer your topic Q no i don't feel guilty for using all loops as i explained above i don't go out intentionally to do it and credit the producers well anyways.

Loop communities are a must for the evolution of music .. just don't abuse.

4. 1790928
    niggabiotch321 : Sun 9th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

you can get apps these days for piano and guitar lessons anyways, so there's no excuses for learning shit .. just adding :/

5. 2355847
    iamarty : Sun 9th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

i mean, in a sense i feel guilty. but just because you use loops doesnt mean that you should.

you can feel creativity from anywhere. no matter the source. if you feel like you can make something with a loop that you couldnt do otherwise, go straight ahead.

the only thing that people should feel guilty about is when they dont give the creator proper credit. that is when you should feel guilty.

the question is a little vague because it makes it sound like producers who use loops arent "producers". just because someone uses loops to express their creativity doesnt mean that they arent a producer or should feel guilty.

6. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 10th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

I don't use loops, though I do make them (on occasion) the bottom line here is how you relate to your music and what level your prepared to strive for, eventually if your serious about music it needs to be become self created as much as possible however this doesn't mean using loops is a bad thing, but everyone who gets on the musical bandwagon so to speak starts hearing or visualising music in their head at some stage, the trick is to be able to transpose that into the real world and manipulate it into your own creations so inevitably this means learning an instrument, there's no getting around this fact.

7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 10th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

Really, I would feel more guilt (or remorse) if I found a great loop, and then spent hours trying to make a pale version of it - rather than just using it.

8. 1115991
    Unknown User : Mon 10th Dec 2018 : 7 months ago

Hm.. good question. It leads me to many more.

I don't feel the need to feel guilty. Seldom I tend to use the loops I download here. I think it is good to have them, and I like to hear them as they are, too. And if they find use in a piece: I would note it and credit the creator, naturaly. Besides I utilize Creative Commons and just simply like to give my stuff to the crowd freely. Besides I just prefer to make my own loops and instrumentals for songs 'n such. Since I only have productions for my own to express, I will have them as real as It can be. To stay true to my sound. May sound weird, but that's my thought of feeling guilty. Maybe I should feel guilty cause of being too excentric, seperate and distinct *g ...

Furthermore it's just a download, bits and bytes. Not long ago I thought that it may be a little shame, that no one knows who made 'that particular element' in a successful song which runs up and down the radio playlist...
    Yet I know who did it. That maybe be another Looper for which I would feel respect for. That's life's payment. Good vibes. And that gives me much satisfaction.
    Also I recall the pirate scene of the 80's: it's just data that should cost nothing but dedication and passion. It also could help some to grow in experience, what is the most precious we could share aside inspiration. Sharing like on Julklapp *g (like Secret Santa). Maybe I see the whole topic to romantic. Then please call me a fool.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads