How Long Do You Take To Write A Track

Posts 26 - 38 of 38
  1. 2384795
    LysanderDaBest : Tue 8th Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

Usually takes less than a week for me. Depends on genre obviously! Dubstep takes a shorter time than when I make orchestral bs, theme songs, etc...

2. 2652826
    TheFemiFactor : Wed 9th Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

As with alot of questions in life, the answer is it depends.

Especially by genre, with some rap songs the beats are melodic enough to freestyle an entire song worthy session in 15-20 minutes.

It also depends on how you go about the process, I've come up with just the hook for a song, then take days to come up with lyrics then having to create the instrumental around that could take a while.

So imo it depends on what the deadline for the song is and what the audience is (ie just a demo vs a project that will be released) etc.

3. 2607556
    DaMastarXD : Fri 18th Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

Not like I wanna sound professional? Or good? But it takes me a month to finish a song :/
    I really wish I could finish a song in a day as well LOL

4. 372886
    Bilbozo : Tue 22nd Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

If I already have the inspiration and most of the elements pre-thought out, 3-4 days is usually what it takes for me. I try to do a song in two weekends. Composition and recording the first weekend. Polishing and mastering on the second weekend. I have shelved many projects for years and come back to them but I don't consider that a stewing process where that time is included. I usually have to be re-inspired with other new fresh thoughts and ideas. Maybe they are just cryogenically frozen until my mind thaws them back out !

5. 1293607
    Venuslove : Tue 22nd Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

Go with the flow, unlesss you have pressure to write it on the spot, ok. Believe me I've found pieces of text from 10 years ago that I re-wrote to sound hip and it came out good. It's your call.

6. 1581687
    2nick8 : Wed 23rd Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

Usually when im shitting... so probably abt 15 to 20mins..

7. 1250729
    Paganini : Wed 30th Jan 2019 : 1 year ago

It depends on the genre, and most importantly, on the idea; how complex the idea is and how complex it is to make it real.

It also depends on the producer. There's no real benchmark on how much time you need to spend on a track for it to be good. Some can make a track that is absurdly complex and detailed in less than a day. Others can spend a week and completely scrap the project.

Personally? I don't really produce tracks, I compose and make loops. It takes me about 2 to 3 hours to lay down an idea. Then from 3 to 5 hours to mix it and make it sound just perfect for me.

8. 3403798
    SpillageVillage : Fri 29th Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

It usually takes me about 20 hours to compose an acceptable track. Mixing is another thing. Sometimes my mixing changes with what mood I'm in, and I'll change it up because if upset and I hear something wrong. Then I'd come back later realizing it wasn't wrong! I spend HOURS upon HOURS trying to get that sound back.

But since most of my beats are just normal soundcloud "type beats" and not that complex, it takes 20 minutes composing and 5 mastering.

9. 2367462
    YungSedi : Sat 30th Nov 2019 : 2 months ago

It took me a week to write this one
    https://soundcloud.com/lesedi-mapoulo/call-me

10. 3541363
    Quantumhead1 : Mon 2nd Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

This last one took me about 4 days give or take. I have a weird process for it. First I sit down for a couple of days and spam out a bunch of material/loops to use, then I might take a break for another day or two, then I go back and make a track out of everything I've saved. I find this works a lot better for me because once I have the material to work with then making the track becomes a lot easier than it would be if I just sat there waiting for inspiration.

11. 1487757
    lafftar : Thu 5th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

My best beats flow out easy, like 15 - 20 minutes, no lie

12. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 15th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

Until it's finished when I am my own client.
    By deadline when it is work for another client.
    Time is a resource for me, not a qualifier. Sometimes I'm very efficient. Sometimes I'm just in couchlock mode enjoying the process.
    -In the end I try to remember that usually someone else will only spend a few minutes listening to the final track. -Sobering realization. :D...

13. 3624977
    harmonie : Wed 18th Dec 2019 : 2 months ago

I find that a fresh immediate response is often better than the carefully studied responses, so the "raw stuff" in a track comes out fast. In less than an hour. But it could be endlessly polished and evolved...for eternity...
    Since I'm not a pro musician, I never have to make an official final version of anything! So I just "share" when I get tired of working on it.

Posts 26 - 38 of 38

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads