What Is A Good Audio Software

Posts 1 - 16 of 16
  1. 2576548
    rida4 : Sat 1st Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Hello fellow Looperman users
    I have used FL Studio for a while now. I'd say about 3 years. And It feels like it's limiting my imagination and skills.
    I am hoping that you guys and girls can reccomend me a software that has more options aka is harder etc.
    Which software is the best?

2. 2122646
    ksdq : Sat 1st Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

ableton.

3. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

All the DAW's do the same thing, its the workflow that is different, I recommend you download some trial/demo versions of the different DAW's and see what you like. I personally own and have used Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, and FL Studio. I like Reaper the best because of the price, the ease of recording analog signals (guitar and vocals), and how easy it is to customize. I like FL Studio for the ease working with MIDI. So I use both, it works for what I do.

4. 1223101
    topclass : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Acid Music Studio, Magix :D

I could never get the hang of FL Studio, too complicating

5. 2234957
    varshious : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

While FL Studio is my favorite, Ableton is the industry standard no matter how much others may argue.

6. 1223101
    topclass : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

the funny thing is someone might like to use Ableton and another person might call it a load of shite

as for FL Studio I couldn't get to use it properly so it's not a fav for me and so for now and for sometime actually I've used things like Magix and also Acid Music Studio

but whatever works best for you and works well without too many limitations then I'd say use whatever that is for you

7. 1127123
    Arhum : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Don’t know in what world Ableton is an industry standard. If you’ll tell me EDM, I’ll tell you that you’re wrong. There is no standard there in this day and age. Everyone has individual setups at home/on the road now and shares wav files when collaborating. Nobody shares project files (need to make sure collaborator has that same DAW, uses the same third party plugins as you, isn’t too ahead/behind in software updates, etc)...

It’s not like it is in the commercial studio and post production world, where Pro Tools HD/HDX (or Ultimate as Avid stupidly calls it now) rein king...

Now to get back on topic, what are you looking for? If you’re looking for something with more tools for spontaneity stuff, Ableton with its session view and capture MIDI feature could fit the bill. If you’re looking for something extremely robust/technical in the MIDI editing department, Cubase will work. If you want to really get into the audio side of things, try Pro Tools or Reaper (check out Matt Lange’s workflow for electronic music production using Pro Tools if you get a chance).

So yeah, do what others have said. Demo everything you can... See what vibes with you and what doesnt... Just do yourself and take a moment to read the manual plus figure out basic mouse/keyboard shortcuts (making new track, opening mixer and editor, creating empty regions/clips, etc) while demoing new DAWs... it’ll make the 30 days a lot less painful...

=)

8. 1127123
    Arhum : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

*just do yourself a favor...

9. 2255594
    slava72 : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

i use "Ableton standart 9",didnt upgrate to vers.10(dont see any point)-it is very user friendly,versitile,simple-highly recomend to download demo version to see if you like it or not

10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

I've been using FL primarily since it was Fruity Loops, right around y2k. When I got involved in beta testing, and using the releases of v12, I became very frustrated. I demoed a bunch of other recent versions of DAWs, both new players and ones that I had used in the past. Even after this, I couldn't find anything more user friendly in the software world.

Finally, I decided to get an Akai MPC 4000 to encourage my separation from my PC. Grabbed a second modular synthesizer, as well as decent four track and two track cassette recording decks. It's been a refreshing break from modern software, where content, graphic flare, and "bells and whistles" seem to be more important than functionality.

With the release of FL v20, there seems to be some actually impressive changes being made, apparently with more to come. So, with my studio being moved to a larger space, I have devoted work areas for both strictly hardware to tape recording, as well as my standard PC/MIDI setup.

One thing which I would take with a grain of salt is this statement - "I like FL Studio for the ease working with MIDI." Even Image Line developers will admit that MIDI has never been a focus of FL. The original creator, Gol, apparently disliked MIDI.

FL has many functional issues with MIDI still. Just a few I can think of; Pitch bend and mod wheel must be manually assigned, no matter the controller and instrument you are using. Program change messages switch channels in the rack as opposed to switching programs within the channel. Default notes are two octaves of from their "usual" placement in MIDI instruments. Sysex implementation is not present.

It does seem like you use no MIDI instruments though, so this may not be a big deal. In this case I recommend trying out v20 before dropping FL. The latest release candidate has major improvements in CPU load, as well as some other good features. Just be sure not to end up with "fruity edition" since it does not allow audio recording/clips.

11. 2576548
    rida4 : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Thank you everybody for your time to answer to me.
    I took a quick look at some of your reccomendations,

Ableton looks promising, I will try out the demo.
    Cubase is going to be my second option if Ableton fails to impress me which I doubt.

Peace

12. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Well one more opinion: "What Is A Good Audio Software?" That seems like it could mean almost anything. I mean Windows Media Player is an audio software in the general framework of your thread title. But I see the discussion is about DAW's. People tend to be biased or otherwise partial and in favor of what they are using. You often hear them say "I tried everything out there!" They final settle on something because it matches their workflow and ease of use work parameters. The fact is, all major DAW's are good audio software programs. But to recommend a great DAW I would need to know a lot more details about your requirements. A great DAW will do exactly what you need it to do. When a DAW matches your specific requirements it is Great, for you personally, but really it is no better than any of the other major DAW's out here. For instance, some say the Piano Scroll editor in Acid Pro is weak. Now, what if that mattered to you as one of your requirements? How would I have known that? Magix Music Maker comes with a huge bundle of loop content, what if that matter to you? I am sure I could write at least a hundred more different conditions and requirements that you could say yeah or nay to. But not knowing how you work and what is important to you is a feeble crap shoot at finding what is best suited for you. So what tends to happen more times than not is, people tend to give you their very biased opinions.

My point is, it would be like saying what's the best car out there. Some Americans will only buy American branded cars. What if you liked a Lexus? What if I recommended truck when you wanted a car or a hybrid and so on. After using countless DAW's myself I have come to the conclusion that a DAW is only as good as the person commanding it. A HIGHLY skilled and educated music producer using Acid Pro can blow circles around a rookie using Pro Tools anytime. We rely too heavily on the DAW with its wizards and so called Mastering presets to do all the work for us rather than learning what a compressor is, or understand what high pass and low pass filters do for example. We don't want to learn what quantization is but yet we find our beats slightly off from the first beat measure.

Knowledge and education is where the real power is to tap into your DAW's ability, power, potential and function. The fact remains that music production has become so pervasive in normal society that everyone with a DAW now calls themself a music producer to the repugnance of legitimate music producers all over the world such as the late great George Martin, best know as the music producer of the Beatles. He was great music producer. So what's the best DAW out there? I would say first learn and educate yourself on the concepts and principles behind music production and then you can make a better informed choice. Once you do that you may very well switch what you are using now.

13. 2576548
    rida4 : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

JosephFunk, Exactly, you have a very good point.
    I was asking people for reccomendations so I could see and try those programs for myself.
    I think my and your idea got lost in my poor questioning and choosing of words, AGREED.
    And hold up, I need to educate myself on music production?
    Point for me because I am actually on my second year in school on that.
    And I know very well that these beatmakers call themselves producers, it really grinds my gears too.
    I work my ass off and learn because in 2 years I want to graduate.
    But back on track, I appreciate your opinion and I agree on it and had same idea in mind.

14. 2371546
    Sunbeats : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Stick with FL and get better using it. Jumping from one DAW to another doesn't guarantee a better music production.

15. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Spiv, by the ease of using MIDI in FL, I meant how easy it is to quickly lay down a quick idea with your mouse not the more in depth part as you mentioned. Compared to other daw's I think it is easier. You are 100% correct on what you mentioned.

16. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 2nd Sep 2018 : 1 year ago

Ah, I see, you meant the piano roll. At least that is what I gather. I agree, that is one of the best parts of FL. With the pattern picker and multiple arrangements, the playlist has seen some increase in function.

Posts 1 - 16 of 16

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads