What Is The Best Way To Release My Music

Posts 1 - 18 of 18
  1. 1223101
    topclass : Wed 22nd Aug 2018 : 3 years ago

hi i'm a producer and I've always produced music as a pastime hobby for many many years but I was thinking maybe I could release something and I was just thinking, what is the best way to release your music?

I've seen things like CD Baby etc but I was researching the other day and saw some good and some really unpleasant reviews on that

so any advices or what you may have used in the past or now would be appreciated
    and what did you use and what successes did you have?

I just want to get a feel and some ideas

2. 2518986
    djlili : Wed 22nd Aug 2018 : 3 years ago

tunecore or distrokid

3. 1223101
    topclass : Wed 22nd Aug 2018 : 3 years ago

cheers :D
    from the 2 you mentioned I'd say from first looks that tunecore is looking good I think

4. 2643700
    BaoBou : Wed 22nd Aug 2018 : 3 years ago

Tunecore needs some investment though:

MUSIC DISTRIBUTION
    Album Distribution $29.99 $49.99 each following year
    Single Distribution $9.99 $9.99 each following year
    Ringtone Distribution $19.99 $19.99 each following year
    Collectallyour songwriting royalties. $75.00 Pay a low one-time fee

Etc.

How about Bandcamp?

5. 2259032
    bennycauthen : Sat 15th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

i use Distrokid, and i think it's the best.
    it's only $20 a year for 1 artist to upload unlimited songs. They give you INSTANT acces to Spotify For Artists, which i was very happy about, and it's extremely simple to upload your music. There's lots of other good things about it but i'm not going to list all of it because you should really look it up for yourself.

I would like to point out though that Tunecore and CD Baby were the other 2 sites mentioned here besides Distrokid. The founders of BOTH of those websites have praised Distrokid and if they think it's so great, it's probably the best.

"DistroKid is simply the best distributor in the market."
    - Jeff Price, Founder of TuneCore

"This is amazing. I'll be sending everyone I know to DistroKid now."
    - Derek Sivers, Founder of CD Baby

6. 1223101
    topclass : Sat 15th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

as a business mindset, i'd say it wasn't in their best interests to say things like that and send them over to another company because then that's lost revenue

if you had a business would you really be sending your customers elsewhere??? that doesn't add up to me

i've not heard of DistroKid but i'll look into it and thanks

7. 2198630
    VadVid : Sat 15th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

distrokd is really good, but there is a place where you can disrtibute your music for free, to all music stores. Its called Routenote, and its just a free alternatve that does the same thing as distrokid.
    The only downside is routenote takes longer to get music on stores, than distro kid does. distrokid is actually the fastest distributor and can get music on stores within 2-3 days, while most other sites can take up to 4 weeks. :/

8. 2371546
    Sunbeats : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

How about http://stem.is? Has anyone here used it? I just started using it recently.

Pros: It is free to join, no monthly or yearly fee and it distributes to all online popular music streaming stores. Issues free ISRC.

Cons: Takes 5% from each sale. Takes a week to get music on stores. Updates data reports once a month.

Those are the things I could remember now. Check the site to get more info.

9. 2259032
    bennycauthen : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

I used to use RouteNote, and it's ok, but Distrokid is better, even if it's $20 more than RouteNote.

10. 1223101
    topclass : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

Well i clearly would rather pay more if i thought i was getting a better deal/service etc

11. 2674858
    MrMeowMusic : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

I use routenote.com and i've found a way around the 1 month delay so i think its not bad for a free service

12. 1223101
    topclass : Mon 17th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

oh i actually forgot about the following http://zimbalam.com/

anyone tried these?

13. 688110
    novaspace : Mon 17th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

routenote is nice but that website is slow as fuck.

with our own company we are using for our dance releases mainly Dance all day (feiyr) and Labelworx. (has beatport support)

for our latin releases we are currently trying out another platform called OneRPM which is focused more on latin america.

14. 883656
    NoellaRose : Tue 18th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

By the way, Jeff Price was ousted out of TuneCore and Derek Sivers sold CD Baby, so it's not necessarily bad business to say whatever they want.

15. 2259032
    bennycauthen : Wed 19th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

...which means that Distrokid really is great.

16. 1223101
    topclass : Wed 19th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

hadn't realised about the selling off of CD baby and that with tunecore either so with that maybe Distrokid is the way forwards then? or would it make sense to use more than 1? maybe not lol

17. 2259032
    bennycauthen : Wed 19th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

..probably better to use just one.

18. 1223101
    topclass : Wed 19th Sep 2018 : 3 years ago

yes probably wouldn't want to over complicate things, but finding the best one to use is important though

Posts 1 - 18 of 18

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.