From Demo To Master - FREE 8 Part Mixing And Production Course By Waves

Should I Give Up Trying To Make Music

Posts 1 - 22 of 22
  1. 158267
    Symmetric : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

I've been making, or more accurately, trying to make good music for the past 8 years or so and....I haven't gotten anywhere with it and so I feel as though I should....give up.

People have always asked me "What do you want to do with your life?"....most people want a career as a police officer, fireman, nurse, teacher or maybe a lawyer the list goes on. I told them that I would love to become a professional music producer one day or even a ghost producer and I've always gotten the same response...."C'mon, be realistic, what do you really want to do?"

I drive to work everyday humming and whistling beats or melodies....although, getting what I'm playing in my mind and putting onto the DAW is tough lol. Music making has always been my No.1 hobby and also a temporary relief from the stresses of everyday life.

There's a part of me that just wants to re-install FL Studio and all my Nexus expansions and start getting creative again....but should I????

Has anyone else here felt the same way? Have you ever been close to giving up or have indeed given it up because you felt it just wasn't worth it?

I understand it is very difficult to get a career in music as it is very competitive and you have to have something unique, something different to everyone else.

2. 2259032
    bennycauthen : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

hey Symmetric, I've felt the same way at times, but my advice is don't give up. I definitely think u should re-install FL Studio and anything else u have, and keep trying! if ur having a hard time with the particular genre, try something that sounds different! if ur having a hard time with getting the melodies from ur head into the computer, maybe try doing it a different way. i also am trying to produce, and it is hard, but that doesn't mean u should give up.

3. 2595940
    SoberBaker : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

I agree with benny. I get frustrated very easily and contemplate giving up often, but I believe the number one rule to accomplishing anything is to never give up. There's people who have been working at their craft for years before they eventually get their recognition for it. Stay strong brother. https://twitter.com/BrownsvilleKa/status/811680304909914113

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

My advice, for what it's worth...

Forget about making money from music, at least for the time being.

If you do not have a microphone, get one. Then you can record the humming and whistling. It will be the most real and direct way to grasp those ideas, then you can compose around them.

"I understand it is very difficult to get a career in music as it is very competitive and you have to have something unique, something different to everyone else."

The first part of this statement is most likely true, while the second part is very much wrong. On the rare instances where I listen to pop music/top forty or whatever, I end up hearing many songs which I think are one thing, but they are a complete other. SO MANY songs and artists sound almost identical, and yet become rich and famous.

People, especially artists, value their feeling that they are different from everyone else. Sometimes, it is just not a very realistic feeling. If someone is not in fact different from everyone else, what choice is there except to embrace that? When a whole generation of musicians decides that they are going to go out of their way to be different from everyone else, then where does it get them? They are again all the same, just in a new way... They are the same from the simple fact of trying so hard to be different.

5. 2039585
    BAMF : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

Hey! I know it's hard to be noticed in the music industry. So this is my advice, do it like me, make music as a hobby. When you get bored just make some music and forget about the listeners and follows and all that. Make it to have fun, with fun you can succeed, hope I helped a bit. Take care and wish you the best.

6. 841435
    ValveDriver : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

Here's the deal, man. If you dig making music, then make music. Don't do it to get rich and famous. Do it because you love it. I mean, really, it's not up to us to decide whether or not you should give it up. That's all you, brother.

7. 2654697
    Oldrockandroller : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

I don't think any artist started out knowing for sure if their talent was going to be a huge success and make them famous. They just loved music and making it. Don't try so hard; just have fun. And set your goal of making money in music aside. If it's meant to be, it will be so.
    I agree with ValveDriver's comments totally.

8. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

Maybe this actual artist can give you some inspiration.
    Her name was Elizabeth Cotton.
    She won a Grammy (best ethnic/traditional recording) in her 80s, after giving up playing guitar for 25 years.

Bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Cotten

9. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

Sorry, her last name is spelled "Cotten" and she won a Grammy when she was in her 90s.

10. 1962250
    eggs0ntoast : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

dont give up bro, just make what and how you feel from samples youk like the sound of dont worry about genre or labels like "song" or "soundscape" i generally go through my library clicking samples at random and if i like 1 i drag it into the work area and after i got bunches on the screen i just do stuff lol and if it work out cool if not it just mean the technique to identify them into a group has not came across you path at the time.. be an individual not "an individual just like everyone else" good luck bro..

11. 2491859
    kofial : Fri 6th Jul 2018 : 8 months ago

never give up. Check out my new beat https://soundcloud.com/kofi_al/lil-mosey-type-beat-06072018-1958

12. 796294
    silverman : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

I don't give up I dry up.
    I only do this as a hobby though so put myself under no pressure whatsoever.
    I use a lot of loops and make some of my own.
    There is no way I could play any of it live with my limited abilitities on guitar and keyboard.
    What the hell I do it because I'm addicted to doing it.
    I'm fortunate in one way .... I'm a pensioner so don't have or need a job.
    I have lots of time on my hands.
    I just bought a minibus to convert to a camper so I can go bumbing around but guess what ... I'll have a laptop a keyboard and most of the time an internet connection.
    I'm good.

13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

Oh Silverman, a minibus camper! Sounds like blast. I'm a bit jealous!

14. 1223101
    topclass : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

i think music can be a bit like trying for a baby, you don't give up just because many attemps at getting your wife gf etc pregnant after the 50th time and more and then one day kaboom!! so i'm saying the minute you give up is the day you would've been a success, don't listen to useless fucks or say oh get serious man and c'mon and what else etc because we all have the right to dream and dreams can come true, where do we think many of the artists who started out and where they are at now if they gave up so my simple answer is no don't give up and my second answer is enjoy what you do and keep going

i for one have been doing music for ages and i never really thought about doing it professionally and i just have fun, and my musical knowledge is just about as good as a squirrel trying to become president lol but i try my best and try to keep learning

but i wish you sincerely all the best and very much try and be different, even if it sounds weird, i think there's always an audience somewhere to build from for sure, and we can all start from looperman :D or we can all just go rocking with Silverman and the camper van on tour :D

good luck!

15. 796294
    silverman : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

Ha ha the camper van tour .... sounds good and yes I understand the jealous bit it's what drove me to get one.
    So far we've got all the passenger seats out but we can't stop driving around in it it's going to take ages to convert. Did a thousand miles in it recently and it runs a treat. Thing is the rhythm of the road and the lights are becoming music. Stopped putting the radio on. even writing poems songs about the road. Might make some vids and put my tunes to them. Keep at it everybody and enjoy the buzz. Once the buzz goes the music stops but it doesn't mean it stops forever.

16. 1223101

i can see it now, front cover news the camper van the silver lights hits the road tour by storm, i can imagine the album cover too, old style tape decks player etc hehehe :D :D :D

17. 1223101

straight to this weeks no. 1 Silverlights by The Silverman

ok i think i need another drink lol hahahaha

18. 2769873
    cmdnm : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

I am not really long into producing, but in my opinion you should just take a break for a few weeks or months.
    Clear your mind.

19. 1115991
    MenschEden : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

I sense insecurity in making decisions... *g

You always wanted to do it, then why do you listen to people who cant feel your believes? So, since you're asking around here on LM, you're on a good way, I think.

Topicaly I feel you so good, just don't give up.
    Like others've already said: take a break, get some fresh air, new impressions for new inspiration. Give yourself enough room and space that no oppinion from whoever is shoving your mindset away of passion to critizism. That is going on till it hurts physically.

You will end up criticizing every piece you make, comparing only the bads, missing the goods. The love to it will be dominated by concerning if, and if not... that isn't very healthy.

Mindsets, perspectives..
    Just everytime I tried to get something out with my old mindset I got over the years during my autodidactive education, I did not realize I was in kind of a apprenticeship and was subconsciously looking for a master to approve what I was doing... over several years.
    I also began to make my passion and workflow kind of dependened on success of each track, or feedback to it, anything exchange-related. What I lost was my ear for details, for the fun and so on... I end up producing pieces in under 6 hours, rushing to the top, missing the audible details, and getting physically drained.

You know what resonance is? What are your believes in this topic? Do you really believe in your music, in yourself making this music? Like Spivkurl mentioned: get the tools. And in undertone: make yourself independent. You want to produce, then f***ing do it! imho...

If your heart says yes, train your mindset to be independent and based on just making music and how to do something. Not what it will bring for the future, or if it's worth it. The worth...
    When you feel a great piece and realize that YOU have done that greatness.. wow, thats worth, self reflective!
    Money can't buy that. Buddism says: wealth starts inside by feeling worthy and wealthy already. Think about your energys

You have no success? Maybe something's just missing or you lit the candle on both sides before, giving yourself to much pressure cause of environmental input, what causes you to rush things.. what mostly ends up in doing the same procedures many many times without noticing the lack of creativity. like on an assembly or production belt. No personal evolution, no creativity, same .. same .. same ... that sucks, right? *g

I hope I did not have to much interpreted here *g
    But.. this topics gets to my heart. Just take a break. Listen to your belly, or where every your hearts brain is located ;)

I wish you the best to get rid of the negative voices and some new passion and much power for your fulfillment. Remind: you want to do it, then just do it!

20. 920952
    zipbass : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

Get Freelance status (or close to in your country)
    Offer to Record AND Mix AND mastering : Voices, Guitar, Bass, Piano. (it's cheap to get good hardware for this, USB mic and a curtain to cut reverb of your room, anti-pop..)
    You can do it at your home, in your freetime.
    You can create facebook etc ...dedicated page and get feedback..etc

Many bands (or solo singer/rap) (acoustic pop/alt pop/hiphop...) need to record a audio model to approach the concert halls or to create soundcloud/youtube/facebook profile and post online.
    And pro studio is too expensive, for that.

If you want be paid ... seeking in real life, forget the internet for now and offer what peoples need, to start.
    Later you will be paid for you really like to do.

Or ... Learn to do LIVE stuff to mix in public. (but hardware is expensive) and contact all yours local club.
    Or ... become a wedding DJ ?

That's my point of view.

21. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 16th Sep 2018 : 6 months ago

Lots of good advice being laid out here! The best of it has led me to say "Elect squirrel for president in 2020!" A minibus would make a decent campaign headquarters. heh

22. 158267
    Symmetric : Tue 8th Jan 2019 : 2 months ago

Thanks all so much for the kind responses! I did re-install everything afterwards, due to me spending a sh*t load of time listening to a LOT of peoples tracks on here and thinking...."f*ck it, I miss my FL Studio!"

Likewise to everyone else here, I wish you all the best!

By the way, did that camper van tour happen after? lol

Posts 1 - 22 of 22

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads