In Detroit Then Make A Record

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 308224
    theHumps : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 4 years ago

I found a video last week about a record store in Detroit Michigan, USA that not only sells records and merchandise but you can record yourself and watch your recording pressed right there at the shop. It happens to be owned by Jack White of the White Stripes/Raconteurs... fame.

Adam Savage from the television show Mythbusters walks the viewers through the store and then records a short acoustic song and goes through the process until it is packaged and ready to be sent.

Pretty interseting and fun video, about half an hour long. So the next time you are in Detroit, get "in the groove" and go cut a record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF4A4wdnXkU

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 1st May 2018 : 4 years ago

Holy cow, that's awesome Wayne! Audiophiles will be rejoicing watching this....too late for me though I've gone 100% digital recording and given all my vinyl,amp and record player to my nephew. lol

3. 2375453
    cptusername : Tue 1st May 2018 : 4 years ago

Yo really cool post, actually learned alot of stuff. Didn't know Adam Savage did stuff like that (haven't been following him since Mythbusters).

4. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Thu 3rd May 2018 : 4 years ago

Just the discussion about the mics shows that a lot of thought and meticulous details when into setting things up correctly. I heard vinyl has made some type of resurgence in a few niche places. But that record vending machine, wow, that's awesome, I would like one of those.

So Wayne, where is your record? Are you going to head up that way? Man, the whole assembly plant looks way cool. There is something about listening to music from a vinyl LP, reading and looking at its cover artwork. One of the best parts was reading the sleeve insert that sometimes had even more info and pictures. Vinyl sure does brings back fond memories for me. Mine had a lot of crunchy static, pops, and ticks! Cool Wayne!

5. 847669
    EricMilligan : Thu 3rd May 2018 : 4 years ago

Thanks, Wayne, for the heads-up on this video. It was REALLY interesting! I also watched the follow-up video where he got the test pressings for approval.

Can you believe having a job where you listen to one in every 25 disks from an output run to make sure they sound good? Would be OK if the music was good. Could be brutal if it wasn't. But, and I'm a bit unclear on this, I got the impression that they were pressing re-issues of old releases, not just new stuff.

So, here's my contribution. You and other experienced Looperman members probably have heard of this before, but I hadn't.

I was reading the Wikipedia article on Soul music last night and followed a link to the article on Southern Soul. That led me (somehow) to an article that mentioned a big concert that Stax Records had put on in LA in 1972 to commemorate the Watts riots. Film was called "WattsStax", made by David Wolper.

Absolutely amazing film, great artists playing live. Interviews were really interested, and somewhat depressing because although much has changed, so many of the issues raised are still very relevant.

Complete film is available on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_P6ZWUJIa0

6. 2375453
    cptusername : Thu 3rd May 2018 : 4 years ago

Eric awesome link as well. Wasn't able to watch the whole film due to some time restraints, but I'm looking forward to finishing it. It's very interesting!

7. 308224
    theHumps : Thu 3rd May 2018 : 4 years ago

Hey Joe! I agree, the mic placement and choice was interesting. I would love to go do that. And I agree, I miss reading the liner notes and if it contained the lyrics then it was a jackpot!

Dave, I still have my albums and a turntable and I just found a local place to buy a replacement belt to get it running again.

I think having the job as the listener in the QC part of it would be a cool gig and I agree with you Eric, If I didn't like the music could I stand doing that job for very long? Sounds to me like they were pressing Other label's music but a selected few. It wasn't made all that clear.

Pretty cool to see the whole process though.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.