Low Humming Noise

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 1962250
    eggs0ntoast : Sun 29th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

hi yall, i had this problem scince changing laptops, whats happening is a low humm or buzz is coming throughto the monitors, .. 1st i blamed the internal fan as other la[top no fan and no noise either n its been mentioned in the oast a few times.. but after a seek and and destroy mission to murder the culpret i traced it bact to my external hard drive motor, when ever disk spins up the noise level increases and decreases along with the HDD.. i eliminated a A/C wall power problem and everything else in between is fine, i have electronics assembly background but man it been some years now and i aint no engineer but i tried to chase up information to possibly make a filter inline with the soundcard output thinking like i could get one from electronic hobby store like jaycar but didnt come across any circuit diagram or info bout the effect of removing a frequencuy like that in comparison to the end result of producing an instrumental if you get me.. a ferrite ring has been suggested as used in power supply input line like car stereo but i dont think a motor noise is the same as unclean power supply idk ive overthought it ignored it tried live with it now i cant take it anymore lmao... oh i dont use the monitors cause of this right now but man i want to use like not many could understand lol....
    any advice anyone...anyone............

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 29th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Hey there mate been down this track as well many many times, sorting out background hum can (will) drive a person crazy, apart from checking all cables etc which you have already done I would recommend getting a power conditioner like a Furman M-10xE, this will eliminate just about every electrical sound glitch you can think of...A lot of the time when you have monitors plugged into different power points you experience ground loops, power spikes from appliances turning on and off and all these things can cause hum, dropouts and raise the background sound floor of your audio interface..getting a power conditioner lets you plug everything into one source which is stable and insulated against interference, best audio sound investment I ever made.

3. 1783701
    Auver : Sun 29th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Are you using an external dac? Internal dacs can suffer from electrical interference, causing strange oddities in passive sound produced from some monitors.

Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.