DAW Installing Upgrade Vs New Install

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Tue 24th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Will be purchasing the just released update to Acid Pro (you can check Acid Pro 8 on the Magix site). I have had Acid Pro 7 on my pc (Win 7 64 bit) since the last version...about 2011...Am I better off to pay the extra $50 or so an do a completely new install of the DAW & all the software it comes with??? or is it worth buying the upgrade to save the $ (for beer or something else good)....My own feeling is that I should get the full new version & avoid any upgrade issues since the investment should be useful for several years.....Appreciate the advice from those of you who are better informed than me.....and thanks for any input you may have.....Ed

2. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Wed 25th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Hey Ed! I used to use Acid Pro 7 long ago, it was seemingly sent to the graveyard for it's lack of VST-64 support. Typically when these DAW's changes corporate hands sometimes the new vendor just slaps on their corporate branded identity and that's that. But with 64 bit support finally and VST3 support, it's a new animal, and that is a welcome long overdue change. Although you ran Acid Pro 7 (32-bit) on a Win64 PC, that really means absolutely nothing. Your Acid Pro 7 experience would still be 32-bit.

You can still buy the upgrade to Acid Pro 8 and tell it to do a fresh and clean install. It just scans and polls your machine to see if you were previously licensed properly. So buy the upgrade to save on cash, but do not allow it to update or overwrite your current config. Rather, you can tell it install to a new location. You will still get the full product version but installed in a new location once it verifies that you are correctly previously licensed Acid customer. Most of your old .acd project files will still load.

3. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Wed 25th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

I was hoping you would stop by Joe...you are the best source of advice on this stuff I have ever found...got into Acid Pro years ago mainly with the idea of drum loops..noticed the great in-line editing & other features incl. ease of use etc (for an old guitar player)..never even needed the manual....Will wait a month or so & check for reliable reviews & the user help site to see what issues people i.d...then (probably) buy it.....Big thanks Joe...really appreciated....Ed

4. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Wed 25th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Thanks Ed, good luck! But FYI, most of your previous .acd project files will load as I previously stated. Why did I say most? Because you may have to re-install (not recommended) some of your old VST32's on Acid64 Pro 8 and they may not load. You will have to buy their VST-64bit counterparts(recommended by me).

Why do we want 64bit VST's? Because of the 64 bit VST has a great ability to handle memory in complex or large Acid music production and situations more efficiently which then also allows for greater precision for the VST as a guest in your new 64-bit DAW. Why is all of this important? Because it all relates to the memory space the VST occupies and uses as a guest on your DAW. Sometimes VST's can go rogue and can take down the DAW or the computer without warning, again memory handling most likely the culprit. VST's are leading reason why nearly most DAW's crash anyway. Although Steinberg (Cubase) created the VST standard, some developers do take shortcuts and try to overite some actual Windows system DLL's. Fortunately now Microsoft and Apple have protected system cores for this problem.

But above all why we want 64bit VST's, some vendors now will only write and create 64-bit VST's because the 32bit ones represent an old and outdated platform and present many challenges to creating stable code in a 64bit OS world now. Whatever you do Ed, I wish you luck man! Joe.

5. 851137
    crucethus : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

So after playing around with Acid 8 for two days. Joe is completely correct.VST 32's will not work with this, so I have some go to VST's I can't use like Leftover Lasagna's Pushtek, or some old Audio Damage stuff. There is cosmetic changes to the GUI, and I appreciate the automation now avail on the faders, but other than that, it's the same old Acid. On a bad note the Magix (some old sony) VST's cause major app crashes and memory draws. So Far I give it a MEH! as Acid is my longtime friend and go to daw. At least ISOTOPE 8 works well with it.
    Cru

6. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

I just switch over to Acid Music Studio when I want to use my 64 bit vsti stuff Steve...works fine...& I can open the project in Pro or just render to audio & bring the file into pro....I liked the old Sony basic sweapable eq & track comp...don`t think there is much else in their folder I would notice gone..if much the same I wont mind I guess...just be able to use the things I now switch to studio version to use....Ed

7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

I've heard about this program but never actually used it, enables 32bit vst's to work on 64bit systems http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=182.0

8. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Dave, a caveat needs to be put next to that bridging program when using it with Acid Pro. It is a handoff app occupying its own memory space. But enough is not known yet about the stability of Acid Pro 8. Acid Pro 7 was quite temperamental and was known to crash often when using Jbridge to bridge VST64s to Acid pro 7's 32-bit system while live recording which is something to think about. This also affected 32bit to 32bit bridging as well on the old Acid pro 7 32bit system. Even huge Kontakt libraries also would take down Acid pro 7 so I jumped ship and stopped using Acid Pro 7 back in 2014.

9. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 30th Apr 2018 : 1 year ago

Oh, one more thing, you can add more than one VST folder location for Acid Pro 8 to scan but there is no guarantee the old 32s will load. Avoid mixing 32bit VSTs and their DLLs with 64-bit ones because sometimes the dll names are identical and such mixing could trigger a big problem. Acid Pro 8 claims it can load 32-VSTs but I strongly caution against that for the earlier reason that I stated here but mostly for a stable system. VST3 support is not available yet in Acid Pro 8 but soon it will be as a free update for Acid Pro 8 customers only. Peace!

Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads