This Is Why I Am A Sound Engineer And Its Not What You Think

Posts 1 - 11 of 11
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago As some of you may know, I have become more focused on music production nowadays than songwriting. I've been recording since late 2012 until now (6 years!! Where has the time gone?). I have fallen in love with all things recording - mixing by far being my favorite thing to do.

The REAL reason I do this, however, was because I found myself in what is now a 3-year dry spell in terms of writing music. I can no longer string words together in a way that I like. I struggle so desperately to find authenticity in what I'm saying and I end up canning 100% of the things I've written.

I don't know why.

Lyrics used to flow so easily.

Now it seems like everything is dry, empty, lacking meaning for me. How do I find this again? I admire bands like The Goo Goo Dolls and Switchfoot who always have amazing lyrical talent, and dream of being as good as they are one day; it makes me miss songwriting so, so much but I can't get past the hurdle of not liking what I put down on paper, and now I fall deeper into this pit with every hour I spend focusing on other people's music.

Help!

Brado
  2. 2431535
    Rockerboi78 : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago You just need to write what you feel sounds good. Start from there. Eventually it won't be so hard to come up with creative lyrics anymore.
  3. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Reverse what you are doing Brado...i've heard your music for years now...and no matter you put out..its always 100% Solid.

Do less remixing of other peoples music, that way you are not picking up their flow & vibe and so you have more headspace to naturally produce quality music and lyrics rather than storing music you may not normally create....i had a total blank space for about two years...and realized it was because my head was so full of remixes and mixdowns i was doing for others,that i had no actual storage space left....it will come back...just keep pushing you creative music more than other first.

Regards,
    DJ-SLT-UK
  4. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Similar posts have been posted here over the years and there's been a lot of advice given on remedies for writer's block, the trouble is a few sentences aren't going to cure your slump and I doubt very much anyone has ever been helped by online philosophers, In my case I think visually, read a lot and I try and not step on ants but every day I still accidentally step on a few ants everybody does, the moral of the story is don't be too hard on yourself, you can't be anyone else, forget the Goo Goo Dolls and look at whats in front of you, the answer is down there amongst the ants.
  5. 630386
    JosephFunk : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Brado, I remembered when you first appeared as Epic Record. But when you finally flipped over to Brado Sanz that told me you were serious about being an artist. You locked yourself into artist mode for the long haul and that was great!

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/173428
    In your song above that has over 4k+ plays you said: Felt a spark of creativity last night and stayed up a bit......

You need to jump start that passion with even a bigger spark of creativity, but I think you know that already.
    Something else must be the cause of your transition. You always out here making songs and loops, playing your guitar and singing with a lot of passion, follow through and energy. And then you would also post some of your recorded live sessions on Youtube as well.

I recommend you take a break from all of this but come back after your break. Next, look into creating a band or collective of your own because you have been performing in your personal bubble for way too long and the bubble may have burst a while ago which is why you are mixing now. You need fresh ideas, purpose, and a new spark. But above all other things fix what might be wrong in your personal life first if that applies. Cheers! Good Luck Brado! Joe
  6. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Dude, you've only got so much energy. I think you walk away from all of it. Clear your head for a bit. Maybe stop having sex for a while too. Ha Ha. If that don't work then try having more sex, stuff you haven't tried. That creative energy will come back. It's just being spread too thin over too much stuff.
  7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Other people have given some good advice for sure!

Maybe it would help to work instrumentally for a time, without worrying about lyrics.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to make an instrumental album as all, but for a different reason. I've been able to write plenty of lyrics, yet finding the musical route which brings it together has been very difficult. This tells me that I have been unbalanced, and neglecting my instruments for the sake of literal expression.

I find that "referencing" other people's work can destroy my creative flow pretty quickly. Trying to sound "like" someone else's music, or "as good as" them can often lead to problems. Become what you are, and then become more yourself than you've ever thought possible.
  8. 1547231
    Lemonization : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago If it’s just the lyrics you’re having problems with why not collaborate with a lyricist. I’ve been doing just that recently and it’s taken the music I produce with them in a bit of a different direction so it’s been an interesting experience all round. Why not place an ad in the forum section or “producer seeking rappers” section as I like to call it now :)
  9. 1483495
    TRE24 : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago Don't try so hard!

Step back and pick the pen up when your body reaches for it, not your mind.

BE YOURSELF!

I've listened to your music in the past and your very talented! This glitch in the matrix is only temporary. Trust the process and stick to what you know best.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck,
    -T2
  10. 522916
    ConsciousEntitySound : Sat 17th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago First thing is first, you need to write for yourself! I remember when I first joined Looperman, the thought crossed my mind momentarily if folks would dig the kind of stuff I was writing about, but I quickly put that thought to bed more less by telling myself that I don't care because...I dig it. Sure enough, thousands of downloads later as well as several hundred remixes that have been sent to me, I was right in my somewhat apathetic approach of sharing my content.

When a song concept becomes contrived, it will always suck no matter who is writing it. It has to come from a place within you that makes you feel like you can't get your idea out fast enough, as you hammer the pen to the pad. It has to be real, whatever it is, so you can't think about it too much...you need only let me flow out without restriction.

I'd say my writing process is 50% content 50% technical, though I am a rapper and I think you're a singer, which would make your process a little different because I write in bars and fill up space whilst singers elongate words and produce unique melodies/harmonies.

You mentioned Goo Goo Dolls and Switchfoot. I think you should put them out of your mind. My approach at this point of my creative walk is to not allow myself to be influenced by any music in the broader spectrum. I want to sound like me, only me and with strength. Take the time to really develop your niche. The best thing you can give us is an authentic and developed you which is confident in all that you do. If you're confident, they'll dig it!

As for the process of getting out of writers block, there is only one true known way to do this that I have found. Feels. You need to get acquainted with your emotions again and if your emotions are such that nothing comes out when you write, you need to seek out inspiration in other places. Youtube is a good place for that. It can come through laughter, watching funny videos. It can come through listening to people's stories of perseverance. It can come from many avenues, but you gotta search! Once you start feeling that momentum start to pick up again it's critical you put it to use in your music ASAP. The rate that the momentum grows is faster than it declines, so if you continually put in that work you're good! The margin between you and writers block will get bigger and bigger. It's those long inactive periods, that really hurt us! It can be really hard to pick yourself up again after being inactive for so long, but it IS possible!

Hope this helps! :)
  11. 841435
    ValveDriver : Mon 19th Mar 2018 : 4 months ago There’s a lot of good advice here. I’ll tell you what I do, then you can either take it or leave it.
    When I’m having trouble coming up with anything new, I will switch up my listening genres. For example, when I listen too much to the same genre that I’m trying to create, I find myself trying to emulate instead of create. When that happens, I will start listening to a completely different genre for fresh sounds, compositions, instrumentation, etc. So, when I’m creating a metal tune and get stuck, I’ll listen to some dark DnB, or Neurofunk, or anything that uses no guitars at all. I will start dissecting those tracks and completely purge the metal from my system. After about a month or so, Without even trying, the ideas for metal will just begin to flow again. Sometimes, as with anything in life, all you need is a different perspective.

Like I said, take it or leave it. Either way, best of luck to you, man. Typically, you put out some quality tunes. I’m confident you will return in full force.

Take care.
    V.
Posts 1 - 11 of 11

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Pop Track