Favorite Off-Brand Instruments

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Wed 14th Mar 2018 : 6 days ago The threads seem a little same ole same ole so I thought I would see if we could get a discussion going of your favorite off brand instrument companies.

Personally I buy a lot of off brand guitars, I have found some brands that are close enough to the big brands that I don't feel the need to spend the extra money. Some of them come to me ready to play and sound awesome, others I get just to upgrade to my liking. My favorite brands are SX guitars from Rondo Music, Harley Benton from Thomann, and Xaviere from GuitarFetish. All three brands make great guitars for the budget conscious, they are great out of the box, most need little setup, and upgrading obviously makes them even better.

Anyway, do you have any brands that you like that make surprisingly great instruments for a reasonable price? Please share if you do!!

2. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 14th Mar 2018 : 6 days ago Cool topic Kyle.I could talk about this stuff for weeks on end,Ive been like most guitarists and lusted after the top brands since I was a kid and do own some very cool and expensive vintage instruments however my whole outlook has changed in regards to guitars,different brands and the cost effective solution to the age old dilemma,what should the novice or professional buy.For me its easy I now make all my own stringed instruments and without any false modesty their as good if not better than many top shelf brands,after decades of playing,fixing and dreaming about guitars I decided.Hell I can do that,in fact I now make guitars for my friends without breaking their bank,my advice to anyone who is into guitars is pull a cheap one apart and see whats involved,its not rocket science but a fair degree of tool using acuity is required,my last build,a hollow body single humbucker direct wired six string is a total killer.I made the body,added a $36 dollar Chinese manufactured neck,total outlay for parts and materials $209.However if thats out of your skill set its still really important to understand how to set up a guitar,do the intonation,be able to do basic soldering and understand basic electronic pickup wiring, because then you can take any cheap mass produced guitar or bass and optimise it,bring me the worst guitar you can find and Ill be able to get it up and sounding way better easily, now this isnt a blurb about me far from it because anyone can do this stuff,you just have to be interested.Guitars are essentially just pieces of wood and wire,brand names are unimportant and I havent mentioned any so get an el cheapo from a pawn shop,then apply the golden rule,if it sounds good unplugged itll sound good plugged,if it sounds good unplugged and lousy plugged,fix it,go to my profile page to see some of these home made guitars.
  3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Wed 14th Mar 2018 : 6 days ago I'll recommend the Harley Benton from Thomann as well. Some of them are ready to go while some need some adjustments. On some models I did find some intonation problems and most of them, at least for me, require some string height adjustements. But overall great bang for the money. Beware that on some models the radius of the fretboard is nonexistent, it's flat and for most players I've worked with that was a thing they hated.

Check out their guutar cabinets as well if you are into performing live or recording real amps and cabs. They have some pretty amazing ones.
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 14th Mar 2018 : 5 days ago As far as guitars go, I would have to list Hohner. I've been playing the ST-57 for quite some time now, and I still love it. It's basically a stratocaster copy, but has some of it's own quirks. Apparently they are from around 1984-85. Definitely more enjoyable to play than any Squire's I've picked up.
  5. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Wed 14th Mar 2018 : 5 days ago Dave, that is where I am heading next is to build my own guitars, I am an engineering/shop teacher at a high school and have access to a full shop and a computerized mill, all I have to do is design the body on the computer and let it do the work. The nice thing is a lot of things can be found online already to get me started. Reading diagrams and soldering is pretty easy for me so I guess I just need to take the leap.

Mahloo, you are right about the HB's needing some setting up at times, I don't mind that, I actually enjoy do that stuff and see it as an inexpensive way to learn a new skill.
Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track